Nugget Shooter Forums

I had a trip to central Nevada planed for next week but the weather up there has gone south fast so I have decided to go south too. I dont have a gold basin but been there hunting twice but never camped there and as funds are short I will be ruffing it so where is the best place for a lone hunter to camp. I just don't want to step on anyone's boots. Will also be hunting Roach, Red Dry Lake and Francoina.

Thanks for any help

Bryan

After the rain you might want rethink the dry lake, it can get nasty after a rain , and it has been raining, I live in Kingman.

You can camp on any open BLM land, if it is claimed you should not detect on it...however, meteorites are not a claimable mineral according to some...

Just be sure to check the local BLM regs for fires, waste and cleanup...if you like the sound of generators you could move in next to the ever considerate guy that parked next to the group fire pit...

good luck

fred

Good morning Bryan.

Camping at Franconia is very good. Lot's of open BLM land to choose from.

Most people camp on the South side of the freeway. Take the Franconia Rd exit ( # 13), and go up the small rise. There you will find quite a bit of flat area to camp. The area has both private and open BLM land. PM me if you would like coordinates to nearby, open flat areas.

It's just a short trip to the North side where I understand most people hunt for their meteorites.

There are two truck stops 3 1/2 miles West where you can get gas, and limited supplies. Lake Havasu City is 30 - 40 minutes away.

I hope this helps,

Patrick.....

Frank, I have not yet been to Gold Basin, but just how difficult is it to find spots to hunt without trespassing on someone's toes?

Troy

Troy are you a member of Mohave Prospectors Assn, ? I thought you were.

Any way they have claims in 2 sectons there 28 and 34 and both hold meteorites.

So that would be quite a bit of area to cover alone.

Then there are some unclaimed areas there and I share a claim with Bunk also it abuts 1 of the MPA 34 claims your welcome to hunt it and you can also camp there.

Frank, I am not a member, but have intended to join for a long time. I will try to do that tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Troy

Frank, I visiting Bunk yesterday and had a nice chat with him. Very nice guy! Loved the polished chondrite he showed me. I have sent my application in to the Mohave Prospectors, took me long enough :)

Anyway, I will connect with Bryan at your claim on Tues. morning. Looking forward to it.

The weather here in Prescott today really sucks, wish I could move to Havasu full time!

Thanks for your help.

Troy

• 1 month later...

I too would like some info on Gold Basin as I am just now getting together research data and ideas for my trip with a friend. We plan on roughing it for about a week to 10 days, stopping at Holbrook and then on to G.B. The date is not set yet but is looking to be late March/Early April. If anyone would like to join us on the hunt, or could provide me with any data on G.B. please PM me. If necessary I will E-Mail the claim holders, and I do not mind paying a small fee to join any association that will assist me in hunting without breaking any laws or morals. I appreciate all the help/input I have received so far.

Mohave Prospectors have claims in Gold Basin and are good for drywashing and their web site is

www: mohaveprospectors.org

you can get info on joining and contact info

When you know what dates you are going to be here let me know and I might run out to Gold Basin and we can meet. I live in Kingman and it is just about 50 mile to get there, and I always look for an excuse to go play. :ROFL:

Frank, I visiting Bunk yesterday and had a nice chat with him. Very nice guy! Loved the polished chondrite he showed me. I have sent my application in to the Mohave Prospectors, took me long enough :)

Anyway, I will connect with Bryan at your claim on Tues. morning. Looking forward to it.

The weather here in Prescott today really sucks, wish I could move to Havasu full time!

Thanks for your help.

Troy

Hey Troy!

You do not need to belong to these organization to hunt meteorites on their claims. It's still good to support tho..

That oughta stir up a few!

Jim