Nugget Shooter Forums

Which Coil Would You Recommend

Chris Coffee

Well, luck has shined its light upon me and I am going to be able to keep my GP3000 after all. I have some money saved up and am looking at picking up a new coil. I did sell my 14" NF XP DD Elliptical, though. I have been looking at the Commander Coils as well as Coiltek Coils. My limit right now is $300, so the big 14" and up monsters are going to be out of my budget. So my main considerations have been the Minelab Commander 8" DD Round or the Minelab Commander 10" DD Elliptical. To be honest I haven't done much research on the Coilteks yet as I have been fighting an AWFUL case of bronchitis.

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Fred is right,

That stock DD is underrated. That 6x10 DD is a must have. The commander line is the best value/performance the only real knock on them (the larger ones) is the weight but thats what a hipstick is for.

But,

I have been playing with a new NF 8x6 mono. I think I'll call it "the gold bug killer".

Chris ... Your stock 11" minelab dd coil that came with the GP3K (I had one with my then new GP3K to begin my career) is a great coil ... If i were considering another coil beyond it I would go with either the commander 11" rd mono or the commander 8" rd mono... both are made by minelab for minelab ... I have been a nuggetfinder fan for the 8 years I have been a nugget hunter until recently when I tried out the 8" commander ... Killer coil. Up to that time my 11' DD and mono commander coils remained unused ... not anymore! nuggetfinder coils are taking second seat in my arsenal ... they do have their place ... but I have had good luck with the commanders lately so will stick by them until proven otherwise. Just one man's story!

Mike F

Chris ... Your stock 11" minelab dd coil that came with the GP3K (I had one with my then new GP3K to begin my career) is a great coil ... If i were considering another coil beyond it I would go with either the commander 11" rd mono or the commander 8" rd mono... both are made by minelab for minelab ... I have been a nuggetfinder fan for the 8 years I have been a nugget hunter until recently when I tried out the 8" commander ... Killer coil. Up to that time my 11' DD and mono commander coils remained unused ... not anymore! nuggetfinder coils are taking second seat in my arsenal ... they do have their place ... but I have had good luck with the commanders lately so will stick by them until proven otherwise. Just one man's story!

Mike F

Thanks, Mike! I do have the 11" Commander Mono and the stock 11" DD as well. I have really been eyeballing that 8" Round Mono Commander. Hearing a lot of good things about it and the size would be perfect for the ground that I have to cover. There are A LOT of creosote, sage, and manzanita brush where I normally go and that causes me to have to pick my coil up off the ground quite frequently. Kinda hoping a smaller coil will make maneuverability easier for me.

Chris; if you are picking your coil up and moving away from the base of those bushes...you are most likely passing up the undetected ground...the edge of the mono coils are very sensitive. If you will gently push the coil under the brush and listen carefully for signals you will certainly increase your success rate. I repeat...gentle...the rod and coil are not brush-wackers! If you want a small coil without buying one then use the dd as a psudo-mono coil...it is very, very sensitive.

Yes, I know that almost everyone is telling you to get a bushel of coils but you don't need them...albeit; everyone wants them...a slow and steady swing, a properly tuned machine and the belief that success is only one more swing away...that is what you need most...don't we all!

Ah Fred ... You are wise beyond your years! :old: You are right of course ole wise one that the coil that comes with the machine ... 11"rd DD ... will do it all. I just find after 8 years that sometimes I feel that one coil will do that much better than some other one ... probably all in my head ... or at least most of it. I only have 5 coils right now ... the most used is the 11 rd mono and the 8 rd mono ... both are commanders ... they work great with my gpx5000 ... even better than my former Nuggetfinder 14E mono superlight that I started using on my 4500. Now it gathers a bit of dust.

Mike F

Chris; if you are picking your coil up and moving away from the base of those bushes...you are most likely passing up the undetected ground...the edge of the mono coils are very sensitive. If you will gently push the coil under the brush and listen carefully for signals you will certainly increase your success rate. I repeat...gentle...the rod and coil are not brush-wackers! If you want a small coil without buying one then use the dd as a psudo-mono coil...it is very, very sensitive.

Yes, I know that almost everyone is telling you to get a bushel of coils but you don't need them...albeit; everyone wants them...a slow and steady swing, a properly tuned machine and the belief that success is only one more swing away...that is what you need most...don't we all!

Fred....thanks for the reply. Though it is something I don't like to do, I do go around bushes out here. The majority of the brush out here is the creosote, and because it is the main habitat for the endangered Desert Tortoise, it is against Federal Law to dig them up. So since I can't dig them I just try to avoid them altogether.

i did get to experience the sensitivity of the leading edge of the 11" Commander Mono I have today. I never realized the edges could be that sensitive. I REALLY like that coil. :D

Chris, digging around a bush is not the same as digging up a bush...i have seen utter death and destruction on some gold fields done by stupid, greedy gold hunters that have no concern for mother earth or the beauty of the world...you can dig a discreet hole, extract the target and PUT THE DIRT BACK...it ain't nearly a difficult as one might think from seeing all the holes that others have left behind...

Yes, there is an unavoidable amount of turmoil but one does not have to dig up every rock and bush when detecting.

Every so often a picture comes up on Bill's main site that has me butt deep in a hole I dug in Gold basin...I could take you there and put you on it but you would never know there had been a hole....fill your holes, Boys!

fred

That is absolutely true, Fred! I guess I just read a little too much into the "digging around a bush" thing. My bad! Even though I am a firm believer that PETA stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals", I am somewhat of an animal lover myself. I don't go overboard, but I didn't want to do anything detrimental to the tortoise either. Thanks for the post.

I found my first nugget in the el pasos with gp 3000 and stock 11" dd coil found about 2 ounces over the years I'd say that 90% of the nuggets I found were with the stock 11" coil once you find your first nugget move in with bigger coils and the monos problem is in the el pasos is the volcanic basalt hotrocks. Another tip detect where overburden is shallower and look for decomposed bedrock you'd be amazed how far gold works it's way down into decomposed bedrock.research is the key and have a clear mindset is also the key to nuggetshooting. Good luck Chrisau4fun

I dug trash for 8 hours before I found my first nugget it was my second trip I can only detect for about 3-4 hours before I'm exhausted and that first nugget was under the branches of a sagebrush or some people call it creosote bush nugget was about 3-4 inches down weight 1.2 grms not trying to write a book just trying to share my experience and knowledge. My first two posts I will try to post some pics if I can figure it out I'd say stick with 11" dd until you hit a patch then worry about different coils, you could have every coil made but until you put your coil over gold you won't find it go slow the slower the better. chrisau4fun

Chris ... Ahhh ... GrassHopper you have learned your first lesson well. Learn the machine with the stock equipment and settings and then low and slow ... if the gold is there the 11" DD stock coil will find it and tell you to dig. Great job. Now for your second lesson ... if you are tiring after only a few hours try using a bungie cord or a HipStick ... either will assist you no matter the coil size and allow you to swing all day if you choose to.

Keep up the good work, GrassHopper! :ya:

Mike F

Chris we just had our baby boy.give me a few more weeks and i will be up there with a few diffrent size coiltk's, a commander, and nugget finder coils then you can get a taste of diffrent size and brands, :idea: looking foward to our hunt togeather.....Terry

Chris we just had our baby boy.give me a few more weeks and i will be up there with a few diffrent size coiltk's, a commander, and nugget finder coils then you can get a taste of diffrent size and brands, :idea: looking foward to our hunt togeather.....Terry

Terry,

First and foremost CONGRATULATIONS on the new boy. I thought she wasn't due till October some time? Regardless, she had him, he's healthy, what more can you ask for. Looking forward to our hunt as well. Take care of that family of yours first, my friend, then we'll tear up the desert. :brows:

Ah Fred ... You are wise beyond your years! :old: You are right of course ole wise one that the coil that comes with the machine ... 11"rd DD ... will do it all. I just find after 8 years that sometimes I feel that one coil will do that much better than some other one ... probably all in my head ... or at least most of it. I only have 5 coils right now ... the most used is the 11 rd mono and the 8 rd mono ... both are commanders ... they work great with my gpx5000 ... even better than my former Nuggetfinder 14E mono superlight that I started using on my 4500. Now it gathers a bit of dust.

Mike F

X-2