Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buckshot

Any relationship between downed trees and geology underneath ?

In the woodlands on my farm there seems to be one area where there are more downed trees than the rest of woodlands, I'm not talking about a freak wind storm, some are freshly uprooted and others are from earlier period. Just curious if this might be an indicator of any thing mineralogically in that particular area. The property is located in Western North Carolina in one of the gold belts and there is gold on the farm which was mined in the 1800's & 1900's, however they did not mine in this particular area of the farm. Would like some input from more knowledgeable people than myself, thanks for any help.

You ever heard of that movie "Tremors"?

Make sure you have some nice big rocks to jump up on... Just in case :)

Sorry, not a clue if mineralization could have an effect. But geological forces could be at work... And I would be nervous about that.

But it could just be a soil issue. Are all the trees that have fallen around the same size? Loose soil could be overcome at a certain weight and the trees fall.

You say it is a known gold area... Are you at least doing a little prospecting out there?

GlennM, the soil is not loose, plenty of ground cover and not really steep, these are pretty good size trees, have not prospected in this particular area, maybe I should though. Our deer gun season opens today and yesterday I was posting property lines when I noticed this area, will have to wait til deer season ends or go on Sunday Evenings after church since you can't gun hunt on Sundays in NC.

I remember having to do the property lines thing during deer season in AR. What a pain.Ifmfolks would just ask we would let them hunt for free. Instead, I would take my two stroke dirt bike with race pipes out there every morning before school and run the line. Wasn't a deer within a mile of the line after that. Ticked off a few folks, but my dad would walk out with his armament and kindly walk them back to the line to show them the private property signs every 30' and kindly ask them to get off our land.

Are the root structures balled due to impenetrable ground down low, so as to not allow the trees to get a good root system? Could be shallow bedrock and the trees aren't getting a good hold. It doesn't take much slope at all to make a tree tipsy. Imagine the leverage put on the roots by a 20-30' tall tree with the fulcrum being the surface of the ground.

Won't know till you do a bit of exploring, though. Have fun and listen for the zingers.

:D ez to answer. Tree and all folage have a lifetime same as humans and all critters. What you are seeing is a area that was disturbed and all die of old age in unison. Or--climatic changes have affected and bugs/diseases are also culprits, Look around your local area to see if same same?? Take some samples to your local university and go to ag dept or local old school nursery to get your answers. Losing trees is a huge bummer,hope you get to the bottom of the problem asap-John :aw-shucks:

What types of trees. What HJ posted is pretty much spot on---epecially if the tress are all the same. Not to mention the problems that the App. Range has had the last decade with bore beetles wiping out entire stands of pines--the Hemlocks being wipe out by a plight---etc.

On thing to consider is the topo of the land. Straight line winds and micro-bursts do really strange things to trees.

If they are oaks---get out your beeper. I would always beep uprooted oaks with good results. A large Oak can be older than the original gold rushes in that area--

There is not so many that it is catastrophic, the trees are mostly oak some of the older ones that are down I'm not sure since they have rottened some. In our area we do have the wooly adgelid or however it is spelled which attacks primarily hemlock trees but none of these are hemlocks, the terrain is not steep and elevation is 1350-1400 ft. The trees do turn up a pretty good size ball when they fall, maybe I need to dig under where the ball was and possibly see if bedrock is that shallow there and possibly run a metal detector also and possibly pan some of the material.

GlennM, trying to live in peace with the deer hunters they have a lease on the adjoining property. I did find an old blind and a plastic crate for a seat about 10 ft or so on my property while marking the lines.

Thanks all for the input.

GlennM, the soil is not loose, plenty of ground cover and not really steep, these are pretty good size trees, have not prospected in this particular area, maybe I should though. Our deer gun season opens today and yesterday I was posting property lines when I noticed this area, will have to wait til deer season ends or go on Sunday Evenings after church since you can't gun hunt on Sundays in NC.

I've read propecting articles where fallen trees, are mined for gold from the soil around the roots. Gold seems to collect in the roots of large trees, get too much, I could see how it might affect a tree by replacing soil. At least you don't know until panning out some of the dirt. If no gold, must be because of another factor. Gold probably doesn't hurt tree roots, but if they fall and have gold, is good for gold recovery.

One of the claims I had in Calif. had a mix of large Fir and Oak and I came to realize

over time, was the fact that the Fir trees with there TAP root could only grow over

areas on the claim that had a crack in the bedrock and that the Oak with there

shallow root system would grow over area's that did'ent. DUH !!!!!!!

If nothing else, the hole left by the root ball is an amount of overburden you don't have to dig through :)

Let us know.

@XT- the foliage of an area can lead you to the better gold, as you saw. Some plants just don't do well in the mineralization where gold is more likely and taproot trees can lead you to better bedrock features.

Someone told me about a plant in Gold Basin that indicates gold. Basically, if you see that plant, you're likely to find gold within a couple feet. I spent some time looking for a field of those things. Just wish I recalled the name now :)

Glenn,

I believe the name of plant for your area is the Desert Trumpet plant (Eriogonum inflatum), you can view pictures of the Desert Trumpet plant at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_trumpet

There are other plants that are indicators of mineralised ground that may contain gold for other areas of the country such Horsetail A.K.A. snake grass and puzzlegrass (Equisetum), pictures http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsetail

There are other plants as well that I can't remember at this time, some for other metals and some for gold, etc.

Skip

Skip - that's the one! Thanks!!!

Glenn ... some of us also refer to that plant as 'Rattle Weed' because when dry and the bulb is not punctured the contents 'rattle' when shaken. It grows in mineralized areas and because of that 'could' be an indicator of gold.

Glenn,

I believe the name of plant for your area is the Desert Trumpet plant (Eriogonum inflatum), you can view pictures of the Desert Trumpet plant at this link http://en.wikipedia..../Desert_trumpet

There are other plants that are indicators of mineralised ground that may contain gold for other areas of the country such Horsetail A.K.A. snake grass and puzzlegrass (Equisetum), pictures http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsetail

There are other plants as well that I can't remember at this time, some for other metals and some for gold, etc.

Skip

Very cool, about horsetail. I've encountered it many times over the years on nature walks. What's the connection with gold?

Very cool, about horsetail. I've encountered it many times over the years on nature walks. What's the connection with gold?

As mentioned by Mike concerning the Desert Trumpet plant...

The main connection is that it will grow in highly mineralised soil that most other plants will not grow in, but finding Horsetail will not garrentee that you will find gold, but if gold is known in the area your chances could be better because of the mineralised soil.

The same applies to most other indicator plants.

Skip

Au Seeker: Like your priorities, God, Family, Friends, and Gold

Buckshot

Thank you Buckshot, one does have to have priorities in this world, the family pets do fit in there ahead of gold as well, I'll most likely get bit if they ever find out I forgot to include them. :shhhhh:

Skip

Well I find in my old age that I tend to share or give away things that where given to me as secrets. one of them is the growth of trees.

Long before I got into gold prospecting I was full time R/V living and did a lot of research on crystals but I was just following the guide books.

Someone had told me about the Smokey Quartz at Lolo Pass MT. Well i went there and spent weeks searching and digging where others had dug, this was before the internet so you had to go to a large town with a college library to find geologic publications.

Fortunately at Lolo Pass I met a fellow named Fred Gribler who gave me some tips on locating Pegmatites by size of the crystals in the decomposed granite of lolo and more importantly he gave me the name of a fellow in Republic , Wash who Fred said knew more about finding crystal pockets than anyone he had ever met.

Well I proceeded to Republic and gave Andy Beckman a call and arranged to meet with him after he got off work, he lead me out to some old silver mine dumps where there where crystals in the tailings and showed me a mountain side where he said he would show us how to locate pockets, not only on this mt but anywhere you go that you can tell one tree from another.

True to his word I met up Saturday Am with him and his digging pardners and as we sat by the road side Andy told me to just look at the mt side, well I looked and saw nothing unusual about it.

He then pointed out a line of trees in sort of a line going up the mt, there where other trees but these where just a little different.

He said that they had a preliminary start on a pocket that looked as if it would be big enough to walk inside of. He showed me then through the binoculars that the trees where much bigger in certain spots and that was where there where pockets of crystals and the trees and penetrated into the pockets and got more water and nutrients that caused them to thrive.

He pointed out a spot for me to open up from scratch that would not be to deep for the time I had to dig.

After several hours of digging his group opened a pocket the was big enough to stand in and they where bringing out huge clear quartz crystals , later at his home he showed me crystals that equaled in size anything i later saw in Arkansas.

I broke into a small pocket in the hole he started me in and they where like sewing needles.

Over the years I never got back to Republic or ran into Fred or Andy again but I have never forgot the technique and have used it many times to locate pockets, once at Dismal Swamp in Idaho it was my first visit there with friends and we camped high on a hill and they pointed out the area far below where we would be digging the next day, I looked around where we camped and saw a rusty stain bleeding from the granite and took my hammer and chisel and opened a hand size pocket filled with the most perfect double terminated smokey Quartz crystals, they said they had never found crystals like that in Dismal Swamp, i worked the mt side while they fought the mosquito's in the swamp. It don't work as well for gold but its something to keep in mind, those trees are that way for a reason.

Max

One of the claims I had in Calif. had a mix of large Fir and Oak and I came to realize over time, was the fact that the Fir trees with there TAP root could only grow over areas on the claim that had a crack in the bedrock and that the Oak with there shallow root system would grow over area's that did'ent. DUH !!!!!!!

Gilaoro,

I would like to meet up with you sometime and swap fish stories. I'm really big on oral tradition and like to listen to the stories and such that those who have been here longer than me.

That was a great piece of knowledge you shared and I appreciate it.

Mike and Skip,

Thanks to you both for the insight on those plants. With my luck lately, I need all the little tidbits of leaders I can get... And my wife may not let me back in the house with this skunk smell all over me :)

Glennm, I am usually in the office of Frontier Gold prospecting located at the Arrowhead complex across from the green Frog, thats the old Weaver office.

I have my laptop with me most days running "Footprints" for the newbies but I also have about 5000 pictures, i try not to post anything I don't have photos of and i don't have pictures of the trumpet plant although its common and i thought everyone associated it with gold. stop by any time!

Max

ABSOLUTELY! Thanks!

By the way, that green frog joint is an interesting spot on a Sat afternoon, LOL.

Well I find in my old age that I tend to share or give away things that where given to me as secrets. one of them is the growth of trees.

Long before I got into gold prospecting I was full time R/V living and did a lot of research on crystals but I was just following the guide books.

Someone had told me about the Smokey Quartz at Lolo Pass MT. Well i went there and spent weeks searching and digging where others had dug, this was before the internet so you had to go to a large town with a college library to find geologic publications.

Fortunately at Lolo Pass I met a fellow named Fred Gribler who gave me some tips on locating Pegmatites by size of the crystals in the decomposed granite of lolo and more importantly he gave me the name of a fellow in Republic , Wash who Fred said knew more about finding crystal pockets than anyone he had ever met.

Well I proceeded to Republic and gave Andy Beckman a call and arranged to meet with him after he got off work, he lead me out to some old silver mine dumps where there where crystals in the tailings and showed me a mountain side where he said he would show us how to locate pockets, not only on this mt but anywhere you go that you can tell one tree from another.

True to his word I met up Saturday Am with him and his digging pardners and as we sat by the road side Andy told me to just look at the mt side, well I looked and saw nothing unusual about it.

He then pointed out a line of trees in sort of a line going up the mt, there where other trees but these where just a little different.

He said that they had a preliminary start on a pocket that looked as if it would be big enough to walk inside of. He showed me then through the binoculars that the trees where much bigger in certain spots and that was where there where pockets of crystals and the trees and penetrated into the pockets and got more water and nutrients that caused them to thrive.

He pointed out a spot for me to open up from scratch that would not be to deep for the time I had to dig.

After several hours of digging his group opened a pocket the was big enough to stand in and they where bringing out huge clear quartz crystals , later at his home he showed me crystals that equaled in size anything i later saw in Arkansas.

I broke into a small pocket in the hole he started me in and they where like sewing needles.

Over the years I never got back to Republic or ran into Fred or Andy again but I have never forgot the technique and have used it many times to locate pockets, once at Dismal Swamp in Idaho it was my first visit there with friends and we camped high on a hill and they pointed out the area far below where we would be digging the next day, I looked around where we camped and saw a rusty stain bleeding from the granite and took my hammer and chisel and opened a hand size pocket filled with the most perfect double terminated smokey Quartz crystals, they said they had never found crystals like that in Dismal Swamp, i worked the mt side while they fought the mosquito's in the swamp. It don't work as well for gold but its something to keep in mind, those trees are that way for a reason.

Max

Gilaoro: Thanks for sharing that wisdom with us, it appears that not all wisdom is located in libraries but sometimes in the most unlikely places.