Nugget Shooter Forums
El Dorado

Weekend w/Grand Nephew

I had promised my grand nephew a weekend camping trip to the "Digs" for quit awhile. Recently we have had some very bad bear issues around camp and decided a day trip would be a better choice. I had told him I would teach him how to detect for gold, drive my RZR and what he was most excited about, to shoot a pellet gun. He is 9 years old and a very intelligent well spoke little gentleman named Aiden.

We were able to put him on gold rightpost-1252-0-57577900-1316372788_thumb.jp out of the gate! He got 9 dinks for a total of .4 grampost-1252-0-41001600-1316372854_thumb.jp. Very good for his first trip for sure!

Next Mrs. El Dorado gave him a little driving lesson in the RZR. He sat on her lap and did the steeringpost-1252-0-58219500-1316372944_thumb.jp, he actually got a few miles under his belt.

Now back at the homestead he got his very first shooting lesson. I have been asking his parents to let me do this for the last 4 years and finally got the go ahead. Spent time giving the all important safety talks, then came the shooting! The pellet rifle was a bit to large for him, but we made it work and he shot like a champ!post-1252-0-98396700-1316373161_thumb.jp

The target:post-1252-0-07703900-1316373194_thumb.jp

What a great time to show Aiden all these new to him things he has wanted to experience for such a long timepost-1252-0-58219500-1316372944_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Why you should be arrested for child abuse. How dare you... introducing a kid to the outdoors with something that's as fun and enjoyable as detecting, shooting, and riding. I'm going to file my report to the CSCP right now. :P

What a great post! What a great Uncle.....

I am so fortunate I had an older brother to take me out when I was a youngster.

I hope he continues to enjoy the out doors, and all it has to offer.

Patrick.....

That is AWESOME what a great post.................OK i'm next when can I come up steve :inocent:

Great Post and Pics El D! What a GREAT time. I wasn't even there and I'm smiling! :wubu:

Such a GREAT Grand Uncle you are Steve!!!

That is something he will remember for the rest of his life!!! :thumbsupanim

I hope this will be the first of many such trips for him!!!

Skip

we have taken him camping most years on his B'day since he was 1..... we did miss a few of the most recent years due to turmoil in his family. I actually had him panning when he was 5 and first had him playing poker on that same trip. post-1252-0-92364500-1316388253_thumb.jp

That is great Steve! I bet he never forgets this trip.

Little does he know ,....what a great mentor he has. Thanks for the post.

Looks like he's now an official nugget shooter and a marksman :)

Right on Steve,gotta teach'm as young as possible to counteract school antimining brain washing. All my Grandkids have gone citified as soon as teens hit,bummer. Good to see your out and about but amazed to see the razr?? Thought ya deleted atvs??? Take care and your NOT the only bear troubles. 2 bears,one a mama with youngn', have run me off, low LOW water too. Bummer when they visit ya because they can't sleep due to my noise from engine running. Ate a gas can and hose whilst I was under and don't like ghost visits when unarmed--prosper and respect bud-John :D

Clearly, Aiden has the Stuff that makes a great outdoorsman and with your mentoring he can't go wrong! Great memories for ever!!!

fred

Got the right detector going. Good on ya.

Looks like Bottle Hill area?

Great post El Dorado! Some of my fondest memories were going camping with my grandparents in Georgetown. They had some friends with property on Canyon Creek and they took me a few times starting when I was about 7 or 8... Waking up to bacon and eggs on the coleman stove, seeing grandpa jump into a freezing creek at 6am in early spring for a morning wash up, going on hikes with his revolver on his side, gold panning with grandma and finding gold.

Memories a kid will never forget... and glad I had the opportunity to grow up with an "outdoors" type family that took me to these types of places.

To this day, nothing better than the early morning smell of the forest and sound of a stream.

Steve, got to agree with all above. Get a big kick out of taking grandson (and daughter) out camping and detecting.

Only thing I'd do different is let him shoot, then have him detect the pellets up, before turning him loose on the gold! He'll appreciate trash free areas more, but then you know how hard azz I can be ;-)

Great post and GREAT deed. I hope someday I can do something like that for Someone

Hey Steve ... Let's see shooting, prospecting, driving ... AND poker! You have corrupted the poor kid for the rest of his life ... Great job. I hope to have the same opportunity with grand kids if my two boys ever convince their better half that it is time to hatch out one or two! :) In the mean time I just try to help out those folks who seem to be struggling with getting their kids outside and away from the video games ... at least for a short time. You know the younger ones seem to have a short attention span unless they get very interested in something. Looks like your grand nephew has your attention and you his ... keep up the good work.

Mike F

El Dorado, Great post he must of had the time of his Life with you and the Mrs. Your a great Grand Uncle and I'm sure you got a kick out of it to. :)

Jon

wspa 037

Great job El D! Those are the experiences that young man will carry with him the rest of his life, and I'd say he's much better for it. I wish more people would invest their time that way.

Paul