Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX-5000 depth

Lve2fsh

I was wondering if you were hunting at gold basin with a GPX 5000 how deep do you think a 1 gram nugget can be found?

I'm just learning this machine and so far at 6 inches I cannot hear a 1 gram nugget with the machine on general or deep. I don't know what kind of depth I should expect for this size gold. I have everything at the factory settings until I get a little wiser.

Thanks

Depending on the nugget meaning if solid or slightly porous between 10 and 14 inches... A solid slug obviously on the deeper end of that estimate.....

Coil choice is also a factor and an 8 to 11 inch coil will hear smaller gold deeper than a large coil will and visa-versa.

There are other factors that will affect that as well including coil type and settings, but this would be average I would say.

I find the Minelab Commander coils to be the the most stable and sensitive all around for me so far after trying several different brands with the GPX 5000. Better stability and sensitivity equal more gold and the 5000 performs at it's best using Minelab coils in my opinion.

Hi Lve2fsh,

I just came back from gold basin today, like Bill said there are different factors, I like to keep my gpx5000 in sens extra, or smooth, and the commander coil is my main coil I use. Had to leave a little early as the storms were coming through, and tons of lighting and thunder. Also I keep my rx gain a little high, but that also depends on the interference.

Dave

Thanks Guys

I am using the 11 DD commander right now with the set up on page one of the manual. Have tried out the general and the deep with the 1 gram piece that I won at the grand opening of the minelab training center. Now to just find my own gold and I'll be happy. Will be at the GSSN claims next saturday to wear myself out.

Greg

Howdy Greg,

I would suggest the 11 inch mono and try the settings Dave mentioned. The 11 inch Commander Mono is BY FAR my favorite all purpose coil.

For small stuff the 8 inch Commander Mono is fricking deadly!

And for depth on larger gold while still retaining mucho sensitivity the 15 x 12 Mono is a good choice.

Gregg you need to be running in the fine gold setting,You also have to groung balance correctly and offten,Fine Gold timming and the stock mono should hear that nugget a lot deeper remember less gain and smooth is better than anything, Do not need to confuse the machine more than you are LOL, .

Greg ... Sorry to hear the ex-wife was a nag ... but now that you are rid of her go out and get the cherry broken on the GPX5000 ... now as far as meeting ... well that will happen soon! Looking forward to it ... promise not to nag but no promise not to do a little friendly ragging on you as that is in my nature! :)

Mike F

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I found a .1 gram piece at gold basin, between 1 and 2 inches down. Almost thru it back to grow up some more. So many small pieces of wire that I was getting tired of digging them up. No lead, no brass, no pull tabs just wire. Apparently the detector works, as you guys keep telling me I just need to get it over some gold.

post-1061-0-24002900-1320007632_thumb.jp