Nugget Shooter Forums

Help, super noob, what is this?

I found this on a hike with the family. It was lying in the middle of nowhere. It is slightly magnetic, it has "thumbprints" and looks melted on one side, it is a tiny pit porus (negitive), and it left some light grey streaks. It also has alot of really shiny silver specs in it.

Swing and a miss, just really strange, never seen something like it before. I really appriciate your expertiese. I gotta tell ya though, I was elated finding it. But after taking it to the diamond grinder and seeing the porosity my heart sank. O well my wife and I still will remember that walk. Thanks again

Swing and a miss, just really strange, never seen something like it before. I really appriciate your expertiese. I gotta tell ya though, I was elated finding it. But after taking it to the diamond grinder and seeing the porosity my heart sank. O well my wife and I still will remember that walk. Thanks again

Dan,

At least you got a cool rock and memories of a nice walk out of it. I have dozens of rocks that would not go for much (if anything) if I wanted to sell them, but each one has it's own story and place in time. And that's a good thing!

Paul

You've made a nice VIR (very interesting rock) find, one that has accomplished it's purpose, to make good memories. It's not a 'rite, but still worth keeping for it's own sake.

It might be some kind of slag, or an accretion of some sort.

• 1 month later...

That is a beautiful meteor-wrong, and I would add that to my actual meteorite collection just because of it's aesthetic value. Not only is it beautiful, but you have an amazing story to go with it. Keep hunting brother, I have over 7 years hunting and I have yet to find an actual confirmed meteorite. Then again I haven't been able to hunt a strewnfield location yet, but I have gotten the chance to hunt the deserts of Kuwait while training which is rare in itself. The only find I have that I am quite positive is a meteorite is only a 10g iron, and if it is a meteorite, it would be one of the weirdest cold finds I have heard of, and was found in a very random place. I will post the picture here, even though I have posted it before years ago.

Here is the possible meteorite.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/GlassJAw667/Iron.jpg

Here is the coolest wrong from my Kuwait hunts. (Randy Korotev has confirmed it is some type of glass, I would assume it is volcanic in nature)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/GlassJAw667/2008_04050038.jpg

I forgot to attach this photo. I had this one tested by a friend, and I never got it back. He claimed it was not a meteorite, although it passed all home testing to include the presence of nickel as well as an etch, So if I end up seeing that he has a newly classified iron to his name I will know where it came from... But even if this is not a meteorite, it just goes to show you how difficult the hobby can be when trying to locate a 'cold find'.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/GlassJAw667/1stMeteorite4.jpg

That is a beautiful meteor-wrong, and I would add that to my actual meteorite collection just because of it's aesthetic value. Not only is it beautiful, but you have an amazing story to go with it. Keep hunting brother, I have over 7 years hunting and I have yet to find an actual confirmed meteorite. Then again I haven't been able to hunt a strewnfield location yet, but I have gotten the chance to hunt the deserts of Kuwait while training which is rare in itself. The only find I have that I am quite positive is a meteorite is only a 10g iron, and if it is a meteorite, it would be one of the weirdest cold finds I have heard of, and was found in a very random place. I will post the picture here, even though I have posted it before years ago.

Here is the possible meteorite.

http://i90.photobuck...JAw667/Iron.jpg

Here is the coolest wrong from my Kuwait hunts. (Randy Korotev has confirmed it is some type of glass, I would assume it is volcanic in nature)

http://i90.photobuck...08_04050038.jpg

It's easy enough to XRF that sample and see if it's a meteorite or not. I can do that for you if you need to test!

Jim

Fred, the third find pictured was never returned. I thought he was referring to the first picture that I am also quite sure is a meteorite.

I too would like to know the Holbrook date, as a friend and I are planning to hit Holbrook, then Gold Basin. Afterward we may travel back through N.M. for some dry lake hunting.