Nugget Shooter Forums

Help me identify green rock?

hcc

Here's a rock I found in a local wash.

I did the specific gravity and it is 2.5.

The green surfaces are smooth and have a luster like waxen or maybe pearl or milky? Like fudge right before it cools.

Red areas are dull and rough.

Green areas don't scratch with a steel knife (didn't test anything else).

Found in an area of greenstone, sandstone, shale, conglomerate, maybe chert.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!

hcc

post-25907-0-76568700-1322445608_thumb.j

post-25907-0-55206700-1322445710_thumb.j

If you have green jasper, that stone is used in jewelry making. Most of it comes from Africa and Peru. It also is sold as a healing stone on the metaphysical market.

post-21285-0-90937300-1322528293_thumb.j

If you have green jasper, that stone is used in jewelry making. Most of it comes from Africa and Peru. It also is sold as a healing stone on the metaphysical market.

Mine looks a little bit like the jasper posted about a day after me (a couple of postings above), but his red color appears to be part of the hard/shiny "quartzy" part of the rock, whereas in mine the reddish stuff is a separate mineral, dull and rough, running through the quartz-y stuff.

But my thing doesn't really look like all the flint arrowheads I've seen. It's a lot greener and almost translucent, whereas they are grayish and completely opaque.

Hm...

I think I found a small green jasper like in your your photo once out West, but forget where....possibly southern California. The red could be an inclusion of red jasper which can be dull or oily smooth too.

Archived