Nugget Shooter Forums

What's the best detector for silver?

azblackbird

The area I prospect is a known silver, gold, and copper producer. More so for the silver and copper than the gold.

My question... with the price of silver being what it is, would it make economical sense to also detect for silver ore and possibly a rare nugget or two?

If so... what detector would be the best for finding silver?

The area I prospect is a known silver, gold, and copper producer. More so for the silver and copper than the gold.

My question... with the price of silver being what it is, would it make economical sense to also detect for silver ore and possibly a rare nugget or two?

If so... what detector would be the best for finding silver?

The same VLF or PI machines you are using for gold. We used to get a lot of silver nuggets up behind Humbug, above Lake Pleasant in the middle-Bradshaws. Goldbug II is a monster on silver ore..

We used to get a lot of silver nuggets up behind Humbug, above Lake Pleasant in the middle-Bradshaws.

Same general area I'm prospecting. You got any photos of your silver nugget finds? I'd like to know what I'm searching for and what they look like.

Native silver detects great. Any machine will do the trick. The sad fact is that very little silver ore is detectable. You will walk over a ton of silver before you get a piece that will make a machine squeal. Like meteorites, silver ore is best recovered by recognizing it and picking it up. Chlorine and Sulphur and the chemical thing you know...

Same with placer tin. We have plenty of both here but very few pieces of ore go 'beep".

Same general area I'm prospecting. You got any photos of your silver nugget finds? I'd like to know what I'm searching for and what they look like.

Native silver looks just like a lump of silver. Black and tarnished white metal and a crazy shape. Just like gold you cant miss it. Native metals are easy. It will look just like a lump of lead only harder and whiter when you polish it. Now the ore of silver is a completely different story. Chlorides and sulphides are difficult to identify and silver comes in MANY forms in nature.

The most common and valuable ore of silver is Argentite. It is heavy, black like a piece of charcoal and does not make a sound on a detector. 98% silver and is generally more pure than native silver nuggets. Usually a lot more plentiful as well, as silver rapidly "tarnishes" to a sulphide or chloride form. Most of the silver that was once native metal has changed into "horn silver" or argentite by way of chemical action.