Nugget Shooter Forums

Some time back I mentioned a little about a new PI. Well, after quite some time and a few changes it has become a reality. How about a PI that weighs 3.1lbs with a small coil and 3.5lbs with a larger one?

Here is a Utube video of the new detector.

I forgot to add, the price is $1299 for the SL with a 12" loop or $1249 for the SL with the standard 7 1/2" loop.

Reg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All I have to say is KUDO'S to Whites for at least trying to keep up with the Jones and this a very steady T-hold-Thats more than I can say for Toy-soro who have'nt put out anything new in a longggggg

If these forums are for sharing and informing fellow members...why is a simple and news worthy post from Reg so agitating??? The newest version of the TDI is finally getting to be what many people wan

I've never met Reg in person, but I can tell you from experience how helpful he has been to me personally with tips for my Whites TDI. I have learned by reading other posts on this, and other forums,

Sorry Reg. Fisher Goldbug II works just as well anmd costs a lot less! Almost seems like Whites is trying to make a PI detector into a VLF detector? Ground balancing a PI machine? I don't understand????

Sorry Reg. Fisher Goldbug II works just as well anmd costs a lot less! Almost seems like Whites is trying to make a PI detector into a VLF detector? Ground balancing a PI machine? I don't understand????

So if a Goldbug II works just as well as a PI machine, why is everybody wasting their money buying the high $$$ Minelabs?

So if a Goldbug II works just as well as a PI machine, why is everybody wasting their money buying the high $$$ Minelabs?

He means a gold bug works as good as that whites PI detector .. The mine labs find sub gram nuggets at the same depth. With my gp3000 I found a 2pwt nugget 14inches deep. You pay for a mine lab because it will find you lots of gold. It's not a waste of money. Other PIs might be.

Terry If you do not ground balance your pi you will not find gold.guess you put your foot in your mouth on that one, All metal detectors need to be ground balanced offten, to insure a proper and rewarding setting of controls.

YEAH YEAH DENNY !!!! THOSE THAT BALANCE OF"TEN" , ARE USUALLY THE 10 % THAT PRODUCE.

AN TERRY THERES NOTHIN WRONG WITH A P.I. MACHINE THE SIZE AND LOOK OF A VLF.

ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS GET THAT CONFIGURATION TO PRODUCE REGULARLY AND THERES ANOTHER P.I. ON THE BLOCK. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT DOESN'T HAVE THE DEPTH CAPABILITIES OF A MINELAB.

IT 'S NOT COMPETING WITH THEM. THIS MACHINE CAN BE CAPABLE OF ALOT MORE THAN YER BEST VLF's. SO THAT FILLS A "NICHE" RIGHT THERE SONNY !!!!

SEEMS TO ME AND I'VE NOT BEEN KEEPIN UP WITH IT WHITES HAS ANOTHER NEW OFFERING IN THE P.I. FIELD.

He means a gold bug works as good as that whites PI detector .. The mine labs find sub gram nuggets at the same depth. With my gp3000 I found a 2pwt nugget 14inches deep. You pay for a mine lab because it will find you lots of gold. It's not a waste of money. Other PIs might be.

Help me out here... if you're telling me a GB2 is equivalent to a Whites PI, but not a Minelab PI, then why do many of those who own a Minelab PI, also own a GB2 or other quality VLF machine? :hmmmmm:

Terry,

You seem to know all about the SL but don't have a clue. I will say I personally tested a prototype of this detector against a GB 2. No, not my GB 2 but another guy's because he wanted to know how it compared. Actually, he ran his detector, not me. Guess what, with the controls of the GB 2 at normal setting and the same on the PI, the PI did a better job on the small gold. Add a hot rock, adjust the GB to the ground and the nuggets disappeared on the GB 2 but were detected with a decent signal on the PI.

Oh yeah, a few years ago, we tested a bunch of ML's on my invisible nuggets and other small gold at the 24K club when it was in existence. Bunk, Montana, Allison and others were there. Most were using 4500's, I believe. Only Bunk (at least I think they called him Bunk) claimed he could hear some of those small or invisible nuggets. The rest of the guys including Montana admitted they couldn't hear them. Personally, I listened to Bunks detector and I couldn't hear anything. On my low powered PI, I would get a nice decent signal. On the SL, I get the same nice decent signal as I did on my low powered PI.

This is a $1200 + detector and was never designed to compete depth wise with a $6000 unit. Find the right dealer and you probably could pick this detector up for closer to $1000. Regardless of price, this little detector should be quite competitive with the big boys on the smaller stuff which is the most common gold to be found. This detector is built for the guy on a budget or one who doesn't hunt that often and can't justify the high price tag. It also works well for those who can't handle a lot of weight because the whole detector, batteries and all, weighs less than some batteries used by others. At just over 3 lbs, with the small coil, it is quite comfortable to use especially because it is balanced so well.

Reg

Sure, let me help you all out. First, most of us who own a Minelab GPX 4000, also own either a Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ; a Whites GMT; or a Fisher Goldbug II - as well. Why? Because these VLF machines get the itty bitty stuff the Minelab walks over. That is why the GPX 5000 is so important to serious hunters - you don't need the VLF anymore. I think what Whites is trying to do is tell me their new PI can discriminate.. hmmm.. I'm keeping an open mind! Oh, and my foot is planted so far down my throat after two ex-wives and 20-years of Family Court, it aint never coming out! My Tesoro Sand Shark will find just as much gold - just as deep as that Whites machine at $580.00 out of the box. C'mon!

'Reg' wrote:

...yeah, a few years ago, we tested a bunch of ML's on my invisible nuggets and other small gold at the 24K club when it was in existence. Bunk, Montana, Allison and others were there. Most were using 4500's, I believe. Only Bunk (at least I think they called him Bunk) claimed he could hear some of those small or invisible nuggets. The rest of the guys including Montana admitted they couldn't hear them. Personally, I listened to Bunks detector and I couldn't hear anything. On my low powered PI, I would get a nice decent signal. On the SL, I get the same nice decent signal as I did on my low powered PI...

I was a member of 24K. The club got pulled out from under us before the GPX4500 was introduced. Hey, I'm probably wrong about that as well. Nice job of calling Bunk a liar though. I know Bunk. I've shaken his hand and bought his equipment - SEEN his gold.

My Tesoro Sand Shark will find just as much gold - just as deep as that Whites machine at $580.00 out of the box. C'mon!

Well then... I guess it's all settled. White's should immediately quit making their PI line and go into partnership with Tesoro (or at the very least license their superior technology) and then re-badge their entire TDI line. They'd make a killing! :rolleyes:

I always get a kick out of people who talk out of their ass when they've never actually used, or have any in-depth experience of the products mentioned. But wait... they have a friend of a friend who says this product is superior to this product, so I guess that makes them experts on the matter... just because. :bang:

Well then... I guess it's all settled. White's should immediately quit making their PI line and go into partnership with Tesoro (or at the very least license their superior technology) and then re-badge their entire TDI line. They'd make a killing! :rolleyes:

I always get a kick out of people who talk out of their ass when they've never actually used any of the products mentioned. But wait... they have a friend of a friend who says this product is superior to this product, so I guess that makes them experts on the matter... just because. :bang:

Who are you? Do you have ANY clue what I have used or haven't used? Do you really know how many snake oil sales- men and -women I have seen come and go? Unique does not equal useful. I gotta admit though, I did get a giggle out of your post..

Terry,

Call it what you like, I listened to his detector and I couldn't hear any threshold change. Sorry if you think that means I am calling him a liar. Personally, I don't remember you as a member of the 24K, but who cares? Rob Allison was using the place for showing PIs to perspective buyers at the time. The detector might have been the 4000, but I don't think so. It was on one of the last few pushes they had we did this. Actually, we did it earlier also, but it was a few years before and I don't remember what the ML was at the time.

To be honest, I really don't care if you believe me or not, Terry.

Oh yeah, I know you didn't get a prototype and this detector just hit some of the dealers late last week, so I am confident you don't have a clue. Talk about a snake salesman, if the shoe fits, wear it.

I tested the Sand Shark years ago and once again, you don't have a clue. It sucks as a gold hunting machine. No gb and no secondary sampling so hotrocks sound off on it that don't sound off on other PI's. Making that statement to the unsuspecting is truly sad. Some guy may buy one based upon your statement and be in for a real shock. The Sand Shark works well on most beaches but not out in the gold hunting fields.

Reg

Who are you? Do you have ANY clue what I have used or haven't used?

Obviously you have vast experience with the new White's PI... right? So I'm guessing with your vast experience in using the White's PI vs. your Tesoro Sand Shark, you should be able to post some conclusive data or videos to support your claims... right?

Unless of course you're just talking out of your ass... but I know that can't be the case, because you've tested both units side by side... right? :inocent:

All I have to say is KUDO'S to Whites for at least trying to keep up with the Jones and this a very steady T-hold-Thats more than I can say for Toy-soro who have'nt put out anything new in a longggggggg time .Terry just for the record when it comes to metal detectors Reg is one of the most knowledgable there is-you should be all ears instead of all mouth-you might learn something .Mike C...

• Like 1
Guest Nuggethunting

Hello All,

Well I guess I have to jump in here when I see my name being used.

Reg - We have done many of these tests on the PI's, I believe we done one also around Greaterville or Quartzsite together. Without a doubt, the Minelab PI's struggle on "invisible gold," which is normally pretty porous in nature. John "Goldmaster" Blennert used to razz us Minelab users all the time down in Greaterville when he would find the very porous, cornflake type nuggets in the range of .5 - 2.5 Grams. I tested the Minelab's PI's on this gold, even with a small Mono loop with max out settings and wouldn't get a peep on the gold. Trust me, it wasn't what I wanted to hear or see, but it was reality!

The new FineGold timing on the GPX5000 helps, but still don't allow you to find all the porous type gold. I believe the solution has been to have a good PI for the deeper, solid and dense gold nuggets, especially in highly mineralized ground conditions and a high freq. VLF detector (such as the GB2) for small sub grain nuggets, specimens with small amounts of gold and porous nuggets.

Keep in mind, it don't matter what detector you have, at some point you're going to walk over gold.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

www.nuggethunting.com

I tested the Minelab's PI's on this gold, even with a small Mono loop with max out settings and wouldn't get a peep on the gold. Trust me, it wasn't what I wanted to hear or see, but it was reality!

Maybe you should have had a Tesoro Sand Shark with you. It would have found it. My friend said it would. :grr01:

well now here's a feisty little thread.

I have no direct experience with a Whites PI

so I'm interested that it's ground balancing is a matter of turning a dial

as opposed to pumping the coil.

Seeing people who don't know each other getting in each other's faces

about a product nobody has tested except probably Reg,

is just laughable if it weren't so sad.

What possible gain can there be from that? - no pun intended...

Flak

Hi Rob,

The ML is a great detector that is aimed more at finding larger gold deeper. Granted, the newer ones do a better job on the smaller stuff also. Like all PI's none do a super job on the really small stuff. Now, I suspect a smaller DD coil would do a little better job on detecting that very small gold. If you get a chance you might try it. Was the 4500 out when the 24K club was open? I was pretty sure it was.

Yes, we have done a lot of tests together over a several years especially when I was working on my low powered PI. I don't have to work on that now since my dad is gone and there isn't the need to make the lightest detector possible. So, I began working on some ideas on the original GS 5, the TDI forerunner.

This new Whites unit certainly will not compete depth wise on the larger gold with the ML's. It was never designed to do that.

The video mentioned another video where the TDI can distinguish much of the iron. That is something it can do. What isn't known is I have found a way to shift things which makes this iron capability even better. There are side effects though, so it needs to be switchable. Actually, it will work fine if one knows what to expect, but with my latest idea, most gold will generate a high tone and most iron a low tone. This tone change is good on gold up to and well over an oz in weight on much gold that has certain characteristics. So, a person can walk though a nail infested zone and know most nails from gold signals. Parts of nails or very small iron junk such as a small piece of a tin can is or can be a problem. Since most small pieces of tin can quite often are at the surface, then they can be determined also.

For those interested, the link to the forum where the present video is discussed and future videos will most likely show up is at the following;

http://z7.invisionfree.com/whitesgoldmaster/index.php?showforum=14

Getting back to the shifting of signals, the SL has part of that in it now when they added the feature that enhances the small gold signals. For those interested, the super smooth threshold comes from a modified version of my noise reduction design. The two designs are almost identical, The mod that enhances small gold is my design and was a last minute addition.

So, as you can tell, I am very familiar with what the detector can and can't do. Whites wanted to use Ni Mh to make shipping less of a problem as well as allow for a lighter detector. They managed to do that with little to no depth loss when compared to the TDI or TDI Pro detector. So, this little unit is trying to fit a notch for those who can't afford the top line unit but want something better than the VLF's that isn't any heavier then those VLF's they normally use.

Reg

Flak,

Once you try or use the TDI you will be surprised by the fact that auto ground balance isn't needed here in the US, especially when the gain is lowered as it is on the White's unit. Whites is not pushing the limit, so it is not subject to a lot of the strange responses heard by ML owners. In fact, any of the TDI units can be tested in doors relatively close to TV's or computers and still work quite well. The SL is superior under such conditions though.

Now, this is not to say that auto ground balance isn't something considered in future TDI designs but generally a simple manual adjustment will suffice for a long period of time with present units and, as the video indicates, is really quite simple. Now one thing that was determined when the TDI was being modified for use in OZ is the fact the ground signal changes very little even from here in the US to over there. What changes is the the signal from hotrocks and the intensity of that ground signal. In other words, a setting of about 8 on the GB will most likely work both here and in OZ, but that actual fine tuning will be a whole lot touchier in OZ. So, one might need a 8.1 setting here and maybe a 8.2 setting over there and needs to have that ability to make such a fine adjustment. That is why the OZ version of the TDI has a vernier GB control. What is also different is the TDI will still work well in most places even in OZ with a mono coil. In fact, the use of a DD coil is almost non existent to the point that many people say DD coils shouldn't be used on the TDI. Unfortunately, this is not true and DD coils will work just fine.

Reg

Terry,

Once again.... You can wear all the lipstick you want but there are a few people who frequent this forum that have seen what the TDI or its predecessor the GS 5 can do and where it purrs. Also, there are ML converts that own a TDI also, so they can take advantage of its features. So, yes, it has caught on with those who have taken time to learn it or its predecessor, the GS 5.

Most TDI's sold are done so by new owners who want instant results and don't take time to learn the features or the tricks to maximize the depth. This takes practice and experience but once learned can make dramatic differences in depth capability. A person can pay 3 to 4 times as much and not have to make as many adjustments if they so desire and get more depth.

The fact is, a lot of gold has been found with the TDI with most found by a core group of users, just like what is being done with the ML's.

Reg