Nugget Shooter Forums

12 Volt Mining

Crab_Cake

I am planning on going mining this spring up in Idaho. My grandfather owns some gold bearing land in a very remote region. My mom and dad placer mined the creeks that run through his property back in the 80s and were able to make a living at it.

Anyways it hasn't been touched in 24 years. (since I was born) I am planning on making a small trip up there right when the snow melts and doing some tests to see if I can find a bit of gold. I will also be mapping out the property and getting a lay of the land. If I find some gold and can make a decent ROI than I will be staying the entire summer up there. This is a very remote region, 45 miles of dirt roads to the nearest town and its at about 6000 feet elevation.

I am new to this but I have been reading every book on gold mining and gold geology I can find and have been researching all I can on the internet. I am sure I will have a bunch of questions for you guys in the coming months. =D

Anyways I have been looking at power sluices and highbankers and it seems like that is the way to go. I was really interested in the Jobe Magnum Power Sluice. It seems that it would be much nicer to spend hours and hours in the scenic mountains with a quiet 12v system than an annoying gas pump. I want to use that sluice for my main runnings and then build a popandson sluice for fine gold recovery.

The main concern is the pump. The Jobe comes with this 2200 GPH Johnson Bilge Pump. I would like to use this pump with the main sluice and with the popandson by installing a DC variable motor controller to reduce the flow and the battery usage when needed. Do you think that this setup will work or will using the PWM system on a bilge pump destroy it?

I am trying to keep everything low cost and as eco-conscious as possible. I really like the idea of running everything off of batteries and maybe even getting a solar power system to charge it all. Clean, silent, and free energy. =D

In extreme areas electic is a total pain and no volume in them tinker toys you mentioned. You want a gas engine and something you feed with a shovel as the MORE you move the MORE you make. Look at Proline as built industrial tough. I hope you realize that NO DREDGING IN IDAHO is now the EPA ban as of this year :nutty: Backcountry mining is my absolute favorite as nuttn' but you,critters and gold and the disreality of reality be damned and all is good. tons a au 2 u 2-John

Are you planning on mining bench gravels above the stream? Reason I ask is because my experience with those electric pumps is that they can't pump very high so that setup might be useless depending on where you are aiming at digging. Your gonna need like at least 200W of solar panel and an extra battery to use while the spare charges, and hope the sky stays clear and blue daily too.

If eco is a concern then you could save money and pack weight by just building a portable grizzly, I made one out of 1/2" wire cloth, some basic hardware, and a large hard plastic tub, classifies faster than you can shovel and no messing with the hand classifiers. Then you can just hike the dirt down to a sluice set up in the stream and let the water do the work of your pump for free. Honestly you'd probably process just as much that way as with that Jobe unit. If you are like 20ft above the water level or something then you'll have to go with gas or you'll need a giant solar array and a much much bigger pump.

If your working gravels in the stream then....well, get a nice gas power dredge and you'll thank yourself a million times over for it. :D

Anyways, good job researching everything before diving in headfirst, always the best idea.

Thanks! I am thinking of actually setting up a big basin full of water and just have the sluice recirculate the water. If it doesn't work I will just use the sluice in the stream. Since this is a closed river in Idaho I have to get a permit, even though my family owns the land. I figure it will help my permit chances if everything is environmentally sound. Plus the nearest gas station is over an hour and half away. Gasoline is expensive. I can make a 1 kilowatt solar system for under $500. After the initial investment that is just free energy and should pay for itself.

Plus I figure that it can power the cabin I am planning to build up there.

In extreme areas electic is a total pain and no volume in them tinker toys you mentioned. You want a gas engine and something you feed with a shovel as the MORE you move the MORE you make. Look at Proline as built industrial tough. I hope you realize that NO DREDGING IN IDAHO is now the EPA ban as of this year :nutty: Backcountry mining is my absolute favorite as nuttn' but you,critters and gold and the disreality of reality be damned and all is good. tons a au 2 u 2-John

I agree with John & Steve. Pumps use a lot of amps. The battery bank you would need to work all day on electric would be expensive. It would weigh more than a gas engine and you'd burn a lot of gas or need a bunch of solar panels trying to keep them charged up. If your folks made a few bucks in the 80's you should have no problem at today's gold prices.

*Be sure to check current mining regulations in ID before you invest in any equipment.

Like the rest of them said, for get the electric stuff for this kind

of operation. You are plaining to be there at the start of the season

so there should be good run off, maybe more than you want, but

this can work for you if you use a sluice.

Try to match your equipment with the kind of ground you expect

to mine ( keep the Gov. or the state out of yout plans if at all possible )

If there is any creeks running down from higher up close enough you

might be able to divert some of it to where your material is coming

from. Maybe by layflat hose or PVC if not to far.

Always try to get your water to your material instead of the other

way around, works way more better that way! Your material may

not have good pay streaks in it, it could be scattered to the point

that you have to keep moving your equipment to stay in the pay

and if you do, the more equipment you are useing the more a pain

it's going to be. Remember KISS!

Good Luck

Be sure to take photo's and to keep

a journal of your adventure

If you have a lot of organic matter in your dirt like small bits of roots or a lot of silt then the recirculating system is gonna be more work than it's worth, you'll spend a lot of time cleaning and screening your water. It works ok for the smaller recirc units but if you want to shovel like you would into a highbanker then forget about it unless you have another person there to take care of the water full time as you shovel. I've tried it on a number of occasions with different screening systems and it always ends up being more hassle than its worth, easier to just shovel into a grizzly and send your dirt down a canvas chute to the stream or hike it down with buckets. At least for me I feel like I process 5-6x the dirt that way.

Yeah can't go wrong with building a solar system if you are already building a cabin back there. Where do you get the parts for a 1kW system for $500 though? Musta gone way way down in price the last few years because I remember looking at 200W panel and the cheapest I could find was $300/ea!! When you say system are you talking batteries, panels and mounts, inverter, and charge controller all for $500???? Hook me up with a link if so. :miner:

I was thinking of building my own panels. You can buy the actual cells on ebay in bulk/ It looks like its a fairly hard and time consuming project though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1kw-DIY-solar-cells-panel-kit-6x6-cells-wire-kit-each-cell-4w-no-low-power-/150709039425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316f57141#ht_1934wt_1396

Ah yep. I bought 400W of 6x6 cells last year. It's pretty time consuming. About 10% arrive broken and you end up breaking a few while soldering them too, they are really quite fragile. I got as far as making 1 75W panel and lost interest, it took me forever to get it built and then I had no real good way of casing it professionally so that they wouldn't break and I kinda wished I just woulda bought premade panels instead. They definately do work though if you have the patience and the tools and material to build something good to encase them in. Good luck.

I figure I will make a frame with a plywood backing and a plexiglass front. I hear the plexiglass yellows over time but I still figure its better to have the durability of the plexi than to go with glass. A lot of guys use glass in the front and then pour in a clear resin over the back which works pretty well too.

Welcome new Idaho miner. :miner:

If you are on a "closed" stream/river in Idaho, you won't be able to use your sluice in the stream. Closed streams are panning only, but check with your local water quality people as there seems to be some differences in opinions on the regulations of non-powered sluices in different areas. So your only option is some type of closed loop system as water from your operations can not flow back to the stream. Since you own the land, you won't have any land use problems.

What type of closed loop system to use depends on the volume of material you want to move. If you are going to do some testing by digging 4 or 5 buckets from a hole and running that, then a portable closed loop system will work for you. I have a small system that uses a 25 gallon tub, 12 gallons of water, using an electric pump into a poop tube. It's slow, but gets the job done. After 4 or 5 buckets I have to change the water, which will be about right if you are moving to a new test hole after 5 buckets.

If you want something bigger, you should look into digging a small pond and recirculating the water from the pond. Use a gas pump to pump new water in from the stream when needed.

Another thing to keep in mind if you want to go all electric is the lay of your location. I have panned at a spot in north ID where I was only getting direct sunlight from about 10 am till 3 pm, so your benefit from solar panels might be limited. Just something to look at before you buy.

I also have a Keene 2.5 inch dredge/highbanker combo. While using it as a highbanker, the pump is running at just above idol and I use about a gallon of gas a day. So for the $500 cost of the solar array, you could run all summer. It's also portable enough to be moving every 5 buckets while your are exploring.

Good luck, If you're in southern Idaho I might be able to give you a hand with your initial testing.

If you are on a "closed" stream/river in Idaho, you won't be able to use your sluice in the stream. Closed streams are panning only, but check with your local water quality people as there seems to be some differences in opinions on the regulations of non-powered sluices in different areas. So your only option is some type of closed loop system as water from your operations can not flow back to the stream. Since you own the land, you won't have any land use problems.

What type of closed loop system to use depends on the volume of material you want to move. If you are going to do some testing by digging 4 or 5 buckets from a hole and running that, then a portable closed loop system will work for you. I have a small system that uses a 25 gallon tub, 12 gallons of water, using an electric pump into a poop tube. It's slow, but gets the job done. After 4 or 5 buckets I have to change the water, which will be about right if you are moving to a new test hole after 5 buckets.

If you want something bigger, you should look into digging a small pond and recirculating the water from the pond. Use a gas pump to pump new water in from the stream when needed.

Another thing to keep in mind if you want to go all electric is the lay of your location. I have panned at a spot in north ID where I was only getting direct sunlight from about 10 am till 3 pm, so your benefit from solar panels might be limited. Just something to look at before you buy.

I also have a Keene 2.5 inch dredge/highbanker combo. While using it as a highbanker, the pump is running at just above idol and I use about a gallon of gas a day. So for the $500 cost of the solar array, you could run all summer. It's also portable enough to be moving every 5 buckets while your are exploring.

Good luck, If you're in southern Idaho I might be able to give you a hand with your initial testing.

Right on. Thanks for the info. I have been in contact with the Idaho dept of water resources. They told me to submit a joint permit for stream alteration and that once it was submitted and approved then I should be fine. I submitted it a week ago and am going to call them up soon to make sure its all in order. There are no salmon in the creek I'll be at and its not in salmon season either so there shouldn't be any reason to deny the permit.

I think I am abandoning the 12v mining idea. I will probably just be running a stream sluice and maybe get a highbanker rig set up but I'm not sure yet. The claim is in the Boise National Forest BTW.

It sounds like Idaho is in line for new ownership. The enviros and land control freaks need to be thrown out on their butts and the people need to take back their state, but then we have the same problems here in Oregon.

Gramps

I am curious about your electric setup. Im looking at putting together a recirculating electric power sluice with a Keene A52. My main question is if you are using a car battery how long can you run for on a single charge as well as pump size, ect. Any info would be great. Thanks

I am curious about your electric setup. Im looking at putting together a recirculating electric power sluice with a Keene A52. My main question is if you are using a car battery how long can you run for on a single charge as well as pump size, ect. Any info would be great. Thanks

Hi i can give an answer regarding a 2000gph TMC bilge pump will last 4hrs then another 1hr average flow thats based on a 35ah deep cycle battery (smallish) also thats running constant and could last longer if turned off for a rest, i know this because (shameless plug sorry moderators)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSw2bGk0ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1EPgEdlaY

batteries have come a long way and considering the pump is rated 10 amps it is only drawing say 6ish so the equations do add up now days 35ah = 4-5hrs haha you get it (beer in hand) so add up the amps test if you can and have a bit of faith in GOOD batts not cheap crap hey challenge the salesman and say "how about we learn together which is better we can do a test"

Cheers

Hi i can give an answer regarding a 2000gph TMC bilge pump will last 4hrs then another 1hr average flow thats based on a 35ah deep cycle battery (smallish) also thats running constant and could last longer if turned off for a rest, i know this because (shameless plug sorry moderators)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSw2bGk0ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1EPgEdlaY

batteries have come a long way and considering the pump is rated 10 amps it is only drawing say 6ish so the equations do add up now days 35ah = 4-5hrs haha you get it (beer in hand) so add up the amps test if you can and have a bit of faith in GOOD batts not cheap crap hey challenge the salesman and say "how about we learn together which is better we can do a test"

Cheers

Thanks thats perfect.