Nugget Shooter Forums

Panning After Dark

OldSalt

Often the sun is going down by the time I am ready to pan my cons. I have tried doing this before in the garage, but the lighting is horrible. I have tried florescent, incandescent and L.E.D., but I just can’t seem to get it to work as well as natural sunlight. Has anyone figured out a good lighting set up for panning after dark? If so, please share.

Natural light is best for sure, you may want to try getting a different bulb, light bulbs come in different varieties whether they are florescent, incandescent, LED, i.e. "natural", "cool", "daytime", etc., until you find one that is best for your eyes, you may want to have several from different angles as well, though it's hard to replicate natural light.

Skip

Some of the pet stores sell a special bulb designed to mimic natural sunlight. I usually just wait until morning for the detail work -- but preliminary processes can be done under poor lighting conditions [pre-classifying, black sand removal and partial panning]. Hope this helps.

yea, I have tried a few things and always seem to get some strange glare or reflection. I will check out the pet store idea. Thanks.

I just made up a coregated piece of pipe setup with a external fish tank pump canister which works very well.Keeps circulating the water from a 5 gallon bucket of water. Cheap to make also. I have worked it after dark as I know i will never loose a piece of gold. Just keep puttin in the cons and let it run for a while. panning takes a lot of time and at night it seems you will always get some kind of reflection from the water. Maybe a blue plastic pan would do the trick.

John is right, the ones I use are the curly ones that are slightly flat curl. get a pair of "D" clamp on

fixtures and put one on either side of you. you will be amazed, just like bright sun. you can also

use them for digital photos.

The correct bulb is marked 120V 30 W 5000K (for Kelvin) that is the important # it

applies to the color of the light emitted at that voltage.

You might find them hard to get, try commercial electrical suppliers or photo shop.

Mine came in a photo kit that includes a tent for taking photos for eBay and stuff that has to be true to life.

They have to be the 5000k no matter what the bulb shape.

Max

You may want to try "OPT-Light", they come in several styles from table top models to floor stands. Use on "Antique Road Show" to give a natural light on crafts, arts, etc. They can be pricey but can be found at JO-ANN Fabric Stores, Visit there web site and you can sometime find a 50% coupons good on one item, or wait until they go on sale.

More Au to you, Robert