Nugget Shooter Forums

A little bit of AZ mining history

I love it! Love Minning and Logging History. Spent many hours wandering around in minnig towns and old logging towns here in Washington looking at pictures and wondering about life back then,amazed at what they could do without modern machines. They had TRUE GRITT!!!!

Nice music and the pictures twern't bad either. ;) Kinda puts the lie to the myth that miners are despoilers of the land. Ruged but beautiful country, would be nice to detect those old sites.

Gramps

• 3 weeks later...

I'm amazed how completely these old mines and prospects disappear. I have been looking for some of the old Cave Creek mines (Maricopa, Phoenix, etc) and there is not much around these old spots to hint at the past. I'm amazed at how few visible artifacts there are.

Keep in mind that mining in the 1800s-1900s had much less of an impact on the land than current mining. There were few roads, even fewer motorized vehicles and the volume and nature of the trash was immensely less.

I drove past the Newgold facility by Glamis, CA a month ago and that will take way more than 100 years to be un-noticeable.

As far as recreational prospecting goes, i don't think there is much you can do to make a real permanent environmental impact. Anything done with picks and shovels will disappear pretty quickly. Commercial mining is a whole other ball of wax.

The way they put that video together with the past and then from the same angle or spot as it is today is amazing....

I'm sad when I think about how rough life was back then compared to now.....then you walked or rode a horse or

drove a wagon every where you went....no fast foods, all home cooking....no air-conditioning you had screens over the

doors and windows so you could get what breeze there might be and at the same time keep the flies out....

The milk came direct from the cow(s)....you could trade/barter milk, eggs, butter, hot bread, lye soap, and back breaking

work for pork or any of the other farm products....

For most folks 10-12 hour days of work for $2.00 a month....times were lean and mean....all necessities were scarse....

in the video how many fat people did you see in the pics?

Back then everyone worked or you starved...no welfare....most folks were honest and a mans word was better than

money or a contract....everybody in a community knew who you couldn't trust...they called them "shifty"....

When war broke out many entire towns and communities of men volunteered to fight...leaving the women mostly alone

to fend for the family....and they did it too!!

My grand-pa was a carpenter...a house he built in the 1800's in Eastern Okla. is still standing and being lived in...not a

nail in the construction...holes were drilled with a "brace & bit" and a wood dowel was drove in the hole...now and then

my dad would make a comment about the "good ole days" and my grand-pa always corrected him by saying "those

were not good days back then"...dad never argued back...

Maybe in 2111 somebody will make a video...different technology than now....and people will realize that our generation

has seen more changes, mostly for the better, than any other generation of mankind....

Maybe some nut job sitting in Brazil will look at the video and wonder aloud "how did they screw it up so bad and

did you see all those fat slobs"?

now and then my dad would make a comment about the "good ole days" and my grand-pa always corrected him by saying "those

were not good days back then"...dad never argued back...

I remember sitting with my grandfather in the house he built in 1930. He had a microwave at that time, a satellite dish, oil heat upgraded from wood then coal, a cistern, not city water but running water in the house and as of 1971 indoor plumbing. I was reading mother earth news and he asked what it was about. I told him it was a bunch of younger people looking for the simpler life. He said there was no such thing and to enjoy the modern comforts. The guy has a point.

WOW, What an incredible presentation , thanks much for sharing. Funny how Nature takes back what was her's to begin with.

Good video...worth waitin for it to load :brows:

Same is true up north, i've been through places that were large towns back in the day..... mother nature has swallowed it all. Nothing but tundra where thousands of folks sweated and died.

Wonderful video, thanks for sharing that with us. Awesome music, too.

You did an incredible job of finding the same spot to take photos as the old ones were taken. I can't imagine how much time and work that had to take. Bet it was a ball, though.

Sure puts to rest the myth of mining destroying nature and nature will never recover from it.