Nugget Shooter Forums

While perusing the local Craigslist ads this afternoon, I stumbled upon a listing for a Minelab SD2200D, with many extras, for $300. It's DOA though, won't do anything. The guy tried to power it up after it had been in storage for a year, and it was dead. He ordered a brand new battery for it, and when that didn't fix it he decided to cut his losses and get rid of it. I figured it was worth the risk, as I am very skilled at troubleshooting and repairing electronics.

The guy that I bought it from told me that he once found a horseshoe at 4'. Hopefully, I'll find some nuggets with it, if I can fix it.

Rick

Boy wish I could get my paws on something like that.

Minelab sprayed conforment paint on there boards making working on them sorta challenging.

Homefire he just has to hope its not in the circuitboard or main component.

I'd be worried about getting that fixed at minimal cost if at all possible.

It will be interesting to hear the results of this.

Boy wish I could get my paws on something like that.

Minelab sprayed conforment paint on there boards making working on them sorta challenging.

I think it depends on whether it was the "old" 2100 or the "new" 2100. I don't think the new ones had the thick paint. I have also heard that if you soak the board in citrusolv that the paint comes right off and allows you easy access. That is just something I heard and I dont know it from experience....I dont work on electronic stuff I just break it.

One thing I DO know is that the SD detectors were super hot on iron and will find a target a lot deeper than you want to dig. If you can get the thing up and running it will find all but the tiniest targets. It will go a lot smaller than you would expect a PI to go too. I think my smallest target was a gold flake about .5 gr and the deepest was an aprox. 1 lb. Glorieta at about 20" or so. The iron was loud and clear...no problem! The gold was audible at an inch or so below the surface. Not too shabby for a cheap machine!

I think it depends on whether it was the "old" 2100 or the "new" 2100. I don't hink the new ones had the thick paint. I have also heard that if you soak the board in citrusolv that the paint comes right off and allows you easy access. That is just something I heard and I dont know it form experience. I dont work on electronic stuff I just break it.

YEAH RICK, Is it a green box 2200D or blue box 2200v2 ?????

My guess is "green"

I would start by disconnecting all connectors, inspecting them for crud, clean them with Iso Alcohol 99%.

Inspect all wires for Rat chews.

If it does not power up in any way, it's battery related.

Check the Battery Carrier and or Connectors.

I think this could be a easy find.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4056/4901-0042-1.2%20Inst%20Manual%20SD2200v2%20Website.pdf

WOO HOO! It was just the headphones! Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm up and running now. Once I switched out the headphones it came to life. I must say though, I'm going to look at doing something different for batteries. Bob, I read in an old thread that you improvised Dewalt batteries for yours, could you elaborate, or even post a picture?

Rick

Edit: Frank, it's the green one.

There ya Go!

The batteries is just a matter of Matting the batteries to a wire going to the detector.

I have gutted a old drill for the Battery Connector doing the same on home project detectors.

WOO HOO! It was just the headphones! Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm up and running now. Once I switched out the headphones it came to life. I must say though, I'm going to look at doing something different for batteries. Bob, I read in an old thread that you improvised Dewalt batteries for yours, could you elaborate, or even post a picture?

Rick

Edit: Frank, it's the green one.

My Minelab setup is long gone but it was simply a matter of regulating an 18V dewalt LI battery. I had a friend take apart a charger for the "cradle" and install a couple of small components he bought from Radio Shack for just a few dollars. It looked just like the little "resistors" under the cap of the dome top battery.That made the 18V into the 7.3 volt (i think) that optimizes the 2100. So if you are familiar with electronics I would imagine that you could improvise something very similar.

The 18V dewalt "Xtend" Li batteries lasted about twice as long as the Sony camcorder batteries that come with a "Pocket Racket" battery system. The chargers are MUCH better quality and so are the batteries. Cheaper too! I used a curly cord and put the batteries in my backpack with my control box and that made the heavy Minelab weigh no more than a GBII. I actually used an old charger and spare batteries from my drill motor. The 12V. charger works a lot better than the "Pocket Racket" charger on 12V. And the same battery that powers the detector can also be used in a drill, a saw, a flashlight, a radio, and all the other neat accessories offered by Dewalt.

Hope that these suggestions help! Good luck!

Hey, if'n you are interested in some good coils for that machine I still have a few. I thought i might get another Minelab PI but I think that I have decided to go with a Lorenz Deep Max or a Pulse Star. I don't think the coils will work on the Lorenz or Pulse Star. I have a Joey, a 14" open loop Coiltek, and a stock 11" that came with the machine. All except the 14" have never been used. If you are interested just PM me. I also have a stock battery, a stock charger, some cables and some other stuff that came with the detector that the buyer didn't want. I believe I even have a "Pocket Racket" with a few of the little batteries and a charger or two laying around. If'n you need any of this stuff let me know.

My Minelab setup is long gone but it was simply a matter of regulating an 18V dewalt LI battery. I had a friend take apart a charger for the "cradle" and install a couple of small components he bought from Radio Shack for just a few dollars. It looked just like the little "resistors" under the cap of the dome top battery.That made the 18V into the 7.3 volt (i think) that optimizes the 2100. So if you are familiar with electronics I would imagine that you could improvise something very similar.

The 18V dewalt "Xtend" Li batteries lasted about twice as long as the Sony camcorder batteries that come with a "Pocket Racket" battery system. The chargers are MUCH better quality and so are the batteries. Cheaper too! I used a curly cord and put the batteries in my backpack with my control box and that made the heavy Minelab weigh no more than a GBII. I actually used an old charger and spare batteries from my drill motor. The 12V. charger works a lot better than the "Pocket Racket" charger on 12V. And the same battery that powers the detector can also be used in a drill, a saw, a flashlight, a radio, and all the other neat accessories offered by Dewalt.

Hope that these suggestions help! Good luck!

Hey, if'n you are interested in some good coils for that machine I still have a few. I thought i might get another Minelab PI but I think that I have decided to go with a Lorenz Deep Max or a Pulse Star. I don't think the coils will work on the Lorenz or Pulse Star. I have a Joey, a 14" open loop Coiltek, and a stock 11" that came with the machine. All except the 14" have never been used. If you are interested just PM me. I also have a stock battery, a stock charger, some cables and some other stuff that came with the detector that the buyer didn't want. I believe I even have a "Pocket Racket" with a few of the little batteries and a charger or two laying around. If'n you need any of this stuff let me know.

Hey Bob,

I'll get back to you about the coils after I pay some bills and see what's left. I also have a good idea for a different battery system, if it works I'll post it in the DIY section.

After getting this thing to work, I was looking at the old threads in the "Tech Tips" section, and came across the thread where Bill mentioned the false signals that can occur when you have the cable wound around the lower shaft loosely. I've always had that falsing problem with my Sovereign with the slightest bump of the coil, and when I looked at it, sure enough, that's how the cable was done. This SD is done up the way Bill described, with the lower part of the cable secured straight to the lower shaft with Velcro. (Maybe Bill originally sold it years ago.) The Velcro is shot, I'll get enough to redo the SD and the Sovereign too. I love the info on these forums.

I'm off next week, I am definitely going to take this thing out and play with it, exactly where I don't know. Yesterday I went out to sample an area where someone had told me there was some gold, but I didn't find a single flake. Since I don't have any pictures of gold to post, I'll post a picture of my smokin' deal instead.

6105422444_7ef1dd233f_b.jpg

Minelab SD220D by ax57, on Flickr

Sweet! Hey see how the cord it stretched out and the coils are pooped? (power cord) Once they get like that they are close to giving you fits when the wires fray inside. Perhaps pick up a new power cord to have as backup...

Have fun and good hunting!

Thats kinda how I got my first SD, Garage sale and it had a bad coil took me a year to figure it out. I just thought it was a noisy SOB.

Mine was $50 :)

Chris,

You are the king of the smokin' deals then. Remember when you recommended an Excelerator coil for my Sovereign? I came across one on eBay a few days ago and ordered it. I'll be keeping the Sovereign, I couldn't believe what I was finding with that thing at Lynx Creek with the stock coil. It'll be fun to try it out with the Excelerator, and with the coil cable properly secured.

Rick

RIck,

The Sov is a great detector. That 5' coil will really help weed out the good targets.

One trick in a gold bearing drainage is to find the areas where the trash it thickest and dig all the targets.

Any sane detectorist runs from challenges like that, often times in all that rubbish hides a nice nugget or two.

Don,

Do you need a meter for your Sov? ( I only have meters for the old/first Sov,s)

Another sleeper ML VLF is the Sterling. If you ever have the chance to pick one up do it.

Hot on silver and will hit on sub gram gold. Perfect unit for a youngster.

post-861-0-82752900-1315063953_thumb.jpg

Good morning Chris....thanks about the Sov. meter but I have the original and also the one put out by Sunray....one day hope

to get about 2500 miles NE of here to do some virgin beach hunting....

Funny you should mention the Sterling....just a couple of weeks ago I was trying to think of that name....I would probably buy

one if the price was good since my grand-son here is 8 years old and goes with me now and then....was there two versions

of the Sterling? Seems like one was blue and one was green....

Edit: now the grey matter just kicked in....the other one was the Musketeer...don't remember

the difference in the two machines....

The Musky is the relic version. Not sure what the differences are.

What makes them great for kids is the light weight and fast recovery.

What about beach hunting In Brazil? At least there would be some great views.

Your wouldn't believe the distractions on the beach...ever see "floss" bikinis??? By the 100's???

And nobody here detects the beaches....1000's of miles of resort beaches and all virgin(beaches)....