Nugget Shooter Forums

Coil size

YellowFever

The choice of coil size is determined by the terrain and gold size targeted. A 24" coil would be useless in an area of heavy cover and big rocks just like a 8' coil would be wrong for deep gold.

So match the coil to the location and targeted gold size.

• Like 1

Yellowfever what Chris says is 100% correct....I've had two of the Coiltek UFO's for several years and I first

used them on a GP Extreme...since on the GP3000...GP3500 and GPX 4000...those coils work on all of them...

my first use of the UFO was on the Extreme behind a dozer push...the dozer had already pushed down about four

feet and I was finding nuggets with every push....then I got a real weak signal and started to dig...at just over three feet out popped a 180 gram pure nugget....so before the push started that nugget was down about 7 feet....

Then after taking a rest from the digging I went about another 6-8 feet and got another weak signal....this time I brought the dozer over to do the digging...again at around three feet out came a 182 gram nugget....

The ranch owner was standing there about to wet his pants and grabbed both of the nuggets and we never did see them again...and they weren't included in the split at the end of the week either....

So like Chris says their good on extremely clean ground or behind a tractor push....and GO SLOW....

One other thing...be sure to use a Hip-Stick or that UFO will kill your arm and shoulder.....

I do understand that you cant use a large coil in a place that it wont fit betwen the larger rocks and that you wont get the deepth from a small coil.

garimpo that is a very good info about your use of that coil! real bummer that you didn't get to keep the nuggets :(

here is what im thinking about:

6" or 8" for a sniffer coil

the 11" mono for genral use

a 12x18.5 mono

and a large 24" mono for deep gold

I am just wanting to get a good balance of coils to use in any situation that could come up. and wondering what others are using in Arizona.

I do understand that you cant use a large coil in a place that it wont fit betwen the larger rocks and that you wont get the deepth from a small coil.

garimpo that is a very good info about your use of that coil! real bummer that you didn't get to keep the nuggets :(

here is what im thinking about:

6" or 8" for a sniffer coil

the 11" mono for genral use

a 12x18.5 mono

and a large 24" mono for deep gold

I am just wanting to get a good balance of coils to use in any situation that could come up. and wondering what others are using in Arizona.

If you are going to have the 24 inch mono were it me I would opt for a 12 x 15 Commander Mono instead of a 12 x 18... :idunno:

thanks for the input guys! I will be looking at the 12x15 mono commander.

I am looking at a 24" UFO its the 12"x24" for the large coil because of the smaller price tag i have a line on one for $395

my question is will i be better to get a 14"x12" Goldstalker for $550 or to save the cash and get the UFO?

Yellowfever ask yourself these questions....how many time are you going to be able to use those GP Extremes?

You said this winter...is that all and then it's over?....how many times are you going to go out beeping??

Are you going for a particular area where you know large deep nuggets have come out of before?

Is the area clean of brush and rocks? Will you be able to do a tractor scrape?

These big coils are specality coils that you can only use maybe 5% of the time....

If your able to hunt a large area for many days or weeks in all types of terrain then your better off buying a

coil that you can use 95% of the time and will still go down 3' or so on big nuggets....if I were you I would be

talking to Bill Southern about a 12x15 mono Commander at his rock bottom price....then when you find some

descent nuggets that would be the time to buy a big boy....yours will probably still be there for sale not that

many folks want those are breakers (remember I have two of them) :twocents: