Nugget Shooter Forums

New Meteor Over Peru

Besides by looking at it?

It was discussed on the MetList for one, but you can tell just from the video - it's not what a meteor looks like.

I suppose to an expert like you it may be obvious. I was hoping that you would share some of your knowledge and tell us how this object differs from a "real" bolide.

Can you discuss any details why you dont feel this is a meteor?

I think the consensus from most of the other forums is that this is just a plane flying by. If you look really hard at it, that is very likely what it is.

Without anything else in the camera's view, hard to gauge speed. All I can tell it that it is fast enough to make a con trial and appears way too slow to be a meteoroid or asteroid. To me, it does not appear to be falling, but rather flying.

The sun is hitting it just right!

Jim

I think the consensus from most of the other forums is that this is just a plane flying by. If you look really hard at it, that is very likely what it is.

Without anything else in the camera's view, hard to gauge speed. All I can tell it that it is fast enough to make a con trial and appears way too slow to be a meteoroid or asteroid. To me, it does not appear to be falling, but rather flying.

The sun is hitting it just right!

Jim

Hmmm...Interesting. I will have to look at it again.

The videos that I have seen (several) are about 1-2 seconds replayed back to back in a loop. The link at the top of this thread is a loop. I am not sure that there is any video that I have seen that you could estimate a duration.

Contrails develop well behind an aircraft. Not surrounding the aircraft. If you look at the video you can clearly see the vapor boiling out of whatever is going through the air. I dont know schitt about it but it certainly does not look like an airplane to me. I have never seen a contrail billowing out and obscuring the actual aircraft before.

It is an interesting debate anyhow. I have no idea what it is but I dont think it is a jet airliner.

I suppose to an expert like you it may be obvious. I was hoping that you would share some of your knowledge and tell us how this object differs from a "real" bolide.

Can you discuss any details why you dont feel this is a meteor?

Hey, Bob. I'm by no means an expert, just a well-educated and experienced enthusiast! :) There's really no details I can share with you other than experience and "it's just not what a meteor looks like". It's a lot like id'ing a meteorwrong from a picture right away. After 25 years in the hobby you can spot the rights from wrongs fairly quickly, bolides included.

The Teton bolide is as close an example I can think of of a real meteor that looks similar to the Peru footage, but even watching that you can pick out several differences quite quickly.

The Peru thing could be a number of man-made objects, not necessarily a plane, but if I were a betting man I'd wager heavily that it's not a meteor.

Well, what ever it is, if it was going down and does not land in the water, we may learn what it was!

There is another video on Youtube where the guy is filming out of his car window and he is at a different angle.

That video is interesting to see!

Jim

Well, what ever it is, if it was going down and does not land in the water, we may learn what it was!

There is another video on Youtube where the guy is filming out of his car window and he is at a different angle.

That video is interesting to see!

Jim

Jim, do you mean this one? It looks to me like a rocket booster or external fuel tank, or something like that. That guy has a heck of a zoom!

Jim, do you mean this one? It looks to me like a rocket booster or external fuel tank, or something like that. That guy has a heck of a zoom!

Yep! That is the one! Man, I wished he would have held it where you could see the trail for a bit! Sure looks like flames! Whatever it is, I think it has wings...or maybe huge solar panel arrays???? I don't have a clue!

I wonder if we will ever hear anything further???

Jim

Yep! That is the one! Man, I wished he would have held it where you could see the trail for a bit! Sure looks like flames! Whatever it is, I think it has wings...or maybe huge solar panel arrays???? I don't have a clue!

I wonder if we will ever hear anything further???

Jim

So I was browsing through the related videos and I see this…

MEXICO - Ufo o Meteorito - Cuernavaca - 29 Junio 2011 2 meses antes que CUSCO

(MEXICO- U.F.O or Meteorite – Cuernevaca – 29 June 2011 2 months before Cusco event.)

Same video. The speaker sounds Mexican and not South American. From that angle it is certainly not a meteorite. It is flying. So it is a video of a UFO but not a meteorite.

Somebody shot a missile or is experimenting with a rocket engine. That is a propelled machine of some sort that is using the thrust of direct combustion (such as a solid rocket booster or hydrazine engine) rather than a jet engine. It isn’t a contrail. It is combustion exhaust.

A missile drone propelled with Nike AJAX looks just like that going through the air but it does not fly nearly that high. The dual plume and everything. I bet that is a hybrid weapons platform of some kind. A cheap ICBM.

And I agree 100% that it is not a meteorite.

The countries near the equator are home to many launch experiments. In the 90’s NASA had a program in Brazil and was planning to move much of our launches there. It is much less expensive to penetrate the atmosphere at the equator. Our facility blew up on the first launch and killed a whole bunch of people. The project was immediately cancelled.

Many countries launch in various parts of South America. And they do all sorts of “other” tests with missiles and rockets with military purposes as we also do. Peru is ideal for certain types of launches because of the altitude. Most of the “cheapie” projects done by other countries involve a launch from a high flying airplane where the vehicle is released at altitude and maneuvered from there. I would bet the farm that is some sort of experiment from a facility near Cuzco, Peru.

Not plane wreckage, or train wreckage either, SPACE Wreckage, some kind of old school satallite, looked like a cross tween a bus and a kelvinator refrigerator whith a buch of wires stickin out of the door, and a couple solar panels. It ran out of juice or they just shut it off and let it fall, it's got a 70% chance of fallin over water, but not this time, apparently.

What the....I've been away from the site for less than a month, what happened since? What's with the new look? It looks very different, wow....Like am I on nuggetshooter.com or not?! :hmmmmm:

I guess the website got a facelift.....And a new meteor over Peru. The first one in Carancas hit the ground hard, the pieces are fragile and very expensive, minerals there let alone meteorites are very expensive in Peru, tourists there are really taken for a ride!