Nugget Shooter Forums

Working a Miner's Cabin site

GeoJack

So, I have located several miner's cabin locations, from the gold rush days, and I was wondering if anyone has worked one of these sites before and how you go about working through the trash and what can be expected to pull out of the ground.

These sites are normally just an area that is dug into the hill, about 8 x 10 area and near mine tailings or diggings.

I can hear the amount of square nails in the ground so expect to dig a ton of those out.

I was working on laying down a 2 x 2 frame on the ground and then work down until I no longer get targets then fill and reposition for another section.

If you are not looking for recoverable minerals... it does not matter if it is a claim or not......

Years ago an acquaintance used to just run all material through a screen he set up. Much faster than trying to use a detector

First I ALWAYS check for claims. These are from the 1800's. Nothing left but an indent in the ground.

Agree with El Dorado, screen and strong magnet to clear the trash.

Any suggestion on screen size? thinking 1/2".

If these cabin sites are on federal or state land and over 50 years

old,You could go to jail,get fined,and lose your equipment,and vehicle,

for removing any objects.

The Forest Service,BLM,and several states,frown on relic hunting or

disturbing historic sites. If you are doing this on a federal mining claim,

you can bet,the claim owner will be more than happy,to turn you in.

They don't want to be blamed for illegal activities either.

Ive detected a couple of sites like you stated.

Basically a dug out with a stone wall.

Found a bunch of junk....buy you never know if the little vial of gold may have fallen out of the

guys pocket! :)

Its fun!

Seriously.....I dont think anyone is going to give a rip if your out there detecting for junk.

If anyone asks....noop, I havent found a thing yet ;)

Gum

If these cabin sites are on federal or state land and over 50 years

old,You could go to jail,get fined,and lose your equipment,and vehicle,

for removing any objects.

The Forest Service,BLM,and several states,frown on relic hunting or

disturbing historic sites. If you are doing this on a federal mining claim,

you can bet,the claim owner will be more than happy,to turn you in.

They don't want to be blamed for illegal activities either.

Only removing gold. I've got all the square nails I need.

Aware of the "historical" items that cannot be removed. So would you consider old glass bottles of "historical" value? One that would dictate an arrest?

As stated above. I check ALL areas for claims before I detect there.

Not sneaking or stealing anything.

Guys

There was a member of this forum that got busted for some

square nails and a couple of old bullets. So seriously you will

get busted when caught.

Old bottles and glass are considered artifacts by the law. Also

looking for a vial or any gold in an old cabin is not prospecting

and isn't protected under the mining laws. Any finds in an old

cabin ,are under the treasure trove laws. You won't get away

with the prospecting excuse when caught.

GeoJack,

Just be cautious and not too forthcoming on anything you find that maybe considered in your wildest imagination a "relic" if question by an LEO/Ranger, etc.

I say this because about 2 years ago or so a gentleman was asked by a Ranger if he was having any luck with his metal detecting and after showing the Ranger some "old" bullets and nails that was in his "trash" pouch, the Ranger wrote him a ticket for each of the items and he paid I believe it was $100 for each violation for total of $700, just be careful what you declare if approached and questioned.

Skip

Edit: I see that Sawmill was posting the same advice and about the same incident at about the same time I was.

An old spot I use to work I found gold weighing weights, thimbles, silver spoons, buckles, chinese coins , rail road key, padlock, derringer pistol frame, but i left them in the ground ......... :shhhhh:

• 2 weeks later...

GeoJack,

A person I know in Colorado found a small cache of coins by using the metal detector to scan the log walls & fireplace for hidden areas.

With no banks cache valubles from the bad guys was a everyday practice.

Good Luck..........Remember loose lips & such.

wonderer

:wubu: Great advice-----please follow it--I ain't found nuttn'--I don't know nuttn'---and leave :brows: John---seen many horror stories of friends screwups in this area and discretion is the better part of valor as you forfeit EVERYTHING to them ranger folks and blah blah blah :WOW:

I have checked into every official web site or called the offices to get the ok to detect prior to entering the site. I follow BLM, USFS and conservatory guidelines and do not want to venture outside of this. I leave all "trash" exposed on a rock or in a tree for the next person with a MD to not have to deal with. This included the Marshall Gold Discovery Site, "hands and pans only" and other local sites which allow metal detecting and the taking of mineral samples.

As mentioned, these sites are mere indents in the ground approximately 8 x 10 feet. No rock foundation walls or other obvious signs of a building was there. Only way to know a shack was there is by the amount of nails in the ground and the non-natural indents or leveled area of where the shack was.

In our area, any mining activity noticed, tailing piles etc, normally is associated with looking up the side of the hill some to find where the miners stayed. You can usually find the leveled out spot where they pitched camp for a short time.

As stated, found nothing, took nothing, leaving right now officer.