Nugget Shooter Forums

Am I destroying my pickup?

I'm not driving a new truck back in those bushes. Buy a beater just for prospecting. Put a few bucks into it and off you go. My 85 toyota 4x4 gets me in and out of some rough tight spots and I can carry the stuff I need

Dito Frank....86 Toyota here and I put it where I want it...oil change every 5,000KM....a few parts and it's good to go...ain't

pretty so that makes two of us...

And from what I remember Gar... that Yota has been loaded to the hilt with gear!! and she Gitz-R-done. Love seeing that picture of it loaded with all that prospecting gear.

12000 will buy you another ford ranger too, lots of places you can go with a street legal vehicle that you can't go with a quad here in communist red california. Quads are fun I don't see how you could go wrong. you might invest in a sattelite phone or an EPirb if you are really getting back in the bush.

My Ride, 2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 4.0 lt engine. Grubstake

Exact same truck I have with the same miles on it too. I don't have a cap though. this is my 5th Ranger. Only thing ford makes these days that are good. Just got rid of my 06 F250 diesel. that thing was a sorry turd. 3rd time it left me stranded with a blown headgasket at 57,000 miles I traded it for the ranger. What a sorry, expensive, piece of shite.

Myuncle has a 96 F250 diesel, and its only got 60,000 on it, it s a4x4 with a 7.5 lt engine, he had manual hubs put on it, it will go anywhere, and its still like new. The new ones with the 6.0 lt. engine are crap. Grubstake

Heading out in my righteous 86 toy,longbed,long trans,22re at 7am this morning. Leave my pretty red tacoma home as it don't fit between the trees on my claims and the brush scratches the holy LL outta everything that comes through.

post-23710-0-64918200-1316694005_thumb.j

post-23710-0-47260600-1316694170_thumb.j

H John, I bought a 99 Taco from my ex SNL for $500. Needed a 5sp.. CAUSE HE NEVER CHECKED THE FLUID IN IT. $600 for a trans and new Clutch. I sware that was the roughest ride in a 4x4 I ever had! And over the years I have had and rode in many! Thought the axles were welded to the frame. Not a good daily driver. Sold it in July for $2500 and bought a 92 Jeep Cherokeefor $1000. totally stock with 127k on it.Winter I will add a 2" lift and set it up to tow behind my M/H. Drove it to Pheinox and back Labor Day weekend, close to 3000 miles. Like the ride much better! Oh, I have a 97 GMC Yukon also, Gas mileage Sucks on it. I like to be able to lock my gear up. We are in the Meth capital of the N.W.!!

Hey Garimpo I bet if you left your truck parked and rode your quad into a area the truck would be gone on your return. I like to keep a eye on my stuff. I know guys walking on one leg from pushing quads into those rough spots. Don I don't think anyone I know goes into more remote areas than you do in your Toyota. I looked at that before I bought one. I look at what guys like you and Hoser John use. I know there is a reason. It works

• Like 1

Anyone with a new truck that does not want to get desert pinstriping should look into this stuff... it works very well. Mine has been on for almost 4 years now. www.camoclad.com

IMG_3154.jpg

Great looking camo there.

Did you install it yourself?

I wonder if it can be used on a very old truck with the clear coat gone? Palo Verde's here in Arizona play hell on a clear coat.

Patrick.....

I spend a few hours twice a year tightening up bolts loosened by 4 x 4 shake rattle and roll. Blackbone ol'bud didn't--you ever see a bumper fall off and being run over??? took out radiator,oil coolers,drip pan,transmission and MUCH more. Err on the side of common sense and caution and you'll be ok offroad...... not??? well adios your rig-John PS-WOW El D 4 years already?? amazing looks like holding up good. Seen a few here not so. At the car show I judged in July there was a old school toy like mine completely covered in rhinoliner and it looked cool too!!!

Hey Garimpo I bet if you left your truck parked and rode your quad into a area the truck would be gone on your return. I like to keep a eye on my stuff. I know guys walking on one leg from pushing quads into those rough spots. Don I don't think anyone I know goes into more remote areas than you do in your Toyota. I looked at that before I bought one. I look at what guys like you and Hoser John use. I know there is a reason. It works

Frank your right...I don't abuse the old Toy but I do use if for what it was made for....especially now that I've got "lockers" up

front and in the rear diffs.....I've never before had a true 4x4 where all four pull at the same time...amazing....about two months

ago I took the locker out of the rear diff. because of the cracking and clanking here in town....a couple of times I've needed more

traction so I locked the front axle in and that gave me a great 3x4....when the rains starts again in about Dec. I'll put the locker

back in the rear diff....

I'm with you on staying reasonably close to the PU so if the alarm goes off I can get there in a hurry...down here they will

steal anything not nailed down and I've had that happen twice and the alarm scared them off....

Another very good reason for US buying old PU's is the old ones are mostly all metal....the only plastic I have is the dash!

About the Gov. maintained bridges here....about three months ago my right rear wheel fell through one of them...the axle

was resting on the wood planks....I got out to take a look and after several "oh crap's" I locked the front hubs in...put the

transfer in 4x4 Lo and let the clutch out easy....what a great relief to be able to gradually see over the hood again...WHEW!

You can ask El D. how he fixed the broken spring on my gas pedal....I would have never thought of it....just goes to show you

what the old mechanic can do when he's sober....

• 3 weeks later...

While any amount of non-paved travel (and some paved travel... If the city doesn't keep up with repairs) will accelerate wear on the vehicle, as has been stated - common sense and vigorous routine maintenance and checks will help to counter that.

As a custom offroad vehicle builder, I have seen many folks afraid to use their vehicles (note I said use, not abuse) for what they're built.

Heck, I've taken my 1 ton, quad cab, Cummins 2 wheel drive places it shouldn't go. Only once did I have to call out the cavalry. But I used common sense (most of the time) and knew the trucks limitations. The one time I had to call for help was because I ran into a wilderness boundary and couldn't stop or turn around without getting stuck in he sand... So I got stuck.

I consider myself an experienced off highway vehicle driver and have driven a bunch of different vehicles out in the AZ trails.

Know your limits, know your vehicles limits and know your mechanical ability... Never exceed any of the three. But do push them a little and you'll see your limits expand.

Now, my preferred method of desert travel is:

post-23549-0-00573800-1318173300_thumb.j

About $60K in parts and 2000 man hours.

And it's not fully "dressed" in this pic because it was out short course racing. The lighting, spare and skid plates are the major things not on the car in this pic. It is also about 6' in the air at Speedworld in AZ when those was taken.

If only I had the money to finish my Jeep :-)

I've been out of work through the summer and liberating in the AC here in Central AZ. Now that the weather is trying to turn I'll be out after some gold B-)