Nugget Shooter Forums

http://i1189.photobu...tt/P1000071.jpg

http://i1189.photobu...tt/eeb6cc06.jpg

http://i1189.photobu...tt/P1000034.jpg

After reading the Franconia group hunt report, Rob C. and I decided it was time to make our first trip to the hot rock capital of the world Franconia. My goal was to find the elusive 200 grammer that I still haven’t found after a year straight of hammering Gold Basin. It also seems as though the finds at Gold Basin are coming fewer and farther between. (Frank C. doesn’t leave much for us)

We decided to camp a couple of days at Franconia and start to learn the strewnfield. I was hoping a experienced Franconia hunter would be there during our stay, to point us in the right direction but no such luck! Fortunately Rick from Vegas gave us some great map info, and I re-read all the Franconia threads about railroad crossing etc.

After making the 2 hour drive from Vegas we set up camp, loaded up with as much water as possible and began the hike in. Reaching our target area, we began the hunt, and it wasn’t long before the first hit came and we had both found our first Franconia! I sure like the way the H’s sing loudly on the GMT’s compared to the Gold Basin L’s.

Later in the day we found an area that seemed un-disturbed, no dig holes . We ran into a nice pocket pulling about 400 grams out of the area along with numerous irons. Rob scored a cool 0.8 gram iron with lots of character. The next day was more of the same with the finds coming fast and furious. The big find of the day was a nice 140 grammer. I found a 94 gram puzzle piece that someone had left laying scattered around a old dig hole! We were do so well that we hunted for half the day on the third day before heading home. At the end of hunt my feet were sore from walking on all those jagged rocks, and climbing washes etc, but I had a great time and cant wait to go back. (Still didn’t find the 200 grammer, maybe next time)

Hunt results

Total weight 1,451 grams

Ordinary chondrites -147, Irons-22

Aloha Terry,

And they say that Franconia is just about hunted out! :nutty:

I love it when someone proves them wrong. Very nice collection you got for a first trip. My guess is that you have that GMT pretty well tuned .What size coil were you using BTW? I usually use the goldmax sierra honker but may switch to the stock coil to save some weight in the long run.

Aloha and once again good job.

Stan aka Kaimi

Well you guys don't have anything to cry about for awhile , it seems you 3 had a terrific hunting time while down there and that is one of the tougher fields to cash in on so be proud you all accomplished a great deed.

Great hunting guys.

Terry,

Congrats on your finds, Franconia is also getting pretty hammered a lot also lately and hard to find. Good to hear you came away with irons also.

Dave

Terry, you found a well placed "Honey Hole"....Congrats on all the finds!!! Those are some very nice specimens you have there. Irons are always fun to hunt too. Congrats again!!!!

Jason :)

Terry, Rob, inspiring success on your first time at Franconia. It just makes me wish even more I had a metal detector. :) Great job, guys!

Stan, I was using the stock coil. I have the goldmax but like you said it gets heavy and it's larger size makes it harder to use around those volcanic rocks. Also I was wondering how people deal with all the hot ground at Franconia? I found myself constantly moving to pockets of workable ground. What coil are minelab users swinging?

Also Jim were you in the rv parked on the southend or a white pickup? Those were the only other people I saw there.

Btw Rob hit Franconia again yesterday at a different area, and didn't have nearly the same luck as before. I'm thinking we just happened upon a overlooked spot as it was somewhat remote.

Terry, For the first time out, or any time out at Franconia WOW!!! did not think it possible to pull that many out at one go anymore. Most Excellent!!! Good Hunting !!! Clifton

TERRY, THAT WAS ONE HECK OF A THREE DAY HUNT. 1451GMS. WOWZA NO MATTER HOW HARD A AREA IS HUNTED THERE IS ALWAYS A SPOT THAT WAS MISSED. I USUALLY SWING A 14" NF MONO ON MY MINELAB.

HARRY

Wow, what a day of hunting. I work myself to the bone and am elated when I find one! Well done!

Troy