Nugget Shooter Forums

Family John Deere

heybeerman

Just got done restoring a 1947 model A. My grandfather bought it new in 1949. It got sold at his estate sale when he died in 1983. My brother and I tracked it down and got to pay 2-3 times what it was really worth cause the old critter who owned it, knew why we wanted it. Well eight years later we finally got around to finishing it up.

http://PA310018.jpg

Hey Blake....thanks for the memories...my first 17 years of life was on a farm in Eastern Okla. and

one of our tractors was exactly like the one you have....I think I spent half my first 17 years of life

on that tractor...

Ours had the shroud on the fly-wheel removed so if the battery was down we could just spin it to

life with the fly-wheel...after opening a pet-cock on the bottom of the engine to relieve the com-

pression....

Me and that tractor had a love/hate relation ship....I loved to hate it and it post-300-0-61207200-1320362414_thumb.jpg

Then you were working an older Model A. This one was also my Grandfathers, but he did not buy it new. My Grandmother never sold it. My brother and I restored it in 1999. We have taken it to alot of antique tractor pulls. Both of these tractors sat on the street in Wickenburg a few years ago in front of a friend of mine's" Farmers Market"

Blake

This is a 1937: No battery, release the petcocks and spin the flywheel.

http://01220007.jpg

Very cool story and restoration Blake! I'll have to come by and see it....

They are currently at my brothers house. But you can still stop by. Always a cold beer in the fridge for a friend.

Here I am pulling with the 1937. The guy with the flag would watch a ball they attached to the frame. When it came a certain distance off of the ground he would wave you off and your run was done.

0wheelie.jpg

Blake how did those old "popin jonnies" fare against the other tractors...

Ours were the A models but could have had some mods done to them...one of our neighbors was a good

JD mech and he was always messing with them....do you find it hard to find parts for them now? Don't know

what ever happend to dad's .....

That twit driving it, is me driving it in a parade pulling a covered wagon my grandfather made out of an old manuer spreader.

Mequon Illinois. 1982

Blake

http://04480033.jpg

You could keep a forum going for a long time just based on that picture.

Dude enjoying a smoke watching the parade---very un PC nowadays.

Folks desing up as injins' who may not be 100% injin---law suit would be filed.

Chick churning butter---sexist.

Pabst sign on bar---Rednecks!!!

I miss old towns like that.

Blake how did those old "popin jonnies" fare against the other tractors...

do you find it hard to find parts for them now?

The JD's seem to do better than most. The parts are suprisingly easy to come by. Lots of New old stock and manufactured "copy" parts, Plenty of bone yards that specialize in old tractors.

Blake

You could keep a forum going for a long time just based on that picture.

I miss old towns like that.

My grandmother still lives by herself in that ol town. The town has not changed much. FYI: She is 96 and just renewed her drivers lisence :yikes:

I worked on a farm in Peosta, Iowa for awhile and drove a tractor everyday to feed the cattle, cut grass and hay, and all the other things you can use tractors for.

Your pictures brought back a lot of happy memories.

I'm glad you got your tractor back and fixed it up so nice.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Paul