Nugget Shooter Forums

What to do with mercury

shamika

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this topic.

While cleaning out the contents of a deceased relative's garage/shed, I came across a small ceramic jug containing about 10 lbs of mercury. I understand he use to do some prospecting years ago and used the mercury to separate gold. Is there a market for this mercury?

Shamika,

Welcome to the forum! :D

Here's a recent thread concerning mercury, that may give you some info.

http://www.nuggetsho...showtopic=20432

Also you need to contain the mercury properly in the meantime, it needs to be in an airtight container and placed in another seal able container filled with water for an added safety measure and kept in a relatively cool place, mercury will vaporize at room temperature when exposed to air and you cannot see the harmful vapors.

Here's a link to a site with a video that shows via ultra-violet light and a florescent background the invisible vapors that are emitted from mercury at room temperature.

http://test4mercury....apor_Videos.htm

Be safe and be careful,

Skip

What ever you do---DO NOT SHIP as much trouble doing that and they totally freak like you were trying to ship a bomb!!! Use it all the time myself CAREFULLY as those great links provided by AU will attest to--John

• 2 weeks later...