Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi All, I need a Gold Basin throw down to see if I can find a setting on my MXT.

My question is 2 fold, one what size should I get and where can I find one.?

I did test on the one that Frank from Michigan found , but I need to get me a tester now

I been using the mxt since 2003 and I use a small nugget I found Cabarrus Co. N.C, It weighs .3dwt about the size of watermelon seed, I got this piece about 7" deep in a bedrock crack, I couldn't believe that the mxt would do that, so now this is my throwdown. It was just a whisper and I got no vdi but when that hum in the threshold changed I knew something was there. Anyway I was hunting in relic mode, trigger forward, disc. on 0 and gain at +2. since then that little nugget/picker has served me very well, I have it enclosed in a clear plastic keychain holder. I was using the 6x10dd coil and a set of 170 ohm headphones.

Oops, Sorry I got the wrong forum on that .3dwt throwdown gold nugget, but I have had a chance to check my mxt with a 2 0z meteorite from canada and in the same settings as my previous post it read -77vdi

Ok , I tried to "hear " a meteorite , about 4grams but no luck.

The person that found it used a F-75 by fisher. His stock coil and a larger coil would just make a sound but when he went to a very small coil it sounded off real loud.

I am hoping the same will be true of the MXT, I just got a 4x6DD coil for it.

Frank I will contact ya soon, might stop by when I get over that way.

Geoff Notkin, in his Aerolite company, has some throw-downs. Contact them for sizes and prices at www.aeorlite.org.

As for sizes, I'd suggest getting the most common size found, as mentioned already by Fred Mason, about grape size. that will tell you if your detector will read them or not. Much depends on the type of meteorite, though. Mine will pick up irons with no problem if on the surface, and down a couple of inches below the surface. But it won't pick up L-chondrites, or even H-chondrites, at all. It's an entry-level detector, so no real surprise, but even GoldBug 2's sometimes have trouble seeing some kinds of meteorites.

If there is any free metal in a meteorite the Gold Bug series will detect it...but, if one uses any level of descrimination then the detector would descriminate the target out...any dedicated gold detector would do the same...also, with a detector that has automatic ground balance it might retune so fast that the signal would be lost...things can be complicated...

fred

I got me a test meteorite from Frank C. (thanks Frank ).

Now I just got to tune my ears in to the sound and remember to turn auto ground off.

Thanks all