Nugget Shooter Forums

NewB Here, Looking for Info About Kyburz

goodlookin1

Hello everyone,

I am an extreme newbie to Gold panning. I've been reading up on it for a few weeks and I cant seem to find the information I am looking for (prospectors seem reluctant to give info sometimes on the "where" part, understandably). I'm mainly looking to do this for fun and not doing this as a full time job or anything.

Anyway, my family owns a cabin right on the American River in Kyburz, CA. Elevation is right about 4200-4300 ft or so. Seems a little high to be an ideal gold panning area, but I guess you never know until you try, right? My thought was, "well, the Placer deposits down lower have got to come from somewhere, so maybe it starts up here". My question is, would I be wasting my time up there? Are there claims that I should worry about? I've never seen any markers or anything, but I really havent been that observant, nor was I specifically looking for them.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Start taking samples and that will tell you if its worth your time, check on minecache, a gooogle earth program that marks past /present producers in your area.Also the B.L.M. offers maps that are available for $15.00 with claims . Good luck, have fun, make $..... Bill. A.K.A. yuccagold!

Thanks YuccaGold, very helpful with the minecache info! I checked it out and it appears that there are no active gold claims anywhere near the family cabin......I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I guess we'll see!

Quick question: How large are gold claims? Are they measured in feet? Acres? How do I know if I'm stepping into restricted panning territory? I'm guessing it would have to be clearly marked out, otherwise it's not really fair at all. I'm certainly not looking to step on anyone's toes if I get adventurous...

There might be gold up there but generally I dont think its a well mined area. This usually meens not a lot of gold. Gold claims run 20 acres a person up to 8 people for a total of 160 acres.

If your new I suggest going to the American river down at colfax or below Auburn. This is where I learned to pan 22 years ago! You will get gold for sure, little guys but still its gold anyway you look at it.

No active claims is probably a bad thing too.

Come down 50 to Hiway 49 and go north or south. Any ravine or creek will produce gold. Confluence at Auburn (North and Middle forks of the American) is a good spot as well. You can pan in Coloma, at the God Discovery Park. Hands and pans only.

Quick question for those who use MineCache in google maps: I checked the option "BLM Mine Claim Records - Active", and it actually shows 2 square patches right on the river where our cabin is. Is this essentially a gold claim, so that I cant pan at the river? There is another option in Google Earth for MineCache, called "All Gold Claims", and when checked, nothing close comes up. What is the difference between the two options, and can I legally (and safely) pan in the "active mine" section?

Thanks

Active no panning. You should look the claims up in the LR2000 to see what sections are claimed. Could be some sections still open. MineCache shows the whole section.

My apologies....I am a noob at this. By "active no panning", you mean that on an active mine claim (note: not "gold claim") I am not allowed to pan?

In any case, I looked up the LR2000 serial number in question and found that it was abandoned as of 9/1/2010 and was "forfeited" on 6/17/10. Current status is "CLOSED". It sounds to me like it is open for the taking (if there's anything to take!)

Am I right about this?

Thanks.

My apologies....I am a noob at this. By "active no panning", you mean that on an active mine claim (note: not "gold claim") I am not allowed to pan?

In any case, I looked up the LR2000 serial number in question and found that it was abandoned as of 9/1/2010 and was "forfeited" on 6/17/10. Current status is "CLOSED". It sounds to me like it is open for the taking (if there's anything to take!)

Am I right about this?

Thanks.

LR2000 is not entirely up to date, check with the county in person for real time info, and to see if it is indeed up for grabs.

Skip

If the area is claimed your not suppose to pan or mine of any kind on that land unless you have permission from the claim owner. Thats what they mean by active no panning.

They probably wouldn`t say anything if your just panning. I am pretty easy going if i see someone on one of my claims at least. I claimed the land so i just had a spot i could go without any problems. To me its the guys attitude that predicts if i allow him to work there. Theres a road next to one of my claims that you can just park next to the water. i am sure people pan there but have never seen anybody so far. Hard to keep tabs all the time on the claim but i dont lose sleep over it either.

I dont work it that much but theres good gold there.

• 5 months later...

So, what was the outcome of this thread?

Is there gold to be found in or near Kyburz?

I'm curious because I'm going panning this weekend and would like to drive the shortest possible distance (I'm in tahoe, and Kyburz is closer than Coloma). I think that there should be gold in the American river, near Kybur;, based on my theory that manmade dams stop gold from traveling further downriver. But, I am a newbie and would like some reassurance before I spend all weekend testing this theory.