Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

garimpo

GOLD RUSH...

With gold selling for over $1,600 an ounce, Americans are combing their dressers and attics for old jewelry, looking to cash in on the new gold rush. The miners on Discovery Channel’s hit “Gold Rush” have a different kind of gold fever–they left their homes and family in the Lower 48, hoping to strike it rich mining for gold in Alaska.

“I’ve had talks with my kids about the state of the economy,” miner Todd “The Boss” Hoffman tells. "I’ve said, ‘Now, listen. We’re in deep trouble, we’ve overspent and in order for you little guys to have a future, daddy has to go out and do something a little crazy.’"

Last season, Hoffman, a former aviation worker, sold almost everything he owned and convinced several of his unemployed buddies to pool their resources and go to America’s Last Frontier to mine for gold. “I don’t qualify for unemployment,” explains Hoffman. “I’m not even on the radar for any of that type of stuff. For guys like me, that’s not even an option. Thank heavens it isn’t, because it’s killing our country. You have to get out there and make something happen.”

CLICK FOR AN EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK AT ‘GOLD RUSH’ SEASON 2.

Todd Hoffman learned the art of mining from his father, Jack, during the hardscrabble ‘70s. “Coming out of the Carter days, it was rough for my family,” says Hoffman. “We weren’t successful money-wise, but we were very successful in that my father showed me the possibility of the future. That came to fruition later on, as now I am able to help my father realize his lifelong dream of becoming a gold miner.”

But dreams don’t come easy.

Despite investing $250,000 in the mining venture, Hoffman and his father only found about $20,000 in gold last season. Veteran gold miner Fred Hurt believes that the Hoffmans' lack of success came from not listening to his advice.

“Last year I came in and I thought I had a lot to offer the fellows,” says Hurt. “I would suggest, and they would reject–much to their detriment. I guess they just didn’t want to listen to an old man.”

Undeterred, this season the Hoffmans mortgaged their small family airport in Sandy, Oregon to return to Alaska in their search for riches. “We’re a bit more seasoned,” Hoffman declares. “We’re taking more advice–it’s almost like we’re going from grade to college. We go about things in a new way.”

There’s also more drama. “You’ll see some things that are really tough to watch,” Hoffman says of the new season’s father-son dynamic. “There’s some pretty emotional things that happen between me and my father. My dad had to kind of grow up on his own, so it’s a new experience for him to be a team player. And I’m a bit of a control freak, overstepping my bounds.”

After working for months on the "Glory Hole,” the name they gave their mine, the Hoffmans and their crew were finally seeing results–gold! Lots of gold. Unfortunately, their former advisor, Hurt, sensed a huge payday, and bought the mine outright–leaving the Hoffmans high and dry.

“They assumed that Porcupine Creek claim was just an old, worthless, worn-out claim. They were totally wrong,” Hurt says of his claim. “We did quite well.”

“It’s tough,” Hoffman says of the experience. “You get going in one direction, and then you have to go in another direction. I think the worst part about it is the mental aspect–you have to shift gears and figure out what to do. It’s tough to keep everybody together. We’re gone for six months, so it’s grueling on everybody–not just physically, but mentally, because of all the twists and turns. On top of that, we’re getting filmed!”

But seeing big, gleaming chunks of gold never gets old. “It’s the best feeling in the world,” says Hoffman. “When the process is working, it’s like a little money machine. Everything is ticking. We’re hitting on all cylinders–we’re processing gold. It’s like we’re tricking the whole world. It’s like saying, ‘Ha-ha! You didn’t beat us. We’re kicking your ass.’”

The second season of “Gold Rush” returns on Friday, October 28 on the Discovery Channel.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz1bjBlUAxg

Next to Governor Jerry Brown, Jr. and the California Legislature, this show is the worst thing that has happened in recent memory for the small scale prospector or miner.

Thanks Martin...guess I'm lucky I don't get the show down here....

It definitely shows the wrong side of the equation.

While I don't like the show, personally, I am a bit jealous that these guys actually got out and did it.

:*&$*(: Not only no but LL NO :nutty: John

This show is like "the Biggest Losers" for minerals...what a train wreck.

Luckily, I have a real life with enough drama to go around,

I vote this show off the island...

I on the other hand love it!! It's hilarious and the scenery is beautiful and who doesn't like to see a pan full of gold every now and again.

Hi Bucket,

I relent on the scenery aspect of the show.

You are right it's cool...but those human inhabitants...

:zzzzz:

All the best,

I tried out for Survivor Australia MANY years ago and made first alternate but when the call came and I had 24 hrs to be on a plane I had decided to forget about it since part of the process is to also tell you all about the script you must agree to adhere to. All of these so called reality shows follow a written script and when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. No one is going to simply start filming a group of guys doing something with any hopes of selling advertising unless they control each and every action of it including the outcomes. It's marketing and that's all it is. I am not at all entertained by the show but others are and ask me if that's what it really is like so the concept and script is working for them. The writers are earning their keep so to speak. Same thing goes on at deadliest catch and all the other similar shows.

yeah i agree Flak, but just seeing all that equipment moving and water flowing and material moving over the riffles just gets my blood pumping...if its got a motor and a gas pedal i'll give it a go!!

yeah i agree Flak, but just seeing all that equipment moving and water flowing and material moving over the riffles just gets my blood pumping...if its got a motor and a gas pedal i'll give it a go!!

Agreed. Minus the drama, it's a pretty cool show. Being a VERY small scale miner, it's awesome to see the bigger equipment, and how it works. Hopefully, for their sake, they have better success this season. And, I do love seeing those big nuggets!

Hey Denny, how ya doin buddy!! hows the ol Ranger holding up? I would much rather watch a show on gold mining even if its far from perfect than most of the other crap on tv. although there was one show I saw last year where some dude goes around the globe drinking beer!!! Now that's my kind of TV !!!

Hey Denny, how ya doin buddy!! hows the ol Ranger holding up? I would much rather watch a show on gold mining even if its far from perfect than most of the other crap on tv. although there was one show I saw last year where some dude goes around the globe drinking beer!!! Now that's my kind of TV !!!

It's going great bud! Been super busy is all. I was starting to miss this place, ha ha! The Ranger is actually just about to go up for sale.....Kind of sad, after all that I did to it, but sometimes toys have to go..... Silly life, getting in the way of fun! Hows the business going? I really dig the web site, it's quite useful! Excellent insight you guys offer!

I know which show you're talking about, that guy has the best career a man could ask for! Ha ha. Can't remember what it's called though. If I recall correctly, the guy came from the comedy industry. What a hard life eh? Ha ha

Yea your right, sometimes the toys gotta go, B&B video's are going great and I'm glad you liked the website!! but my day job right now is slow, I think I need to find the job opening for a beer tester that travels the world drinking those fabulous brews!!!

Hey Bucket... we could just do a new show... you produce and I will drink the beer!

I'm watching it from my dvr now :)

Dakota Fred bought the claim and kicked them off Porcupine Creek. They pulled up. About1/2 oz in their first pan after three days on the claim and one hour of wash plant time.

Sucks to be them. Looks like they're heading for the Klondike.

I know which show you're talking about, that guy has the best career a man could ask for! Ha ha. Can't remember what it's called though. If I recall correctly, the guy came from the comedy industry. What a hard life eh? Ha ha

It's called "three sheets"

Laughed myself to sleep as the rabbit beats the tortise to the hole one more time hahaha--EMOTICONS DEAD AND I NEED'M- no tons a au 2 'm either and El D can I volunteer for that beer drinking duty also bud????John

Anytime John..... The kegerator and cave are always open to ya! That crew has no idea what due diligence is, they are fools spending way to much $$$, but the Discovery Channel is sure making out.

Dakota Fred is the only one with the right stuff. Hope they keep an eye on how he does

I'm curious if anybody has check the material coming off their sluice to see if they are washing the gold right on through...

I have been watching this show from the start and LOVE it.

I hope they do good up north, I bet the Discovery channel will follow Dakota Fred also.

I would love to be up there with them. It looks like a lot of work but looks more fun then anything.

The show is fun ,and entertaining....Its about gold prospecting , and I like it......The only issue is that I am usually out in the field prosecting when it comes on..

I on the other hand love it!! It's hilarious and the scenery is beautiful and who doesn't like to see a pan full of gold every now and again.

Yeah, I also try to look at the funny end of it, I kind of look at it like it were a cartoon, some of the things those guys do are so wacky you can't help but think "What in the world?!" -Especially Jack Hoffman, well really all of them at one time or another. I only watch what I can on Youtube, for instance they set up a fake scenario where some dude (can't remember his name) says he is going to work the claim they dug the "glory hole" on last season. So, he is going to kick them all out since he bought the mine (really I read that it has been his all along) So what does 'ol Jack Hoffman do for the cameras? He turns and high tails it across the creek alone in the track hoe for a crossing because said claim jumper ain't getting his track hoe. Then they make a big thing about his son racing over there and getting him to cool off before he destroys the equipment and/or kills himself. Argh, glad I'm only watching and rolling my head.