Nugget Shooter Forums

Very Strange Find. Need Help

G'Day Members of this great forum and very knowledgeable.

Ok, I don't know how to start this and I don't know what I have. As all of you know, over quite a considerable time I have sold off my coin collection. Boo hoo. This week I've been under the gun but I'm always out on the look out for something that would be beneficial, especially when it comes to wood. Weird, unique, it all has fascinations.

So being out in the valley, I took a short cut through a couple of back alleys and low and behold in a heap of trash that had been dumped and I mean a heap of trash, there was a small ornate multi-drawered cabinet. Seeing the low profile drawers and the intriquite inlay work, I guesstimated it had to be very, very early American originating from the East Coast.

So I stopped and was about to throw it in the back of the pick-up. But on later inspection, realized it was too far gone. But I thought, hey maybe I can save the drawers. but these too were so far gone, in fact they were full of live termites, miscellaneous mold and dry rot.

I proceeded to throw everything back on the heap and continue on when I noticed under one of the drawers something had been attached with tape. It was a very yellowed piece of paper, looked like it had been formed into a make-shift envelope. I tried to peel it off but the paper crumbled and what I was left with was one single coin.

With no more investigation, I dropped it into my pocket because I had a car directly behind me wanting to continue. Later that night, I reached in my pocket and suddenly remembered the coin. So I pulled it out and finally got a good look at it. It was strange. Something I've never seen before, not several coins, but just one coin.

So I started to investigate using the internet and Google, which led me to lots of possibilities. Then I found an area on counterfeit coins. I then scrutinized what had surfaced so far, but it never came across this particular coin.

What had me intrigued was it had no "LIBERTY" which is addressed on all of these coins, but not addressed on counterfeit coins.

So I am at a loss. So I would like some information, some input. I know there's a lot of coin collectors out there but I truly at a loss on this one.

Here's a couple of photos that I took today. I'm yet to weigh it and ascertain it's proper weight. But is definitely silver.

post-2798-0-60409600-1319332411_thumb.jp

post-2798-0-02967000-1319332426_thumb.jp

Cheers, Johnno

Yes Johnno very strange, I went thru my reference books and came close but no liberty and had a hard time but did find 15 stars listed but 1799 wasn't . Confusing. Someone here will come thru with some info.

I am looking for a guys address I had that was a whirlwind at identifying all coins see if I can find him again.

Looks like it could be a very unusual piece possibly.

Johnno , I found this searching under 1799 no liberty , hope it helps

This is a Replica of 1799 U.s. Draped Bust Dollar No Motto.

The Bust Dollar is a silver dollar coin issued by the United States government, equal to 100 cents. The Bust Dollar was minted 1795-1804, and is named for the design of liberty on the obverse that was uniform with all lesser currencies of the United States at the time (non-gold coins).

The coin has two different reverses, the earlier being the reverse from the Flowing Hair Dollar that preceded the Bust Dollar and the second being a heraldic eagle design that emulates the Great Seal of the United States. The obverse and second reverse were designed by Robert Scot, with the first reverse designed by John Eckstein.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/1799_silver_dollar_without_liberty_written_on_top_of_coin_it_dont_match_any_counterfeits_what_could_it_be_worth#ixzz1bZc12zKG

Hi Johnno-

What an unusual find and taped to the bottom of a drawer no less. I have absolutely no knowledge of coins but you should send out some emails and photos to reputable dealers to get their opinion. I would love to know the story behind that. Let is know what you come up with.

Steve

Johnno , I found this searching under 1799 no liberty , hope it helps

This is a Replica of 1799 U.s. Draped Bust Dollar No Motto.

The Bust Dollar is a silver dollar coin issued by the United States government, equal to 100 cents. The Bust Dollar was minted 1795-1804, and is named for the design of liberty on the obverse that was uniform with all lesser currencies of the United States at the time (non-gold coins).

The coin has two different reverses, the earlier being the reverse from the Flowing Hair Dollar that preceded the Bust Dollar and the second being a heraldic eagle design that emulates the Great Seal of the United States. The obverse and second reverse were designed by Robert Scot, with the first reverse designed by John Eckstein.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....h#ixzz1bZc12zKG

I believe that AzDigger has got it, here a couple of the same coin with less wear for sale for $3 to $4, they seem to be made from "white copper" and are as mentioned replicas.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/8619442/replica-1799-us-draped-bust-dollar

http://www.ioffer.com/i/replica-1799-u-s-draped-bust-dollar-no-motto-149040371

Skip

G'Day Everyone

Thanks for all the info. Now I'm really scratching my head, as you can see mine has not got copy on the shield and I am familier with silver and this has been around plus the fact and circumtances of how I found it............Could it be the real deal???????? What i see here and other places are copies, copies of what the real coin Hmmmmm .........Oh well pretty cool coin what ever it is. Never had a fake coin I could have lots of fun with this

Cheers Johnno

Johnno,

I still think it's a copy and not an error coin, but maybe made before they were forced to put the word copy on these coins, and your's may very well be silver.

Yours has 15 stars on the obverse/front just like the copies in the links, the original has 13, the bust is also identical to the one at he copy link and the bust has some irregularities from the original coin, such little differences in the hair and ribbon, bigger breasts (that not a bad thing for us guys :brows: , but not good for an original error coin), the chin is not right as well, slopes up to much, the jaw line is more pronounced on your coin, the reverse side has differences as well from the original coin, the denticles around the coin is different on both sides of the coin, i.e.they didn't use collars when the original coins were struck and the denticles extended out to the edge of the coin, yours doesn't and was struck with a collar and produced a "rim",and more subtle differences if you look closely.

Here a link to the original coin, click to enlarge.

http://www.coincommu...bust_dollar.asp

But if it's silver as you know it's worth more than the copper copies, and if it's indeed an original counterfeit coin (which I don't think it is, but without the "copy" on it, it could be) it could be worth much more than it silver content, as there are collectors of counterfeit coins out there.

The weight of your coin would help as well, the original should weight 26.96g, but the wear would drop that only slightly.

The original coin also has a "lettered" edge.

I'll keep looking for other links that may help clear up the mystery!

Skip

Well after looking at all the points you brought up, it looks like it's fake. Thank you AZDigger and Skip. Stealth work by both of you. I like the bigger breasts :lol:

Yes, it's been a bit confusing because The Red Book listed 1799 all kinds. Some have 15 star reverse. Some have 13 star reverse and then there's 8 stars to the left and 5 to the right

Cheers

Johnno

Hi Johnno!

I looked around on the internet a bit and someone mentions these are Chinese. One suggestion was to check for any kind of iron in them.

Could not find much else on these.

Jim

Johnno, I found it in my book of world coins, Its a Herialic Eagle , And my book says it could be worth as much as $15,000.00 in MS60 condition $1200.00 in XF40, your looks to be much better than that. I'd have a coin dealer look at it. but go to a few, some of those guys are not honest. Grubstake

There were mint errors in that year.

G'Day Everyone

Well the coin went off to the highest bidder! Grubstake, congratulations! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Just kidding!

I'm afraid this could be a fake. Yeah I know, it would have been great. I weighed this sucker and it came in at 20grams. But I appreciate everybody getting my hopes up.

But I will have it checked out by a coin dealer just to be on the safe side. But it fascinates me that somebody would bury a coin so well, only to have it turn out to be a fake. Looks like the laugh's on me

Cheers

Johnno

• 2 months later...

Just to bring up an older post I wanted to point out that the Chinese have been replicating our older coinage for some time and they dont always put "Copy",on them.Like the fabled Seated Dollar.....BE VERY CAREFUL,%98 of the time its fake.A good friend of mine was taken to the tune of $3000 on some!

• 2 weeks later...