Nugget Shooter Forums

HIGH BANKER V DRY WASHER

garimpo

Since I'm almost sitting on miles of tailings piles of the Brazilian sucker pumps and the tails of the

slaves 200 years ago....I've often wondered just how good their recovery systems were...not good

I would think....so my question is what catches fine gold best...high banker or dry washer?

If sufficient water is available then wet recover will catch more gold. The big limiting factor is how much material you can run with either system. In dry climates a drywasher will shine because wet recover is restricted by available water. On the other hand a drywasher is worthless if the dirt is wet.

Hey Don, if yer near tons of tailings, and you don't think their recovery was that good I'd get a couple young pups an 2 good shovels for em then have em start taking some of those piles apart an fanning the shovelfulls out. Ya know spreading it wide then you just walk em over with the detector. If their recovery was or wasn't good I'll bet you come across some detectable pieces.

That beats playin with the dirt runnin it thru machines and you can skip around take some from here an some from there let us know what you find.

You must have a couple young pups in yer family there ?? That way you keep it in the family !!

But young pups usually have big mouths and your secret hidey hole soon becomes public knowledge.I imagine that Brazil is the same same as the rest a the world. Newer style drywashers rock the mining world. Just read Jim Straights booklets and the truth is self evident. Constant flow,elliptical offset vibration gets the small stuff but as all drywashers must be dry or two runs,or throw on black plastic to dry and then run. Highbankers just soooooo much shoveling,pumps hoses and blah blah blah. Both require jus' way tooo much Manual as in manual labor and with that :aw-shucks: hernia not a great idea. Luv these new detectors of the last few years as this ol'mining dog cannot shovel a cubic foot a second and youngns nowadays don't either,even 2, so jus' a keep on a swingn' bud and tons a au 2 u 2-John :miner: PS-Hope ya heal up good too :D

A few years ago the "young bucks" would work for $5.00 a day and a cold meal....inflation has done away

with that...now it's $50.00 a day + a % + a hot catered meal....

I've spent years beeping many of these slave tailings and usually find a nugget but the problem is the trees

and brush that have grown up in them...plus the hornets...once deep inside these digs it's almost impossible

to get away from a swarm of hornets...they can cause you to "bust a gut" aka Hernia....

There's one set of tails that was made by the big sucker pumps aka Brazilian highbankers...the closest part

of these tails is about two hundred yards from a good stream...the farthest end is about 1/4 mile from the water.

From about June to Sept. would be a great place for a dry washer and the material there is also fine....the

part close to the water is more like rocks fist sized and less....

Ambulatory now for only one week and about to go stir crazy...maybe next month I'll load a little dirt in the back

of the Toy and haul it to the stream for a little panning....BTW no such thing in Brazil as a "dry washer"....

Hello Everyone:

I'am new to the forum, I'am a part time gold hound, but I hope to become full time soon after I retire.

I'am looking for a hand operated dry washer, does anyone have any leads on where to purchase one? Not a Keene unit, but someone who makes them from hand.

Thanks BigAl47

....BTW no such thing in Brazil as a "dry washer"....

Don,

Can you build your own or have someone build it to your specs?

Maybe you could get something started with the natives and sell them a few drywashers for some gold, there's more than one way to skin a cat!!!

Skip

Cleaning up the tailings at old digs has flat wore me out before I could get to swinging. Lot of nasty , spiny plants and trees that not only will cut your flesh--but wreck your equipment quick like.

I've not run into hornets yet---do get bugged by those small black bees that seem to like hair---good thing most of mine is gone.

I've had the same thing in mind about the tailings. Most old-timers did a fairly good job. Throw in the spots that have been pounded by beepers what your left with is the smaller stuff that could be quite a bit.

I wouldn't be oppossed to jacking a shovel to find out.

Skip these people here have been to "skinnings" for years....

First they wouldn't buy one....they would steal it.....

Then they would re-produce as many as they wanted....

There's a few people here older than me and their pretty well worn down physically and a hip stick would be a

great piece of equipment for them but now I've had a couple for sale since the hip stick came out and not one

have I been able to sell....

Yea Mac one of the land owners here took a dozer and leveled some of the slave digs on his place and then

beeped it...they only did a small area so I'm thinking the expense and the split wasn't worth the work....

Hello Everyone:

I'am new to the forum, I'am a part time gold hound, but I hope to become full time soon after I retire.

I'am looking for a hand operated dry washer, does anyone have any leads on where to purchase one? Not a Keene unit, but someone who makes them from hand.

Thanks BigAl47

I just joined the forum yesterday and thanks for the lead on the dry washer. I have a winter home in Sun City and I have been going out to Rich Hill to prospect without much sucess, any other area's anyone would recommend? And is Metal Detecting better or using a dry washher? Thanks: Al

Don, The tailing piles at the first Fazenda (ranch) we worked outside of Faina would be perfect for a good highbanker with an extra long sluice... water is close and plentiful and from what I have seen the equipment first used there was nothing but crude and I'll bet there is still loads of fine gold waiting to be recovered. Stopping the silt from going back into the creek would be easy. That certainly might be worth another trip down. :idea: When you can, why not go do a bit a sampling of those piles......If I remember the crude sluices they used recovered 400 kilos or so??? :ROFL:

Or is that the place you were thinking about??

The one I was thinking about is the one after all the twising and turning and just after the bridge that had a

good water flow under it....about 30 miles from my house but....

Your right about the one in Faina...also a good place to sleep in the ranch house...owner was Milton...

Don, The tailing piles at the first Fazenda (ranch) we worked outside of Faina would be perfect for a good highbanker with an extra long sluice... water is close and plentiful and from what I have seen the equipment first used there was nothing but crude and I'll bet there is still loads of fine gold waiting to be recovered. Stopping the silt from going back into the creek would be easy. That certainly might be worth another trip down. :idea: When you can, why not go do a bit a sampling of those piles......If I remember the crude sluices they used recovered 400 kilos or so??? :ROFL:

Or is that the place you were thinking about??

Going thru the Sunday paper here ( still trying to pick up the lingo) I noticed a Fazenda for sell in Faina--58 Hectures. Trying to convince my wife to go and poke around under the pretense of being interested buyers.

Going thru the Sunday paper here ( still trying to pick up the lingo) I noticed a Fazenda for sell in Faina--58 Hectures. Trying to convince my wife to go and poke around under the pretense of being interested buyers.

Mac that's one way to get your foot in th door...and while your there it could even open more doors for you...