Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey!

Nugget Shooter

It was nice enough out this morning to get out for a hunt, but I was busy in the store as well for a change. I am going out in the morning by gosh if I am not to tired after taking the kids to the Diamondbacks game tonight.

Finally we have fall waiting just over the next hill, an outing coming up, and gold prices that are insane. Should be an interesting season for sure :head:

Let's hope that they are the ONLY diamondbacks you see this week end.

Caught one in the yard this morning and took it several miles into no mans land so it could stake some new territory..... 2 last week and also relocated.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Caught one in the yard this morning and took it several miles into no mans land so it could stake some new territory..... 2 last week and also relocated.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Were the ones you caught ball players or snakes???? :shrug: :lol: :lol:

Did you relocate them to your favorite secret patch too keep out highgraders!!! :thumbsupanim :thumbsupanim

All joking aside I hope you find some nice nuggets, GOOD LUCK!!

I also relocated all snakes, I'm the neighborhood snakeman, most all of my neighbors call me when they find a snake in their yard, most don't know the difference between a poisonous snake and harmless snake, they just want it gone, I have gotten most of them to stop killing the snakes and too call me!!

Skip

Hey Bill since you have to stay around the house today maybe you can give this Yankee (NOT NY Yankee :( ... New Hampshire Yankee! :) ) a few tips on catching the the buzztails live and relocating them. What is your method of capture and what do you transport them in? I found a 3 1/2 foot gopher snake (aka King Snake as some call them) in my garage last night ... let him be as he likes my pack rats and an occasional rattlesnake meal. I had a 3' DB rattler a few weeks ago in the dogs excercise area. It was so agressive I thought at first it was a Mohave but after a quick look at the stripes on his tail determined it was a DB. Anyway unfortunately I ended up killing him ... would have much rather have relocated him to a more friendly place for him. Do you use snake tongs or a loop pole or ...?

Thanks ... Mike

Hey Bill!

Took the Grandkids with us to Danby Dry lake to hunt meteorites! They had a ball out there with us working the magnet sticks and picking up rocks! The young one ran and ran and ran until he realized he was in the middle of nowhere all by himself. He learned a good lesson that day! When we got them back in the vehicle to return home, both fell asleep within 5 minutes.

It was a different kind of hunt but fun all the same!

Jim

Hey Bill since you have to stay around the house today maybe you can give this Yankee (NOT NY Yankee :( ... New Hampshire Yankee! :) ) a few tips on catching the the buzztails live and relocating them. What is your method of capture and what do you transport them in? I found a 3 1/2 foot gopher snake (aka King Snake as some call them) in my garage last night ... let him be as he likes my pack rats and an occasional rattlesnake meal. I had a 3' DB rattler a few weeks ago in the dogs excercise area. It was so agressive I thought at first it was a Mohave but after a quick look at the stripes on his tail determined it was a DB. Anyway unfortunately I ended up killing him ... would have much rather have relocated him to a more friendly place for him. Do you use snake tongs or a loop pole or ...?

Thanks ... Mike

I use a modified 60" Gentle Giant Snake tong and a 36" snake hook, both from Tongs.com. I use to have a 5 gallon bucket hinged top and used a 5 gallon bucket to transport. I lost the top somewhere, but that seemed to work the best for me.

Have not had to catch one in a few years.

Jim

Thanks ... Mike

Hi Mike,

Snake stick and 2 five gallon buckets is how I do it, catch snake, drop that sucker in bucket and drop other bucket on top. The confined area is the right size and will not harm the snake and it is off to the desert to release. Just separate buckets and dump it out at release site.

Thanks Bill and Jim ... sounds all too easy! I like the bucket in the bucket idea. Guess I'll get set of tongs and maybe even a hook ... right now all I use to manipulate any snake, venomous or not, is a 5 foot length of closet pole I removed from the bedroom closet when I remodeled that room.

Just can't see a good reason for killing more of the rattlers if they can be easily relocated.

Mike F

Thanks Bill and Jim ... sounds all too easy! I like the bucket in the bucket idea. Guess I'll get set of tongs and maybe even a hook ... right now all I use to manipulate any snake, venomous or not, is a 5 foot length of closet pole I removed from the bedroom closet when I remodeled that room.

Just can't see a good reason for killing more of the rattlers if they can be easily relocated.

Mike F

Good on ya Mike, too many folks seem just to want all snakes dead. If that happened they would then wonder where all the rodents came from.....

Mike,

I have a black square bucket with a snap on lid with few holes for air that I use to catch snakes in, I lay the bucket on it side near the snake and I just nudge them a little with a stick and they almost always make a beeline for the bucket, a snake will go to the black bucket as if it were a hole in the ground to escape any threat, the black color is like a magnet to a snake they see it as a safe haven, I don't like to stress snakes out when I catch them so I don't use tongs that will squeeze them, but anyway you can catch them without harming them is better than a death sentence.

Most don't understand or think about what this world would be like if you get rid of the natural rodent control, and then they will be screaming about mice and rats in their yard/home.

Skip

Mike- It seems like I never have a hook when I need to re-locate one. I've used a rake or shovel and a bucket with a lid for years. Some of the bigger 5-6 foot coontails won't fit in a 5 gal bucket.So I have a storage tote with a lid for them. I used to just pick them up by the tail but had a close call and stopped that method. This place would be over run like in the large cities New York , LA etc. if we killed them all. Ever notice you never see a Diamondback in the big cities?? Dave

I don't even need a bucket or a snake hook I use a forked stick and pin their head to the ground and take a peice of fishing line and tie their mouth shut just like you see them do on Tv with the gators and if you don't have any string duct tape works just as good <__ -then I release them from the forked stick pick them up and hang them on my shoulder-go for a ride and relocate them in one of my patches---it helps keep people away--- :thumbsupanim :lol: Notttttttttttttt---all joking aside I never kill any snakes-hell I hardly ever see any :nutty: Mike C... :ph34r2:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have to agree about keeping a few around the area. I have a couple large gopher snakes (Kings) around the house that I feed once in awhile when I trap a mouse. No I don't hand feed them to the snake I just leave the body near where I last saw the snake. It is usually gone after a few hours and certainly over night. I had the 3 labs innoculated against rattlesnake venon so if by chance they do get struck by other than a mohave they have a better recovery. It isn't cheap to do but they are like kids to me ... maybe better! Sorry Jay or Eric if you read this ... you guys are special to me too! :)

With all the great ideas there should not be any more rattlesnake mortality around here unless it is by one of the gopher snakes. After all rattlesnake is on the gopher snakes menu.

Mike F

Hello Mike. Besides the preventitive medicine, there are people out there that train dogs to avoid snakes through sight, sound, and smell. We had our Bichon (Dog) in the program, and it works great.

Check with your local Humane Society. That's who sponsored the training in our area.

Patrick.....

Take a 5 gal bucket and cut a square hole in the lid. Now pop rivet a piece of stiff plastic on the bottom of the lid a little bigger than the hole. Only pop rivet it on one side. Presto! A one way door. Drop the snake on the square "door and it flaps down and lets the snake fall into the bucket. But it snaps back up and the snake can't get out.

Now get a 5 foot piece of 1/2" EMT conduit. Put a hole on one end and tie 6 feet of #12 stranded electrical wire to it. Run the loose end of the wire down inside the EMT and you have a nifty "noose". Some guys put a 6 inch piece of clear tubing around the wire for extra padding. Just slip it over his head and pull the wire.

This is a fantastic setup to relocate all sorts of snakes. Even those "Bull Snakes" (Great Plains Gopher Snake) will nail you and leave a nasty bite if you handle them. The pole and bucket is what they used at the NASA facility to capture and relocate them and I thought it was the best tools that I have seen for the job.

Patrick ... The snake training is the next step on the program for sure. e tried to get into a program a month or so ago but it was filled ... very popular program I am finding. I think Sportsman's warehouse down in Phoenix is doing one early next month. May try to get into that one if I can't do one locally.

Bob ... First time I have heard them referred to as "Bull" snakes bt the name sure fits as they really are the 'Bully' of the field. They can be somewhat aggressive if they are harassed at all ... they have a bit of a short temper. Call them Bull or King or as I know them Gopher snakes they are good to have around and I would encourage them to stay around if I could. All rattlers will be captured and relocated from this point on.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It has been very helpful info for me ... and maybe for others who just didn't comfortable asking.

Mike F