Nugget Shooter Forums

Frank C's Meteorite from July 2011

Well I wanted to share some news here about the meteorite I detected back in July this year.

I just received word from the geophysics dept that it is an L 6

Plus alot of other technical info that went with the L 6 part that I'm not swift enough to comprehend all of.

Bottom line is it sounds so far like it may be a "NEW" find for the state of Arizona. :thumbsupanim

The classification and pertinent info are being sent in for approval / rejection / admission ????????

I should be at the end of this process in 60 days or so I hope.

I'll keep ya posted :rolleyes:

post-562-0-81300700-1320761723_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-98975900-1320761743_thumb.jpg

Fred this is all I have so far;

Tell me about the "age" when you research, I am under the impression it is not that very old at all.

I am all tried up right now not much time to devote to it so fill me in.

L6 S4 W2 olivine Fa 24.6±0.5 (n=10) low-Ca pyroxene Fs20.6Wo1.8 (n=2)

Congradulations Frank,

Sure is a nice meteorite you found. Were you successful in finding any more, or just the one piece?

Dave

Great find, FrankC, congratulations. Neat pics, looks much lighter than the usual dark brown or red or black we see. Please keep us posted on news about it as it develops.

I will check it out...I have not found a reference to what the "Wo1.8" is...any chemists out there???? It is apparently part of an iron compound...but I don't have the knowledge...

fred

Wollastonite part of the pyroxene

Jim

Steve,

We are talking very small (typically averaged) molecular percentages.

Jim

Jim-

In retrospect, it may have been a bad question. But at least I can blame it on my age... :old::inocent:

Steve

Hi Steve!

Yep, those scientist count atoms like we might count how many beers are left in that 12 pack!

Jim

Johnno...would you reduce all that to one simple sentence that is in english...please...

fred

G'Day Fred

Just for you mate. :D

Cheers, Johnno

Pyroxenes

A group of minerals including orthopyroxenes (e.g. enstatite) and clinopyroxenes (e.g. augite, diopside, and pigeonite). The composition of a pyroxene is more precisely states in terms of three end members of the pyroxene composition system CaSiO3 –MgSiO3 –FeSiO3. These end members correspond to the minerals wollastonite (Wo), enstatite (En) and ferrosilite (Fs) and are reported in terms of molecular percentages (e.g. Wo42En54Fs4).

Page 242-243 – O. Richard Norton & Lawrence A. Chitwood

Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites

G'Day Mike

Yeah it is a lot of mumbo jumbo. I should have just stuck with the basics on meteorites, as well as gold. But I just had to go that one step further. Wish I had a chance to go back to school and start again. Actually I wish I could go back and start everything again! But I suppose simply Frank made a fantastic find regardless of all the jibba

Cheers, Johnno

FRED FRED !!!! You have Field guide to meteorites book,....I thought.

That info is in there I was checkin it out recently.

ALSO If anyone here sees or hears about this meteorite I had sent in being posted by the Metsoc or WHEREEVER IT IS THAT POSTS IT AFTER IT IS EITHER ACCEPTED OR REJECTED

LET NE KNOW PLEASE, I'm not quite sure where to go on the net to keep tabs on the notification when it happens any help here is appreciated.

Thanks an Hapy Huntn. May yer next find bring a SMILE :D to yer face !!!!!

G'Day Mike

Yeah it is a lot of mumbo jumbo. I should have just stuck with the basics on meteorites, as well as gold. But I just had to go that one step further. Wish I had a chance to go back to school and start again. Actually I wish I could go back and start everything again! But I suppose simply Frank made a fantastic find regardless of all the jibba

Cheers, Johnno

Hi Johnno!

I am still trying to figure out what it had to do Fred's question and the relationship to Frank's space rock!! :hmmmmm:

Hey, Frank....if the NomCom approves it, you will hear about it! Until then, just keep sweating bullets! :P

Jim