Nugget Shooter Forums

here is , I hope a report on my oz rock...Frank, yours appears to be similar...

fred

Nice Stone, Fred! Nice find! I'd cut that and have a thin section made in a heartbeat. Would not detract from it all all best I can tell!

Sure like to hear the story on it!

Jim

Well, it is a short sad story....While in Australia last year I was on tour with Mark Hydes outfit. On the first day of the tour I walked a way from the group and got a very nice signal in a berm that was part of a Push...as soon as I dug the signal and had it in hand I was 95% certain I had a meteorite. After filing down the only place that would preverve the flow lines I knew it was a meteorite. My joy was tempered by the knowledge that i had found something I could not legally keep...I struggeled with this the whole tour until I finally decided to leave it in Oz...after making some contacts I had the rock sent to Ray who did the report...some day, when the world comesback to sanity I may get my rock back but until then it is on display in Bathurst if you want to go see it...

By the way, KGMRG...I can't imagine what you read that justifies your conclusion...it is a cold find there are no more that I am aware of...

fred

here is , I hope a report on my oz rock...Frank, yours appears to be similar...

fred

Hey Fred! Frank here. Have you considered the idea of sanding and polishing the flatest side just enough to see some unexposed, unweathered structure, you'd only loose 2-3 centigrams, and gain a clear, clean view of metal and chondrules!

WOW FRED, What a heartbreaker. :wah2: No kiddin you could not legally posses it or take it with you it sounds like. Holy crap what a drag for sure.

And its so damm far away you can't even go get a second look at it without crossing the ocean. Thats a strange bird of a situation, so you could go to Oz hunt gold and take it home but not a meteorite ??? WOW that HURTS. :cigar:

G'Day Everyone

Well Fred, I always knew you had character but you took it up a notch. It's pretty hard to forfeit a meteorite but you did the right thing. In this day and age, things are changing, borders are being closed. Libyan Desert Glass is not allowed out of the country any more. Campos also are restricted. India's put restrictions, Canada's restrictions and the list goes on. I think what brought about Australia's closing of certain states and meteorite restrictions came about due to Bob Haag's discovery of Calcalong. Australia's first lunar mixed in a batch of Millbillillee. I commend him on his great eye but I suppose it caused a little bit of a ruffle in the Australian meteorite community.

But you did have a great find there and when I get home, I'll at least know when I see it that you were the finder. You could apply for an export permit. But it is a great story and one that I'd like to listen to over a cold beer

Cheers

Johnno

Yeah, Johno, thanks...some VB or Carltons for me!!!! My Shout, Mate....in print I sound like a local, huh...anyway, I will buy you and Kat beers anytime!

Rockhunter, if you look very close at one of the pic's you will see the nickel/iron...there is no doubt...

Leaving the rock was a difficult decision but I did not want to be told by Oz that I was no longer welcome...

anyway, I found it and I have the memories that no one can claim but me...

fred