Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terry Soloman

New York Beach Claim Paying Off..

Here are a few more "nuggets" from my New York beach prospecting efforts.

post-22152-0-62308700-1313587527_thumb.j

I bet there is more gold on that beach than in most placers in Arizona. People lose more than they find. And you will find diamonds, rubies and emeralds too. Something that you WONT find in any placer.

I honestly feel that there are a lot more treasures being created in today's world than are being found. The riches are not out in the gold fields any more but in shopping malls, on beaches, and in the cracks of the pavement.

I can search for a very long time and not find a 1/2 ounce nugget, but I can do many, many times more than that in the right spot treasure hunting. I bet that if you stay with that you will find a spot where you can do $500 days with regularity. When you find a real good find it will be worth more than the "real good finds' in the gold fields and those "real good finds" will come more often too.

Keep a doin' it Terry! Sooner or later you will hit the jackpot under some bridge or a spot on that beach. That is where the big time finds are being made today!

Terry,

Congratulations on the addition to your collection of gold. Looks like your finding more gold on the beaches than on the gold fields.

wonderer

Good Finds Terry Congrats

I agree with Bedrock, one diamond ring could be worth a hell of a lot more than a half dozen nuggets which took quite a bit of hunting and digging for...dont get me wrong...both are fun to hunt !! but I prefer the more valuable targets. Bob you shaved your beard now you look like your in your 20's have you found.....the fountain ?? :thumbsupanim

Glad to see all that gold from the beach coming your way Terry....can you say Rolex??? Bet there's one there just

waiting for you to rescue it....good luck

So far, I have about 175-hours or so on the Sand Shark headphones, and I have been very lucky! You dig about the same amount of garbage targets - I count coins as garbage targets, as you do out behind Rich Hill. Instead of bullets, you dig lead sinkers, fishhooks, little corroded pieces of iron, spoons, pulltabs...

I drive 54-miles one way (108-miles RT), plus pay $6.50 each way (Whitestone Bridge toll to Long Island), then $8.00 for parking on Long Island - Every time I go beach hunting. That works out to about $35.00 a hunt. At first, I was losing money hand over fist! Then I found a 26-gram "Cuban" gold chain (14K) in knee-deep surf at low tide on my fourth trip out!

I find a lot more silver stuff than I do gold. Plus, this is really so easy that anyone can do it! You just need attitude and a good sandscoop! What I miss, is Arizona! I miss the dust. I miss the mountains, and the serinity any time I'm willing to get in the truck and drive 15-minutes. I miss the excitement of being in a desert wash with a GPX4000 and a pistol, and just being by myself!

My family, most of my children, my grandchildren are all here on the East Coast. Life is getting in my way but, a day at the beach is still a day at the beach! Be back out there in a few weeks. Starting to get really itchy!

I agree with Bedrock, one diamond ring could be worth a hell of a lot more than a half dozen nuggets which took quite a bit of hunting and digging for...dont get me wrong...both are fun to hunt !! but I prefer the more valuable targets. Bob you shaved your beard now you look like your in your 20's have you found.....the fountain ?? :thumbsupanim

I only go to a mall once in a coon's age, and a coon lives for about four years. I was walking in that mall when I spied a sparkle in a door threshold. It was a diamond. That got me thinking...the sweeper! The little cart with the vacuum! It didn't take long for me to find the spot out back where they were dumping the thing and on my first glance I spied two tiny diamond earrings (like a baby girl's earrings at her baptism). Before it was all over I made about $500 bucks.

I recovered a FANCY diamond ring for a lady in 30 feet of water. She was letting out the anchor rope on a big boat at the lake. Had some sunscreen on her hands. It was a miracle I found it in muddy water but it was laying next to the anchor. She said it was worth $10k! So there is a constant stream of high value items being lost and a very slow trickle being found. The trick is to find the SPOT!

That photo was 5 years ago. I thank you for the 20's comment. I am 52 so that photo was at 47. I wanted ot change avatars when things got crazy with the forum and it was the only photo of myself that i have. I am generally on the other end of the camera. Maybe I ought to update to a more recent one when things calm down a little. I am just happy I am not Sarah Palin anymore...As much as I like to look at her.

So far, I have about 175-hours or so on the Sand Shark headphones, and I have been very lucky! You dig about the same amount of garbage targets - I count coins as garbage targets, as you do out behind Rich Hill. Instead of bullets, you dig lead sinkers, fishhooks, little corroded pieces of iron, spoons, pulltabs... I drive 54-miles one way (108-miles RT), plus pay $6.50 each way (Whitestone Bridge toll to Long Island), then $8.00 for parking on Long Island - Every time I go beach hunting. That works out to about $35.00 a hunt. At first, I was losing money hand over fist! Then I found a 26-gram "Cuban" gold chain (14K) in knee-deep surf at low tide on my fourth trip out! I find a lot more silver stuff than I do gold. Plus, this is really so easy that anyone can do it! You just need attitude and a good sandscoop! What I miss, is Arizona! I miss the dust. I miss the mountains, and the serinity any time I'm willing to get in the truck and drive 15-minutes. I miss the excitement of being in a desert wash with a GPX4000 and a pistol, and just being by myself! My family, most of my children, my grandchildren are all here on the East Coast. Life is getting in my way but, a day at the beach is still a day at the beach! Be back out there in a few weeks. Starting to get really itchy!

Man, you are homesick. You can take the rat out of the desert but you cant take the desert out of the rat. I know how you can smell it and feel it. You remember how the sun felt when it came over the horizon and stung into your neck. The color of the rocks. The sound of the thing all humming and buzzing.

The only thing that I am afraid of when I am gone is dying before I get back. Other than that I can stand to be away from her. Maybe 150 miles or so.

So Terry, I hope you make it back here soon. And I hope you find more gold rings than you can carry back on the airplane.

Wow Terry! You are really scoring big! Super!!

Terry I hear you about the desert but your on to a good thing....in 1992 I spent six months in Auckland, NZ and I met

a man there by the name of Carey Drucker....age 92...he lived two blocks from the beach where many of the expensive

hotels were and the tourist flocked to....he and his brother...age 94 had been working this beach for about 15 years...

and they used the Minelab Soverign detector because it would handle the salt and black sand that drove other detectors

crazy and it would still find the gold rings very deep....

Carey had a small shop in his garage where he had a jewelers buffing wheel and other equipment so he could make his

finds look like new again...he would sell off most of the junk jewelry and he made frames about 3'x3' and framed his gold

items....

His drive-way from the street to his garage was about 80 feet and it was covered with useless NZ coins that he would

just throw on the ground....the value at the time of his framed gold ring collection was over $1,000,000.00!!!

So hang in there slugger....the desert doesn't replenish itself like the beach does!!!!

Terry.... you are starting to motivate me to consider a new beach detector, although the tightwads that frequent San Diego beaches don't lose anything but crap!! I think with a little time in the field and a really good detector I could do ok, its something to ponder since I've been neglecting the beaches for some years now.

I use my Minelab and the GBII for treasure hunting and it does just fine. Probably a lot slower in a trashy area but I am getting alot of gold and silver ear wires and tiny earrings that would probably go by the wayside with other detectors.

A lot of areas are off limits to the Minelab due to electrical interfereance. The GBII is a killer though and as long as I use the tiny coil it does not drive me too crazy. It certainly is not suitable for the beach or shallow water hunting but here in the desert and mountians it works fine and dandy.

A lot of the treasure that I hunt is not detectable. Those stones that fell from settings during an extreme temperature change are the bread and butter and they dont detect. And the 2-3 pearls that were lost when the necklace broke are pennies from heaven. A carved ivory lapel pin does not beep, nor does that wooden carving of Jesus. And the boot filled with bond notes beeped from the shoe tacks but went on the trash pile. It was not until the thing rotted away during a hard winter did I notice there was some paper inside.

So dont rely on the beeper too much when treasure hunting. It is just one tool in a tool box.

TERRY your doin just fine out there in N.Y. Very nice finds with the water detector. Don't rush back to AZ. I'll take care of the summer gold here for you.

Call me CRAZY ,... but I'm packin up now for a couple days in the desert detecting. Don't need any heater, just my snake gun.

Ok thats the final straw!! Frank...you are crazy!! Must be the payment coming due on that candy apple green camero!! Cause its just freekin hot out there.

Terry I am glad to see you paying for that sand shark......

Have not seen your posts in a while.....I tesoro is down with a forum problem oh well...;.

Nice items...

I'm in Ca. May not get to drywash but hope to have my car back up in running before I haead back to NYC...

stupid Turn signal switch on my honda exploded....1986 car has a lot of miles on it...

Terry-

Should be some good detecting after this storm passes.

Steve

Wooo-Hoooo! My buddy just called me from Long Island, and everyone is safe and sound. He said the beach is totally torn up!!! If clean-up and flooding allows, I'll be out there tomorrow morning but, it is still very iffy. We have trees and powerlines down EVERYWHERE, and the flooding is very bad. At least we are safe, and there seems to be minimal property damage. We lost two trees, but they didn't hit the house. TTYL!

Terry---

I don't pay much attention to the news but it sounds like it should have been named Hurricane Hype... I did see a clip of a guardhouse on Long Island beach floating into a pier. Glad to hear you're safe with minimal damage to your property. . Hope you have the beach to yourself although I doubt very much that's going to happen...

Steve

I have relatives in Conn. and they said there was alot of damage

Good job Terry,

I hear in Florida on the beaches guys really score on the pieces of silver coinage from the galleons that sank years ago. They are probably the only ones that look forward to Hurricanes down there as they produce some great beach finds afterwards.

There was a tremendous amount of damage - all the way into the Catskill Mountains in Central New York. The beaches are still closed, and will be for at least another 24-48 hours. Lost a lot of homes in Queens and on Long Island along the North and South shores. Homes all along Long Island Sound all the way up into Conneticut were lost and damaged. Power is still out to half the state of Connecticut, and mine comes and goes here in Westchester County, NY. I did not realize the amount of water damage and flooding that did, and is still occurring - just after the storm passed, as we were relatively unscathed. Wow!

Seems like the hurricane was devastating in some places and not so much in others. Glad that you are fine and suffered no serious damage.

That beach should be GREAT after some whopper waves. I hope that you find a gold ring for every finger and every toe.