Nugget Shooter Forums

hey guys in need of a little help

If I was you I would post the photos before I went out and bought anything. I would show the window that you cut in the photos, and tell everybody why you think it is a meteorite.

When I first started out hunting I brought back a lot of rocks, to test out thinking they were meteorites.

Hell I even picked up a rock walking across a parking lot yesterday, It looked like a meteorite, and with my eyes I had to pick it up, after all how did this rock get there?

Once I picked it up I knew that I just got some exercise bending over to pick it up, but that was it, must have fell out of a truck, or some darn kid was kicking the rock to get it into the middle of the parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You never know stranger things have happened, there are a lot of things that look like a iron meteorite. Depending on where you are hunting, you could be picking up slag!

Rick

This is the best website I have found to narrow it down, It has quite a few slag examples, since you suspect it is an Iron.

Else where on the site specific gravity test is explained, step by step with photo's.

To etch is simple, several youtube can be found.

http://meteorites.wu...eteorwrongs.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Those make pretty terrible look good.

You need to start by doing a little leg work for yourself. Go to the website link I provided, read the identify if you have a meteorite, if you pass all the criteria, explain it in your post and provide viewable pictures and seek advice if you are unable to proceed further.

Your post is an example of what not to do.

We can't do it for you over the internet. You have to test it.

No competent determination can be given from anyone with no information and even a good picture.

Those make pretty terrible look good.

You need to start by doing a little leg work for yourself. Go to the website link I provided, read the identify if you have a meteorite, if you pass all the criteria, explain it in your post and provide viewable pictures and seek advice if you are unable to proceed further.

Your post is an example of what not to do.

We can't do it for you over the internet. You have to test it.

No competent determination can be given from anyone with no information and even a good picture.

Amen.