Nugget Shooter Forums

Don't forget to turn your phone GPS off

OK here is a hot tip from a acquaintance of mine that was noticing dig holes in some of his favorite and once secret nugget patches. Not going to mention any name per his request, but passing on a warning...

Apparently if someone with a smart phone has your phone # there are program apps available to allow them to track your phone if the GPS function is on! I am sure many are already aware of this, but some of us less versed in all this new crap just were not aware someone can do this without your knowing!

This fellow's once friend he met at one of the other forums and he exchanged phone #s during a hunt together at RH and soon after it started...

This guy was tracking his phone to his patches! Then going to them to hunt using back country navigator which is another app for smart phones.

At least this is what the email told me and I thought I'd throw it out here for discussion.....

Can someone really do this without you knowing or giving consent?

OK here is a hot tip from a acquaintance of mine that was noticing dig holes in some of his favorite and once secret nugget patches. Not going to mention any name per his request, but passing on a warning...

Apparently if someone with a smart phone has your phone # there are program apps available to allow them to track your phone if the GPS function is on! I am sure many are already aware of this, but some of us less versed in all this new crap just were not aware someone can do this without your knowing!

This fellow's once friend he met at one of the other forums and he exchanged phone #s during a hunt together at RH and soon after it started...

This guy was tracking his phone to his patches! Then going to them to hunt using back country navigator which is another app for smart phones.

At least this is what the email told me and I thought I'd throw it out here for discussion.....

Good advice, Bill!

However, if you do not want to be tracked, TURN THE PHONE COMPLETELY OFF. Do we all really need phones on while hunting???

Oh,,,and, cover them thar dig holes too!!

Jim

Now that's a bunch of crap! I've heard about stalkers using GPS to track people with, and would put anyone using it to track you to your favorite patches in a category somewhere underneath them.

As for legality I don't know. I can't think of any way they could enforce it.

Thanks for posting Bill.

Paul

Yes it is very possible to track a persons phone as long as it is a smart phone with gps.i used a service to track my son and daughter's phone it was called ACCU tracking,for a fee you could pull up the location of a phone that was in your QUE or account,catch is if you used this service you have to have permission from the owner to track it or the number has to be under your control like a number that is in your name.simple as that.one thing , don't get caught tracking other peoples phones.could get real nasty .........Terry

Very Interesting !

With all this Technology, we have lost our Privacy. Nothing is private anymore (what a shame)

I agree with Flak why would you have your phone with you while beeping. Then again I don't own a Smart phone. I own one of those dinosaur flip phone as one person told me they don't make those anymore.

Thanks Bill

I seen a News video once where someone can still track a phone with it being turned off. The solution they recommend is to take out the battery. Just think of this, you track someone via cell phone and when Google maps becomes real time video maybe next year. You will see the individual you are tracking in real time swinging in his/her Nugget Patch. Technology & Satellites combined WOW!!!

Most newer cell phones not just Smart phones have the GPS chip in them even if they don't have a GPS navigation program that the owner can use as a GPS, but not all, the reason that many of them have the chip is for 911 to be able to locate the owner's position in case of an emergency per recent FCC requirements, as most landline phones are setup to do, you can also locate a cell phone without a GPS chip by trilateration between cell 3 or more towers and the phone which will also met FCC requirements, but from what I understand is that the key for both of these methods to work is that the phone has to be within range of cell towers, but I could be wrong and some of the newer phones could have "real" GPS capabilities and can link up to GPS satellites directly instead of going via the provider/cell towers.

Here's a link that explains how locating a cell phone works.

http://www.gpsfortoday.com/cell-phone-gps-tracking/

Here's another link that explains what all cell phones will have to be able to do by 2018 as far as 911 requirements.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394177,00.asp#fbid=Gz7MlAbZ5Tx

Skip

NO! Unless you are law enforcement, a person can only track another person if both parties have downloaded and installed software that allows them to do so. Same as computers, don't download crap to your cell phone that you don't know what it is. And stay the hell off Facebook, Twitter, and other lame social media sites as they can track you also if you download their cell phone apps.

Did you guys in AZ see the news tonight? They caught a couple of crooks that ripped off the electronics gear. The fellow who owned the phones had put a tracking application on them and they were able to track the thieves down and nail them!

Kind of a coinkydink with this thread!

Jim

Its not just the tracking of ones phone that is an issue , but apparently if you post a picture taken from your GPS enabled phone on the internet , the picture itself has code in it that can be read and will give up the location of where the photo was taken.

Source : http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.com/2011/01/thanks-for-the-directions-to-your-nugget-patch/

All Apple products also with info kept for 6 months. At least a dozen times folks have posted a pix of their SECRET spot just to be ripped off in days no matter how isolated and nasty. 100% true and proven public fact for over a year now. Big brother IS watching and disable NOT turn off is the only answer-John

I would think you'd want your phone off while you hunt anyway

because of the potential interference.

I have been told that some of the clandestine phone apps can track

even if the phone is off.

He was indeed leaving the phone in the truck, but on in case of emergency so he could be found. Problem was once a person finds your parking spot it is easy from there.

That is why i park in a area that i can stage in then hit the trails on my quad.easy to dodge anyone following me'plus if being found is important then get a spot emergency tracker only will coast you about one month's phone bill. anyway to get one and a full year of service is 250,00 tops,or go with out and just let your family know where you are going.now as for the phone issue' you need a signal to use your phone but don't forget it's like an e-treks too sending a total different kind of signal (SAT) than a phone signal so turn off your GPS tracker (your option) or like john said disable it remove the battery if you are that concerned about being followed.Don't be surprised if you encounter moving bushes or people in gilly suits out in the bush if you dont take the proper steps to keep your honey spot a secret.....my :twocents:

The only way to truly disable this function is to not only turn off you electronic leash but you must also remove the battery. There are programs that can be downloaded to your phone with out you knowing it that lets someone virtually look into your bed room windows!

The program allows full remote access of a cell phone allowing someone else to not only track where are you at at any given moment they can also turn on your phone even if it is shut off, they can turn on your phones mic and up the gain making it a very effective bug, they can take video or photos from your phone and view them with out you even knowing it.

They can also get copied on all incoming/outgoing text/sms & email message sent through your phone and even ease drop on your phone conversations!

HOWDY ALL, MAUREEN AND I USE OUR PHONES FOR COMUNICATIONS WHEN WERE OUT DETECTING. LISTEN IN IF YOU WANT TO OR CALL AND I'LL HELP YOUALL FIND SOME OF THAT YELLOW METAL. HARRY

Two words: Mobistealth ProX

this "tool" does work to covertly track someone via their number and will do as described.

Sorry to say it, but tools like this are out there. Very few work worth a darn, but the fact that even one does is potentially dangerous.

Juggalo got it right. Somebody can walk past you and program your phone into a bugging device without even touching your phone. And you'd never even know it unless you went in looking for it or saw the results of being spied on too late.

Two words: Mobistealth ProX

this "tool" does work to covertly track someone via their number and will do as described.

Sorry to say it, but tools like this are out there. Very few work worth a darn, but the fact that even one does is potentially dangerous.

Once again... don't download crap that you don't know what it is. Android type phones are the easiest to crack because everybody and their brother can write software/maleware/spyware and toss it out into cyberspace for unknowing parties to download. That's why the Apple line of computers, iphones, etc. etc are mostly virus proof. They run a pretty tight OS and highly scrutinize their developers before releasing any source code.