Nugget Shooter Forums

Who saw the fireball 9-14-2011

I was driving home heading S on hwy 89 N. of Chino Valley, AZ and watched a great fireball moving NNW to SSE in the western sky. It was spectacular blue green orange etc. It did not seem to be losing much altitude during its flight that lasted probably 15 seconds or more. Reports from S. CA say it was in the east so somewhere in the S. CA S. AZ desert might be pieces of this meteor.

I was driving home heading S on hwy 89 N. of Chino Valley, AZ and watched a great fireball moving NNW to SSE in the western sky. It was spectacular blue green orange etc. It did not seem to be losing much altitude during its flight that lasted probably 15 seconds or more. Reports from S. CA say it was in the east so somewhere in the S. CA S. AZ desert might be pieces of this meteor.

Caught a glimpse of it walking the dog. One of the better ones I've seen. Looked to me like space junk by the different colors of the burning metal, plus the trailing "sparks" on the tail was a dead giveaway. Most meteors I've ever seen burn very hot and have a tighter tail and don't disintegrate as easily. I'm guessing if any pieces made it to the ground, they ended up in New Mexico or Texas.

Nope missed it, but good to see you are still around!

Hey Bill. Still around just not very active on the forums.

Who gave me the red beard avatar??? I like it.

Since it was in the west of me and east of S. CA it must be somewhere in between. Might have made it all the way to Mexico though. It must have been quite high and a grazing strike because it was apparently going so slow and so long.

The colors are caused by different metals in the material.

Yup all over the news and folks are likely out looking for it as we speak, color on entry indicated very high metal content as in an iron or..... That was according to a very pretty expert from ASU... This one could be well worth looking for.....

G'Day Everyone

Yes, when I got home last night I was a little freyed. It was a 15-1/2 hour day, so yes of course I was feeling happy, energetic and loving life. When I walked in the back gate, Kat was on the phone to her daughter Taryn who lives in Pahrump, NV. She visited us on the 4th of July and she was interested in meteorites. So a long discussion, short and sweet, she left and went back home.

Well to my surprise, she actually paid attention to what I said. Now I'm an old fart and don't expect much talking to the younger folk. But I walked in the back gate and Kat was on the phone with Taryn, she immediately called to report a fireball. Which was pretty nice considering she called us immediately. Then I had to set about getting some information because I wanted to post it up on a couple of other places. So it was tough getting details out of her because she wasn't paying attention to what others would think was vital information. She was just so happy to see a bolide in the sky.

This was her response...

She was driving on Pahrump Valley Blvd heading South in the town of Pahrump. The light was not very high in the sky about 35 - 40 degrees. It was bright green and looked like a firework. She was able to look at it for at least 5 seconds as it was heading East and South to Las Vegas. No sonic boom was heard. Many other people in town also saw this.

She was very excited about the whole issue and I was very excited that she actually called us. It would have been great if it had have been today and dropped a hell of a lot of material because today I celebrate Carancas, a fall with an attitude as well as it fell on Kat's birthday today. She could have had another meteorite on her list. Oh well, let's not get greedy ;)

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=45817

http://meteoriteguy.com/adventures/carancas/carancasfall.htm

Cheers

Johnno

I seen it last night while I was driving home from work-I did'nt see any colors other than a bright light with a long tail diving in and out of the clouds-it sure lit up the clouds-it seemed very low and appeared to be heading in a S SE direction-That was one biggggg space turd. :hmmmmm: Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Guys-

I was watching the national news last night and according to NASA, they were tracking this as it entered the atmosphere. They stated it was the size of a volleyball which leads me to my question. Is there a general formula to determine the mass of previous falls based on recovered weight? Let's say there were 2000 pounds of Gold Basin meteorites found and it all came from a single fall. Is there any way to determine what size it might have been before it entered the atmosphere? :hmmmmm:

Steve

Meteorite Size.

The media, and even the astronomers they have interviewed, have given much incorrect info on this event. The scientifically determined formula for determining meteoroid size from magnitude is fairly well understood. Initial mass of a meteorite entering earth's atmosphere at a 45* angle directly above an observer will produce an absolute visual magnitude based on km/s.

The very minimum magnitude of this event was no less than -10, which would indicate a probable minimum mass of 10 kg. However, it was far more likely to have been closer to -12 magnitude or above, which would indicate an initial mass of 100 kg or greater. Its videod appearance shows a cohesive flight with minimal ablation, characteristic of irons. I would expect 25 kg of recoverable material could be found with proper triangulation. I have field experience in locating falls and would be interested in info from actual close observers.

billpeters 480-813-0607

I have field experience in locating falls and would be interested in info from actual close observers.

I would suggest researching all the media reports that you possibly can along the flight path. When you get to a point where nobody saw anything at the tail end, that would be a good place to research even further. I saw it at about the 1/2 point as it was streaking across the sky. Who knows where it ended up, as distance is very hard to gauge from an object that appears to be the size of a bus in flight, but yet in reality is only the size of a basketball or even smaller.

Meteorite Size.

The media, and even the astronomers they have interviewed, have given much incorrect info on this event. The scientifically determined formula for determining meteoroid size from magnitude is fairly well understood. Initial mass of a meteorite entering earth's atmosphere at a 45* angle directly above an observer will produce an absolute visual magnitude based on km/s.

The very minimum magnitude of this event was no less than -10, which would indicate a probable minimum mass of 10 kg. However, it was far more likely to have been closer to -12 magnitude or above, which would indicate an initial mass of 100 kg or greater. Its videod appearance shows a cohesive flight with minimal ablation, characteristic of irons. I would expect 25 kg of recoverable material could be found with proper triangulation. I have field experience in locating falls and would be interested in info from actual close observers.

billpeters 480-813-0607

This is the first I've read of determining the size of a potential meteorite fall from the magnitude. Interesting. :hmmmmm:

Thanks for posting.

Steve

Meteorite Size.

billpeters 480-813-0607

Hello Bill!

What I need is a valid EXACT time it was witnessed! I would love to see a witness statement that said something like, "

I saw this thing and I looked at the time on my cellphone and it was exactly 7:4? pm".

Times range from 0241z to 0252z in witness reports. I have over 30 hours researching radar data for this event along with Rob Matson and Eric Fries and so far, nothing to report. There was much moisture in the air that could eliminate the possibility of finding anything. That said, I did find two anomalies that can not be ruled out! One at 11km and one at 27km altitudes.

What I can safely conclude at this point is there are no signatures like Mifflin to be found between Flagstaff, Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma NEXRADs between 0242z and 0252z that I can find.

Cheers!

Jim

Meteorite Size.

billpeters 480-813-0607

Bill....also this thing exploded several times into many pieces along it's witnessed path into many pieces. The Mexican camera caught this and several eyewitness statements confirm this. It is possible, there are multiple fall locations.

Jim

Hi All,

Judging from the visual reports from eyewitnesses, this fall probably landed within the boundaries of either the Papago, or Pima Indian Reservations. If that is the case, then we should move on to other things, and not waste our time. This fireball is NOT as large as the one from "the Casa Grande Event" in june of 1998. I myself, hunted for this one and have a pretty good idea where it could be found. It too, was traced to that same part of the state, and as any native Arizonan will tell you - there are not now, nor will there ever be, meteorites on an Indian Reservation. We will at least have a chance, if it fell on the Goldwater Gunnery Range. Maybe we'll be lucky, and it can be traced to BLM lands.

Ben

Hello Bill!

What I need is a valid EXACT time it was witnessed! I would love to see a witness statement that said something like, "

I saw this thing and I looked at the time on my cellphone and it was exactly 7:4? pm".

Times range from 0241z to 0252z in witness reports. I have over 30 hours researching radar data for this event along with Rob Matson and Eric Fries and so far, nothing to report. There was much moisture in the air that could eliminate the possibility of finding anything. That said, I did find two anomalies that can not be ruled out! One at 11km and one at 27km altitudes.

What I can safely conclude at this point is there are no signatures like Mifflin to be found between Flagstaff, Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma NEXRADs between 0242z and 0252z that I can find.

Cheers!

Jim

Hi Jim,

We witnessed this event at exactly 7:45 pm PDT. This was confirmed by both my truck clock and my son's cell phone. With that said, it seems all the radars were in-between sweeps, with none sweeping at exactly 7:45. The Las Vegas radar did have a sweep at 7:46, but no telltale meteorite signatures are present.

From my investigation of the various eyewitness reports, my guess is this meteor landed somewhere north of the 10 fwy, just inside Arizona. I guess we'll never know for sure...until one of us finds it! ;)

It's an Apollo.

This meteorite was clearly an Apollo type with a semi-major axis greater that 1.0 AU. The meteorite overtook the Earth at 7:45p hitting the back side (sunrise is front, sunset is back). It came in from the west, which would further indicate it came from nearly directly behind. Therefore, the relative velocity will be quite slow, in the neighborhood of 18 km/s. The minimum sustainable velocity would be 12 km/s with a reasonable upper limit of 24 km/s. This is good news for meteorite hunters as the slower the velocity of the incoming object the more massive it would have to be to produce the same magnitude. The principle is that for every 10-fold increase in mass the magnitude increases by -2.25. You can extrapolate from the chart below that the minimum mass of a slow moving 18~km/s meteorite to have visual magnitude of at least -10.0 mag. would require a minimum mass of 100 kg. and a likely initial mass of 850 kg at a more reasonable -12.0 mag. It's looking more like initial size was about one meter in diameter. I haven't seen enough data yet to infer whether it is stony or iron in composition. (Sorry, I cannot download the chart here, but will email interested parties)

billpeters 602-312-9888 bill@aflscorp.com

Who’s up for a search?

Jim, Rob Matson, and Eric Fries,

I am keenly interested in recovery of fresh falls, especially this one. I would like to get in contact with you about how and from where you have obtained your radar info. I would like to determine what additional steps could be taken to gather additional substantive data, including satellite data about this and future events.

I have successfully found fresh falls and would like to work together with others to gather observer info on this event.

I have spent over 500 hours searching for the Stanfield Fall, west of Casa Grande, AZ since 1998. Yes, that’s right 500 hours. I had visited over 300 homes interviewing dozens of very good witnesses with quality opened question in a fairly close semicircle around the probable fall site. Years ago I even obtained permission to go on the land from the local tribe since part of the search zone was on the reservation, to no avail.

In this case, I would work together to ID a narrow fall zone through local interviews and field searches.

Billpeters 602-312-9888 bill@aflscorp.com

Hi Jim,

We witnessed this event at exactly 7:45 pm PDT. This was confirmed by both my truck clock and my son's cell phone. With that said, it seems all the radars were in-between sweeps, with none sweeping at exactly 7:45. The Las Vegas radar did have a sweep at 7:46, but no telltale meteorite signatures are present.

From my investigation of the various eyewitness reports, my guess is this meteor landed somewhere north of the 10 fwy, just inside Arizona. I guess we'll never know for sure...until one of us finds it! ;)

Hi Dale!

Your time matches the Camera at Hermosilla. 024510Z

The time on the data file is when the radio began collecting data for that sweep. One can actually calculate times based on the type of sweeps the operator chooses which is normally based on the type of weather they are looking at.

Jim