Nugget Shooter Forums

GPS INFO

frank c

O.K. not to seem like a "mellon head" but I guess I am.

I don't know squat about a basic GPS.

When you purchase one with the intent of off road use/ hunting in mind, does it have detailed maps covering off the beaten path areas like we hunters go to already programmed into it ??? Or are they just detailed Highway/City areas. And you MUST upgrade at additional cost rural maps for it ???

If I were to have a GPS location I wanted to reach Do I simply enter the co-ord numbers into the unit and it will lead me there ???

I guess I need a beginners briefing course on these things.

Are there any MAJOR drawback to buying one USED ?? Is all the owner entered info erasable/deletable to start from scratch again ??

I was looking at the basic Garmin e-trex series they seem to have come out with new models this season compared to the past e-trex series anyone have any comments on this ???

Units ranging from 79.00 ( the previous e-trex series) and about 119.00 newer series base models.

I have other questions but this is enough for now THANKS I'm ol school tryin to catch up here and be able to get into owning and using one of these.

O.K. not to seem like a "mellon head" but I guess I am.

I don't know squat about a basic GPS.

When you purchase one with the intent of off road use/ hunting in mind, does it have detailed maps covering off the beaten path areas like we hunters go to already programmed into it ??? Or are they just detailed Highway/City areas. And you MUST upgrade at additional cost rural maps for it ??? Most units come with a basic city & street map. More Detailed 7 1/2 minute topos, or 24 K topos, can be purchased for an additional charge. Sometimes they are free from certain GPS file websites. You must have expandable memory.

If I were to have a GPS location I wanted to reach Do I simply enter the co-ord numbers into the unit and it will lead me there ??? Yes, to within feet of the target.

I guess I need a beginners briefing course on these things. You will figure it out

Are there any MAJOR drawback to buying one USED ?? Is all the owner entered info erasable/deletable to start from scratch again ?? I dont see why not. Yes is most cases it can be erased, or it will already be before the purchase by the original owner

I was looking at the basic Garmin e-trex series they seem to have come out with new models this season compared to the past e-trex series anyone have any comments on this ???

Units ranging from 79.00 ( the previous e-trex series) and about 119.00 newer series base models. Not to many coments floating around on the the new units as The E-trex 10,20,30 based models were just release a couple months ago. They look great though., and Im going to get one soon. The 10 is not a color model I think. If you were to get an Etrex series , I would go with one of the new models. They have a larger, clearer screen on them compared to the previous models, and hopefully they made some changes to the internals for the better like sat fix`s, processor speed etc.. The main idea is to have an expandable memory card slot, or a large enough internal memory for additional map data and you should be fine.

I have other questions but this is enough for now THANKS I'm ol school tryin to catch up here and be able to get into owning and using one of these.

Frank, 7-1/2 minute topos use up alot of memory, due to all the data on them. 24 K are a little less. Its really hard to say though. If you only had like a couple of topos to put on there you might be fine with 1 GB of internal memory. The Etrex 20 looks great with a 1.7 GB internal ,and a SD card slot for additional. 1.7 GB is large enough to hold one of garmins 24 K map packages I think. But those are an additional cost.

Someone else will have to chime in on this too ,as Im no expert on this stuff anyway...

Frank ... I started out with an old Etrex about 15 years ago when they were really stupid ... and so was I. I moved up through the various models and now have the Garmin GPSmap60csx. That has been replace with the 62 which actually has internet access ... waste of money if you ask me so I will stick with my 60 until it dies. Point here is that i use the AZ chip(msd card) made by and for the Garmin handhelds. It shows all the know ATV trails to the time of manufacture which for my chip is about 4 years ago. If you buy the garmin chip for AZ be sure you check the date on the package mine is a 2007 .... I bought in 2008 thinking it was the most current ... it wasn't. but it has served me well despite the age. I would take the time to go to Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse or even a Dicks Sporting Goods as a last resort and talk to the good folks about your needs. Don't let them up sell you unless you decide to go to the higher level ... the etrex 20 sounds like it will work for you. The 62 like mine is a package of about $450 ... but can be found on sale cheaper if you look. I STRONGLY suggest you wait for the Black Friday(that's the Friday after Thanksgiving) Sales at either Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse to make your purchase. I went to both yesterday when I dropped Carol at the airport in Phoenix ... both said to hold off on the high ticket items I was considering. Watch the sale fliers or sign up for automatic email to both stores to get pre-announcement fliers notification. If I see something come up I'll let you know. If you have more questions please call or PM and I'll try to put you on the right path. I taught GPS and orienteering in NH with our Hunter Ed classes and have lots of orienteering experience with a GPS and/or compass and map going back to college days when I was on the Norwich University Mountain Rescue Team. Happy to help you if I can.

Mike F

Hi Frank,

I have a friend who has one of the new E-Trex, not the b&w one.

I have watched him using it when we go out and it works great and it's size cannot be beaten.

I have a larger and older gps also a Garmin that works beautifully as well.

For me the only thing I do not like much is their pricing on maps and that their maps are not

detailed enough for what we do (we like 7.5 topos).

HOWEVER: there are sites where not only can you download great topos for free but they will

walk you through how do d/l them and how to get them into your gps.

This is one article that is pretty good for the basics:

http://www.ehow.com/...garmin-gps.html

This site below, has downloadable maps and shows you how to download and get them into the gps.

I think it is using a pc to do it, but if you have a Mac, the process can be used as well, at least I did.

http://www.gpsfilede...armin-gps-unit/

It is true that the larger topo's use lots of memory but it seems that you hunt in a fairly select area (just guessing),

so you wouldn't have to shift the maps in and out too often. My hunting time is so infrequent and so varied that I have to

change out one group of maps for another, but other than being a touch time consuming, it's not that hard once you

get the hang of it. Great maps make using a gps a real dream. It is very smart to mark a waypoint on your vehicle each time you

hunt, that way you can wander to your hearts content using what Garmin calls "tracks", knowing you'll always be able to use the "trackback" feature to get back to where your camp/vehicle is.

Most of the newer gps units have quick acquisition of sat's, something that on the older units used to take some time (minutes).

This too is a cool improvement that makes using a gps so easy and when you think of it, such a huge leap forward for

outdoors people in terms of safety - and of course now there are no more "lost mines."

Dive in, you will have fun learning...

all the best,

Frank:

Im using a Etrex Venture HC.

Its a basic model for under 100 bucks. Its yellow. It doesnt give topo maps..just a basic city/road maps. I dont use any of that stuff. If you get lost in PHX....you shouldnt be driving! :)

What I do is find a spot on google that I would like to try out.

Then I draw a really basic map of the roads and wash.

I will put markers on the map such as "1st turn" "park"

"try" "look"

Then I hover the little hand in google maps over that area...get in real close to do this.

If its a turn I put the hand about 50 feet prior to the turn. Then I put those coordinates in the GPS with the appropriate name and save it.

I usually have about 5 or 6 waypoints saved for each trip.

After youve been in a place once or twice you get to know it and dont need to save the coords anymore.

It has helped me cut off some walking time geting back to the truck also!

I thought the truck was straight across from where I had gone in at but I had wandered up some....GPS said had to go diagnal to get out and not straight out. :)

Would have gotten to the truck eventually but may have had to do more walking.

They are a good tool to have.

If your going to be at Quartzite for the outing I can get you all spun up on it.

You do have to change the coordinate longitute and latitude to match the "type" that your GPS uses.

Mine uses degrees, decimal, minutes. That was a frustrating part to figure out for me!

GL :)

Tom H.

Frank,

As most of the previous comments stated above are good to know, there are also a few more bells and whistles that I personally like that could also be a benefit to a prospector on the side.

The Garmin Dakota 20 is a good one, and has some features that you might use, and some you may never use, but it is there if you want it with the expandable memory.

1. I’ll start with the satellite imagery capability. You can overlay a topo over a google earth image, and see your terrain with elevation contours at the same time with detail.

2. If you download or buy a 24K micro SD chip, you can also obtain the driving directions without the spoken names of the roads, or streets as if you had bought the city navigator micro sd chip that is also designed to be placed in that gps hand held for on the road, and not the trail.

3. You can also wirelessly transfer your data from your gps to another Garmin gps with the same equivalency as long as you are within 10ft of the other gps.

4. It is reasonably water proof and robust for hard landings on hard surfaces also. The only thing I wonder about, is the touch screen pad if it will scratch easy dealing around hard minerals with dirty hands.

The more preferred hand held I like would be the Garmin 62s without the 100k topo for the prospecting adventure. The 100 k topo in the 62st sucks a lot of internal memory from it.

1. It has the push button menu instead of the touch screen which would illuminate the scratching of the display screen in the case of hard minerals scratching the screen with dirty hands.

2. It has a better receiving antenna that can allow satellite receptions in something like an old log cabin.

3. It has all the other features described above that the Dakota 20 has except it has the 1.7G of internal memory whereas the Dakota only has 850mb of internal memory.

I haven’t looked into the Garmin 10,20,30’s, but If they posses some of the same attributes described with the models above, then you can’t go wrong. It’s like everything else going on in the electronic world. They keep getting better. As far as better maps that you are capable of inserting into, I'm not sure. I still have the old terrain navigator cd's that I thought were pretty good during its day.

Hi Frank,

I use the garmin Oregon 450, when hiking or ATV, as it allows a lot of topo maps to be stored on them. The Etrex is a good base model, it does have limited memory, and you can get the one with sd memory card.

Additional maps must be purchased. I make a lot of my own topo maps, I like to see if I am on BLM land or private land, and the boundaries. Also the topo maps you purchase do not show a lot of off road trails. I use the Garmin Nuvi when in my truck driving, with the topo maps loaded. You can share the sd memory card with the other gps when hiking. PM me if you need more info...

Dave

post-1046-0-04200900-1321220573_thumb.jp

Hi Dolan,

That is also a good one that has a little more larger screen than the Dakota's have, but may also have a camera available to one of them.

The Montana's are the largest screen Garmin gps hand helds available for old farts like me who can't see very well. Each model Montana does have the camera installed in it also. Less ergonomical in carrying around though. I would be careful not to transfer the pictured images you take with it as it would be similar to cell phone location pictured images of unwanted locations when transfering the images to forums like this one.

Frank,

If you want to get really fancy you can plug some GPS units into a laptop computer and they will track real-time where you are on a topo map, down to whatever size map detail you get, or even on Google Earth.

Paul

Hi Frank!

I have the Garmin Etrex Legend HC

It works as good as some really expensive GPS units I use to have. I have MapSource Maps loaded in it from North of Gold Basin to down below Parker and about 100 miles East and West of that line. I have no memory issues. I am awaiting Black Friday to buy another for Wendy. They are good enough for meteorite hunting without spending a butt load of money.

Anyone with MapSource can hook you up with Maps....without having to buy any.....but you probably would want to buy a copy of MapSource.....or obtain one.

Jim

I have been a fan of Delorme Atlases, Topo Programs and their hand held GPS units for years, and never had a problem with any of them. Like Garmin their extra detail topo card runs around $99.00, but they usually can be found for half price when on sale. You really dont need a specific state card anymore. Delorme got a subscription to what they call MapPack, where you get unlimited download of USGS QUADS, NOAA CHARTS, and AERIAL IMAGGERY for $29.95. You can also purchased different "Bundles"! Like a handheld GPS unit that come alone, or in a "Bundle" that come with, TOPO North America software for your PC, the MapPack subscription, and a satelite communicator! Their top of the line handheld unit, the PN60W, got 3.5GB of internal memory, and can use SD cards up to 32GB. Combine that with the new SAT communicator, nice package. The basic PN60 can be have for around $259, up to $600 with the SAT comunicator. The SAT comunicator does required a separate subscription for the services.

More Au to you, Robert

:*&$*(: SCREW -IT, I've been goin CRAZY :nutty: reaching these GPS's online.

Deceided to forego getting one of these advertised specials/bundles most are either discontinued or soon to be by Garmin.

I'm goin HEAD-1ST into the pool for the Newest Tech E-trex 20 If I have to learn something new to me ( how to operate a GPS) I might as well learn the newest technology out there RIGHT ????? :idea::arrowheadsmiley:

Frank ... You made the right decision! I didn't know exactly how to say that too you earlier today in my email reply to you ... You will like that unit once you have played with it for a week or so.

Mike F