Nugget Shooter Forums

what is this?

Could be calcite based of the dogtooth crystals. Place a few drops of acid on it and see if it bubbles.

That's a good idea. Try a few drops of vinegar. It will be bubble really slow if you do get a reaction. and it may take a few minutes. If it does bubble - it's calcite but I don't think it is.

Steve

Yeah, you`re right. Just the grey part make bubbles, but green part do not get a reaction, wow. Thank u very much for advice. Then the green part is something else, it`s like a glass. It can be olivine? Idk

Mihail

sure does look like olivine to me..... :twocents:

I was wonderin if the main groundmass was limestone, if it is, does the purple crystal floures or glow under a black light? I don't think amethyst is floresent, but flourite does, and flourite can be green and or yellow, or even purple, and the purple could also be celestite. On the outer side of that rock there it looks a little yellow kinda like sulpher. I've got a couple quarries near by, limestone quarries, and the rock and boulders that come from these quarries is chock-full of calcite, celestite, flourite, sulpher, and strontianite, so a black light and some hydrochloric put right on the main groundmass might answer some questions, or might add to yer mystery. But it looks like to me because violet, green and yellow are flourite's most common colors along with some transparent crystals which would be free of trace elements. Then add to the fact that the colors can occur in distinct zones within all the crystals, following the contour of the crystal faces, thats what it kinda looks like you got goin on there in that rock, i don't know, could just be some amethyst and olivne. Sorry I threw 2 more pennies in the mix.

Oh no, I'm the one probably wrong. All I'm sayin is with just a visual inspection of a photo, knowin the groundmass from which the specimen was cut or carved from would let us steer this fella down a more correct trail, cause yer quartz, amethyst, and olivines occur more commonly in granitic pegmatites vs. the calcite, celestites, and flourites occuring more commonly in the limestones. Finally, throw the fact that flourites do occur with quartz in yet other groundmasses. I think this fella needs to learn about some of the tests an amateur rockhound can do in the field or at home, you know, hardness, specific gravity, color, luster, streak,tenacity, cleavage fracture, and flourescence. i guess, in a pinch, it's ok to go to a site like this, post a pic, and ask, "what is this?" But I would rather try to figure it out on my own, isn't that how one learns?

I was thinking it looks like jade aslo.... That rock is really cool what ever it is and would make a very eclectic bathtub for sure!

Archived