Nugget Shooter Forums

Howdy Gang,

Richard Garcia hosted the 1st Annual Franconia Birthday Bash this year and what a great time had by most. The weather was just perfect, and the finds were for the most part plentiful. I arrived at the field around 6 am. with Jim & Wendy, to met up with several other hunters for the occasion. We got the logistics squared away, making sure everyone had a ride and began heading into the field by about 6:30 or 7:00. I had Roy (Digital jedi), Jim (Paleo Jim), and two others with me as we started. I gave a brief "show and tell" and it was off to the races. The goal was to head to Jason's hill or that general vicinity in hopes of everyone finding a meteorite. Well, I kept moving and searching and by about 9:30 or so, lost those that were with me. So, I continued to hunt and it was a long time before I heard anyone say anything about finding a meteorite. I think Jim scored first, then one or two others. I found a small iron, followed by about four more. I continued to hunt for the rest of the morning, not finding anything else. Then I hit an area that had a few nice (small) chondrites there. Most were on the surface, which is always a nice way to find them. I'll let the rest of the group share their stories and thanks again to Richard for a fun and successful hunt. However, Franconia is getting harder to hunt each time and you definitely have to put your time in down there. Here are my finds with a total weigh in at 111.6 gr. Enjoy, and Happy Hunting. Jason :)

DSC07925.jpg

Hey Jason,

Glad to see you made it back, you did pretty good out there congrats... The outing hosted by Richard Garcia was great !!! Thank you Richard, Jim, Wendy, and everyone else for the great outing. I did not venture to far off, but managed to get a few irons. Jim hit a very good one, he will have to tell everyone about it. Good to see faces with the names on the forums. The weather could have not been more perfect, even with a slight breeze.

Dave.

post-1046-0-82737600-1318213069_thumb.jp

Aloha guys,

As usual Jason you Rock! :wubu: Glad to see you can still pop them guys out at Franconia. Got word that Jim found an exceptional specimen and can hardly wait to see a pic of it. Hopefully I will be able to get out in time to celebrate Thanksgiving with a couple of specimens of my own :brows: that is if Jim and Wendy dont clean out the area. :tisk-tisk:

Can hardly wait to read about the others and see the pics of their finds.

Aloha and stay safe as usual.

Stan aka Kaimi :olddude:

Hi all!

T'was good to see everyone that made it to Franconia? I posted my hunt report on my webpage. We ended up hunting Sunday with Ben and Dennis in the Land Time Forgot.

Jim

Nice pictures of your finds, Jason and Dave. I had a great time, I only wish there had been more than 12 hours of daylight, because I would have stayed longer if there was. I managed to cover just over 11 miles, with an average hunting pace of 0.9 mph. I look forward to getting out there again with a detector and doing it all again.

Thanks to Richard for putting this together and for the prizes! I'm stoked with my new digital balance, it's a huge upgrade to what I had been using previously and was much appreciated.

Say Jason and Dave, Nice set of Franconia's you have there!!! I visited Jim - Wendy's site WOW nice 200 + grammer!!! Sounds like everyone had a good time. Sorry I missed it, had to work - there's got to be a better way. Good Hunting Guys and Gals!!! Clifton

Clifton, if you find that magic cure for work, let me know. Between paying the bills and the kids making more, I'll be in debt three times over....I guess I need to play megabucks or find that darn retirement nugget sooner than later...

Franconia was fun, but was I sore afterwards. It was good to see everyone and I forgot to mention, Happy Birthday to all those in attendance.

Jason :)

What a great weekend at Franconia. Thanks to all who participated and especially those who helped out. Jim/Wendy Wooddell, Jason Snyder, Dennis Miller,Ben Fisler,& Dave Dolan, who offered me some great advise.There is not much I can add that the others haven't already said with the exception of Robby's story of his small OC find and his Dad's snake encounter. A bit of advise Bob, stop playing with those Green Mojave snakes! :yikes:To all that attended the hunt and are celebrating their Birthday in October: Dennis Miller, Robby Hoover, and the ones who couldn't make it Bryan Couch & Erik Fisler HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :thumbsupanim

Stan you were in our thoughts, take care, and I hope to hook-up with you soon.

Richard aka kgmrg

My finds for the weekend:

OC 53.0g

OC 52.5g

OC 7.7g

Iron 0.5g

post-3321-0-82470900-1318360416_thumb.jp

post-3321-0-07665100-1318360423_thumb.jp

Aloha Richard,

I see you have gotten into the swing of finding them meteorites out at Franconia. :wubu:

Very nice size specimens and a great looking iron to boot. Way to go guy. I wish I could have made it BUT I decided that my physical therapy was more important at this time. :WOW: Yeah really! I had to keep on telling myself that "If I get better now I can really kick some serious butt later". It was hard not jumping into my jeep and blazing out there just for a day trip. I really am looking forward to getting out to Gold Basin by the end of this month.

From the looks of things I see that everyone had a great time.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

I am awaiting Ben's report! Should be a kick! :D

Aloha Mike,

Looking at your pics sure brings back some fond memories of my own wanderings in the same areas. In a couple of them I am sure if you had a metal detector you would have come back with a couple of nice specimens.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

Mike

Great pictorial! :thumbsupanim

I look forward in joining up again.

Richard aka kgmrg

Thanks, Richard. And thanks again for organizing this, and for my digital balance!

Aloha Mike,

Looking at your pics sure brings back some fond memories of my own wanderings in the same areas. In a couple of them I am sure if you had a metal detector you would have come back with a couple of nice specimens.

Aloha and stay safe.

Stan aka Kaimi

If I had walked over a meteorite the size of a scale cube or larger I'm confident I would have found it. :) Well, unless it was buried, I'll give you that!

Thanks, Richard. And thanks again for organizing this, and for my digital balance!

If I had walked over a meteorite the size of a scale cube or larger I'm confident I would have found it. :) Well, unless it was buried, I'll give you that!

Ohhhh Michael! REALLY? :hmmmmm:

Jim

Ohhhh Michael! REALLY? :hmmmmm:

Jim

Take my rock labeled H at the bottom of my report as an example, those are the type of things I was looking at all day, that size and larger. How many times have you found something on the surface there with your detector that you didn't see first? Don't blame me for having self confidence, you have to let me believe! :)

You must have the eyes of an eagle!!!

Near or Far; there was a time when I was certain of seeing anything I was looking for but not anymore...the eyes were the first to go...now the list is growing, growing....

fred

Well, it helps that I'm an anal retentive obsessive compulsive hyper-vigilant. It's something my friends and family have kidded me with my entire life, all you would need to do is ask them and any one of them could give you 100 stories, lol. I've always been a neat freak, to the point that when I walk through my house I pick up lint, fuzz, anything on the carpet (no shoes in the house, are you crazy?!), keep that sucker spotless between vacuuming. We have two short-haired dachshunds, and I'll spot a single hair of theirs, about an inch long, plain as day; it drives me crazy. One hair jumps out at me and I have to pick it up; yes, I have a problem, but I use my powers for good, not evil. This one time in high school a bunch of my friends were over and I was doing this, and my friend's girlfriend said, "Oh my god, he actually DOES that?! I thought you were just exaggerating!"

See, little did I know that I'd been training my entire life to look for meteorites. A 5g OC is nothing compared to a single hair. :D