Nugget Shooter Forums

Black Widow Headphones

I am not sure if it is even possible, but maybe I am doing something wrong with these headphones. I picked up a new set of them today and tried them on my 3000. The sound was extremely low. The volume was up all the way on the detector and also all the way up on the headphones. I swung over a .45 shell casing and was barely able to hear the signal. I flipped the circuit limiter switch thinking maybe it was turned on and swung again, there was absolutely no difference in the sound/volume. Knowing that the other switch is to flip between stereo and mono, I decided to switch it anyway to see if it made a difference, and there was absolute silence. I thought, "Okay, maybe I need a bigger target" so I grabbed a beer can I saw laying in a bush and laid it on the ground. NO DIFFERENCE.

So I switched the Widows over to the X-Terra 705 and got the exact same result. I then put my stock Koss UR30 headphones back on and they were NOTICEABLY louder on both machines. The instructions are pretty basic so I don't know if there is some trick to making these things "The Loudest Headphones On The Market"? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Are you guys serious? He needs an amp to hear a friggin beer can? or even a shell casing at point blank range?

He said he switched out the Black widows for the Koss, and there was a major difference. Is the GP3000 that bad? I used my ( notoriously quiet) SD2200 for a year before I bought a signal amp, and I could hear a beer can or shell casings at major depth without an amp.....What gives? The toggles are in the wrong position or he got a bad set of headphones. Thats my story and im sticking to it :D

Seems to me a brand new set of head phones that require an amp (not included) to use are not the best deal out there. I'm just saying...

Paul

Seems to me a brand new set of head phones that require an amp (not included) to use are not the best deal out there. I'm just saying...

I've got the same headphones that I use with a TDI Pro and GMT. At 1/2 volume they're plenty loud for my ears. I'm guessing he has a jack problem. Either they're not making solid contact with the ML internals, or the jacks could have a short in them somewhere.

Okay....so here is the deal. It is NOT a bad set of headphones. I am actually a lot more hard of hearing than I thought. I had my family members try the Koss headphones and the Black Widows on both units and they said they were plenty loud enough. In fact, the wife said the Black Widows were so loud that when I swung over a quarter on the ground, it tickled her ear drum. So I will be getting an amp, and possibly in the near future, some hearing aids. Thanks to all who responded.

Okay....so here is the deal. It is NOT a bad set of headphones. I am actually a lot more hard of hearing than I thought. I had my family members try the Koss headphones and the Black Widows on both units and they said they were plenty loud enough. In fact, the wife said the Black Widows were so loud that when I swung over a quarter on the ground, it tickled her ear drum. So I will be getting an amp, and possibly in the near future, some hearing aids. Thanks to all who responded.

Kinda figured that you had some hearing loss. I have the same problem with the ears as well as the machine. Got me a "Gold Screamer" and all things are groovy.

The Minelabs are too quiet. I suppose if you are selling a machine with no speakers then why bother with an amp? The amp will allow you to hear anything that the machine will do and it is loud enough that I dont even have to put the phones on my head...just around my neck or strapped to the backpack. Without the amp I can barely hear a signal with the phones turned all the way up.

Hearing aids? There are a few that help but not when detecting. I wish you luck with that. I have never found a pair of hearing aids that actually help. they all seem to simply amplify the noise that I want to tune out.

And a little tip for those hard of hearing...If you wear some foam earplugs before you detect your ears will work better. I wear foam earplugs on the highway getting to the placer and even having coffee in camp before I detect. It definitely helps to sensitize the ears and makes the hearing better. If you are exposed to any loud noise before detecting your ears just dont receive the sounds as well. Especially with continuous noises such as highway noise or machine noise. Use the foam plugs and it will increase your hearing accuity and put more small nuggets in your poke.

My hearing sucks. All the high freq.'s are gone, I hate it,

my wife and kids have to say everything twice.

But a Goldscreamer amp I fear would make my hearing worse.

I have been told they are seriously loud and that after wearing one for detecting for a few hours,

people just say "what?" when you try to talk to them...comments?

Hearing aids? There are a few that help but not when detecting. I wish you luck with that. I have never found a pair of hearing aids that actually help. they all seem to simply amplify the noise that I want to tune out.

Bob I thought the new digital hearing aids could be programed to amplifie only the section of the audio spectrum you needed to amplifie, unlike the old style antilog ones ?

Great idea on wearing earplugs before detecting to enhance your hearing.

wonderer

Flak, I did have one of Doc's Treasure Screamer Amps for my Eureka Gold machine and that thing was pretty doggone loud. But that was fine for me because I am in the EXACT same boat as you are...high frequency hearing loss. I could turn it down when I needed to so it worked out. When I had it adjusted to Docs instructions, I could hear comfortably. Things like crickets, cicadas, smoke alarms, wife, kids, etc. I cannot hear. Okay, so MAYBE some of that is selective hearing, but you get my point :lol:

I have talked to Doc about an amp before I picked up the 3000 and he informed me that the Treasure Screamer wouldn't work with the 3000 and that I needed a Gold Screamer instead. So my intention yesterday when I drove to Vegas was to get the Black Widows and the Gold Screamer, but my lady wanted a 6" Double-D waterproof coil for her 705, and since she is the one who feeds me...guess which I picked...lol.

I did receive a call from Gary at Detector Pro today and was kinda shocked by what I was told. He said that my problem is one that he has heard of before, but not because of a defect in the phones, but because of the HF hearing loss. The output tone of the Black Widows is higher pitched than that of the Koss, so they seem quieter than the Koss because I hear low tones better than high tones. So I put the Koss back on again and immediately realized that their pitch was a lot lower than the BW's. So I am going to try to turn the tone control all the way down on them (the detectors) and see if that helps any.

I knew something was up because on the BW's all it takes is ONE CLICK of the volume knobs on them and ALL sound is lost. Maybe if I had ears like the kid on the cover of Mad Magazine I could hear better...lol.

• Like 1

The new hearing aids dont suck as bad as the old ones, that is for certain. The ones that have the tube that allows sound and circulation are the best. and yes, they can program the sounds to suit your frequency loss. It makes everything sound "tinny" and it it is an incredible expense. So far I have not seen or heard anything that I am willing to spend $4 grand on.

Sure the Gold Screamer is loud. You must insure that you have the thing turned down or take the headphones off when you first turn on that machine or the racket that a Minelab produces when you flip it on will damage your ears. But other than that you just adjust the amplitude as you wish. It simply makes the detector louder. I do not know why the manufacturer designed the machine to make that obnoxious racket when you turn the thing on. It is really aggravating. Now I have a little start up routine that I am used to and I dont get my head blown off when I turn the machine on.

Without the gold screamer the start up insanity is all I can hear. Why they made a machine that the junk noise is jet engine loud and the good signals are all but inaudible I can't say. I have a hell of a lot of criticisms for Minelab but despite the noise and the cheap ass switches and hardware and lead heavy control box, huge battery, no speakers, and extreme weight they are the best tool for the job. Someday a company is going to make the exact same machine with quality switches and a well engineered control box and take all their business. Until then Minelab has the best machine for the job in my opinion....even if they cost a fortune and you have to buy a bunch of accessories before they will work properly.

A Lorenz Deep Max is a MUCH better machine and costs a little less than Minelab. For every application other than prospecting for gold nuggets it is head and shoulders above any PI on the market. And for nuggets above 1/4 oz or so the Lorenz cant be beat. It will detect a soda can at 16 feet with the standard coil and realy BOOM on iron meteorites. The coil is convertible so that you can make it almost any size you want and even rig it behind an ATV or a truck. And it requires no aftermarket additions at all...ready to go right from the start. As far as I am concerned this is the state of the art detector and will be my next detector purchase.

So I will be getting an amp, and possibly in the near future, some hearing aids. Thanks to all who responded.

If your intention is to wear a hearing aid while using headphones, forget about it. Too much electronic feedback that will drive you nuts. I suggest an amplifier like a Depthmaster or something similar to that. By the way- I strongly suggest everyone wear headphones. Too many faint signals lost if you don't. I never had any problems finding gold with a Gold Bug 2 just using Koss headphones.

From another guy with really,really bad hearing.

Steve

Bob I thought the new digital hearing aids could be programed to amplifie only the section of the audio spectrum you needed to amplifie, unlike the old style antilog ones ?

Great idea on wearing earplugs before detecting to enhance your hearing.

wonderer

The new hearing aids work on radio waves. One aid sends signals to the other and it picks up TV so you dont have to wear headphones. I would imagine that a blue tooth could direct your detector sounds diretly to your hearing aids, but then you may have some serious problems unless you buy some harware to do that.

The ones I checked out last month had phone, T.V., Radio and sounds from your computer piped directly to the microphone in a wireless fashion. And sounds that your "bad ear" could not hear were automatically sent to your "good ear" via a processor and radio waves. You could probably make them compatable with a detector but then there is just one more aftermarket gadget to buy on top of a $5000 detector and a set of $4000 hearing aids. Before you were finished you could have $10K into the whole shebang!

The first thing you know the hearing aids would be full of wax and then they would fall into the toilet. The coil wire on your new coil would start falsing and the power switch on the Minelab would break and you would send it back. Then it would rain for two weekends before your wife got sick. About that time your 4WD would go south. By the time you got out prospecting the hubs of hell would be frozen over.

Are you guys serious? He needs an amp to hear a friggin beer can? or even a shell casing at point blank range?

He said he switched out the Black widows for the Koss, and there was a major difference. Is the GP3000 that bad? I used my ( notoriously quiet) SD2200 for a year before I bought a signal amp, and I could hear a beer can or shell casings at major depth without an amp.....What gives? The toggles are in the wrong position or he got a bad set of headphones. Thats my story and im sticking to it :D

I had a GP Extreme and now have a 3500, I could hear the signals but they were muffled somewhat. I got a signal enhancer from Doc and now I have to turn the volume down some. My ears tested perfect when I got out of the Marine Corps. Maybe I got two bad detectors and two bad sets of headphones too. I don't know but I have a nice pile of gold to play with. That's my story and I am going to stick to it too.

Bob,

If you were to lose your sight, touch or any of your senses, the price to get it back is inconsequential. To me getting my hearing back after over 40 years goes well beyond just detecting. I can hear birds, crickets, and I am constantly asking Mrs El Dorado what that sound is because I could not remember ever hearing it before. 4-5-or 6 thousand dollars it worth every penny! Not to mention, life is better for all that are talking to me as I don't have to make them repeat themselves all the time.

The tube for directing sound from an aid is old school. The newest aids actually have a miniature hi fidelity speaker that goes in the ear that eliminates the tinny hollow sound the tube kind have. And yes they work on FM radio waves. They can also be used under a headset( I use Black Widows and Koss) with no feedback or anything but good sound! Right now, I am awaiting the part that will transmit TV, radio, phone or anything I want directly to my aids. Going to be fantastic when I can use that to send my beepers sounds right to my ears! One of the greatest thing is that these actually have a remote volume control and I can turn these up enough so I can hear a conversation in a house 100 yards away! The words are not clear enough to make them out, but the voices can be heard. A whole new world has opened up to me! Not to mention my gold finding has improved too! OH yeah, they come with a 2 year unconditional warranty, covered for any loss, even a dog eating them (common) or even dropping in a crapper!

Phonak brand Audio is the model of what I have and I highly recommend then.. Now if they would only come out with something for CRS

Bob,

If you were to lose your sight, touch or any of your senses, the price to get it back is inconsequential. To me getting my hearing back after over 40 years goes well beyond just detecting. I can hear birds, crickets, and I am constantly asking Mrs El Dorado what that sound is because I could not remember ever hearing it before. 4-5-or 6 thousand dollars it worth every penny! Not to mention, life is better for all that are talking to me as I don't have to make them repeat themselves all the time.

The tube for directing sound from an aid is old school. The newest aids actually have a miniature hi fidelity speaker that goes in the ear that eliminates the tinny hollow sound the tube kind have. And yes they work on FM radio waves. They can also be used under a headset( I use Black Widows and Koss) with no feedback or anything but good sound! Right now, I am awaiting the part that will transmit TV, radio, phone or anything I want directly to my aids. Going to be fantastic when I can use that to send my beepers sounds right to my ears! One of the greatest thing is that these actually have a remote volume control and I can turn these up enough so I can hear a conversation in a house 100 yards away! The words are not clear enough to make them out, but the voices can be heard. A whole new world has opened up to me! Not to mention my gold finding has improved too! OH yeah, they come with a 2 year unconditional warranty, covered for any loss, even a dog eating them (common) or even dropping in a crapper!

Phonak brand Audio is the model of what I have and I highly recommend then.. Now if they would only come out with something for CRS

Phonak is what I tried last month. They have the open tube that goes down into your ear that the speaker is mounted on. And your decisions on what you feel is a value is just great for you.

I am happy you feel that the hearing aids were a value to you. Good for you Steve!

I didn't feel that way about them.

Steve, that what the Va gave me, phonak, top of the line, free batteries for life, and free maintance, Makes a world of difference. Grubstake

If they would have offered them to me for free the value would have definitely been there! And yes, I agree they are the top of the line. An excellent product.