Nugget Shooter Forums

It was an omen... I swear it!

GlennM

Frank (SGTFDA) and I went out for a little nugget shooting yesterday. It was simply too nice to be stuck in the house!

Well, on the way up the road we saw a dead skunk on the side of the road - and the subsequent smell.

We should have just turned around and saved the fuel at that point because we reeked of skunk!

We hit a few different spots and found a BUNCH of trash, but no gold... as is becoming the usual for me unfortunately.

There was a cool old mining shack in one of the areas and what looked like a gorgeous spot for gold to just be pouring down on us! But nothing but more and more trash.

Another area had an old foundation and evidence of having had machinery there (timbers, metal sheets and even a bunch of cans with the word "Lubrication" still visible.

Lots of fun and one heck of an adventure, but again no gold for the poke.

The odd thing...

On the way home we passed that skunk again. This time it was on the OTHER side of the road! And, even though the wind was blowing across us and we were down wind from the skunk with the windows open, no skunk smell??

Please, dear God... put some gold in our pokes!

Our poor dog Ginger got nailed by one nosing around the chicken coops a couple nights back. Think she ran it off, but still stinks a little today.

Think she nailed it pretty good and haven't seen any evidence it is still around. That's good cause didn't want it following me around.

Not a total skunk. I found the rubber foot that fell off my generator last year. We drove 20 miles up a wash into a very narrow canyon full of large rocks. Glenn said keep going your Toyota will do it. The further we went the worse it got. I said F this and backed up to a spot big enough to turn around. It's not a good sign when the narrow trail is litered with metal truck trim.

Frank you know by now that you need to keep in mind the work/hobby of the person riding with you and is

handing out all that free advise....just think about GlennM's back ground and that's why you were having

obstacle problems...to Glenn that was like a play ground...wise thing you did turning around....

In Okla. for many years I had a very good friend just like Glenn....Quail season is always wet, cold and

miserable with snow/mud thrown in....I would get to a bad looking spot...put the old Chevy in 4x4 Lo and

ask Jack what do you think....he always had only two words of advice...."NO PROBLEM"....then his

next advice was always " you know that 4x4 only gets you stuck further from the tractor"?..... :barnie:

This is true Don. Turns out we missed a turn and were in the wrong canyon. Very easy in that spot. When my butt puckers I pay attention and it was puckering. Glenn knows his off roading stuff and I keep him in check at times when he gets that wild hair up his butt. God help us if were in the Rhino. He goes over things not around them.

Help me out here-should'nt DEAD SKUNK mean NO SKUNK :hmmmmm: ??? And about those lubricant cans you all found---was the name of the place you found them called Hump back Hill-Did you hear any banjo's playing ? :WOW: Keep it puckered :ROFL: Mike C... :ph34r2:

My dog is looking at me funny because I'm laughing so hard :-)

You guys crack me up.

Ya gotta figure out the limits of the truck. :-) I think we found out the limits of Frank lol. I think coming up behind the two rock crawlers running 1 ton axles scared ya, what with playing Baja 1000 on the way outta there. o_O

Was fun, though. But my head still hurts from hitting the roof of the truck a few times.

Speaking of the Rhino... Fair warning that it will be at Gold Basin if I'm able to go B-)

The problem with traveling in 4x4 low range is that you have no reserve to get you out of trouble short of a winch, come-a-long or a lot of hand work with the ole long handled #2. As a result I very rarely go anyplace the 4x4 high range won't take me ... so that when I do get stupid and do go beyond that boundry 4x4 lo range gets me back on track! :) Btw ... my full size 2011GMC Sierra and its predecessor 2006 Chevy Silverado found traveling on ATV trails an irresistable challenge and to its liking! :) :) Both have great AZ Pin-Striping to show for it! :) :) :)

Mike F

I only suggested Frank into 4LO because of a gas pedal issue... the need to keep a foot out of it. :hmmmmm:

The one part I drove I put it in 4-Lo and literally never touched the gas just to prove the point. Brake and Clutch are your friend. And at idle RPM, you'll not burn clutch material like running the pedal while feathering the clutch. Been involved in competitive rock crawling since it began and now in hybrid desert racing (Best In The Desert Ultra4 series) and have run many of the trails from mild to wild in AZ and CA in many different vehicles (including Yota's like Frank's).

Adding to that we were at full street pressure and Frank carries enough recovery gear :miner: to have gotten that (no longer) super secret chopper :shhhhh: out of Bin Laden's compound and we had plenty of reserves.

Frank's a great guy and friend... I'd never put him or his truck in harm's way. My biggest concern where we were is catching the rear overhang of his truck on something seeing as it's a long bed. One of these days I'll just take him out for some off-road driving instruction to help with confidence. Heybeerman, wanna come help? I know you've been around the block a few times, too. :ROFL:

Not bashing him or his stuff... it's a good insurance policy!

It seriously wasn't as gnarly as described. For those of you who've been through Box Canyon out near Florence Junction or the back way to Crown King... those are considerably worse than anything we were up against. :brows:

Yup Glenn ... I've used that trick too. My comments were intended for those who may not go to remote areas often and/or infrequently use 4X drive off road if ever. You and I both know of folks who buy 4X4's and never use that function. I should have preficed my remark a little. For the experienced 4X driver your solution works great. Though a stock truck with off road package from the factory my 2011 Sierra in low gear (it's a 6 spd auto so no need to worry about the clutch! :rasberry: ) and 4X low range, I have found it to go everywhere a full size short bed truck shouldn't go! :nono::inocent::thumbsupanim

Mike F

Mike, no worries. I'm thick skinned and looked at the comment for what it was... Sharing info.

With the exposure I've been fortunate to have in the off hiway industry, and the experiences I've had on the various trails and routes, as well as with a ton of I would consider my knowledge considerable (not boasting, I try to remain humble and ears- and eyes-open).

Like I learn more and more about prospecting and mining from you all, when I tinker I might be able to help in an area that I am learned in, I will.

And it's always as just advice... To be taken, considered or ignored. Freely given, no expectations or feelings involved :-)