Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveDigger

Opinions wanted on rock

I have a friend that is thinking about selling this rock, and I'm thinking about buying it. I have done some reading on here about identification (so don't just blast on me), but there is no sticky for it and finding that info is like sifting. Sorry for the poor picture quality, I will try to get some better photos. But everything I've seen so far says this is screaming "iron meteorite." Rock is approximately 12-15" wide and 70-90lbs. Story is that it was found in a well back in the 1960's. No testing has been performed yet.

possiblemeteor800x600.jpg

Dave

WELL !!!! (found in a WELL!!!) , if you don't have to pay very much for it and it turns out to be other than a meteorite you won't be out very much.

Picture quality is much less than desirable for sure. But from looking at the pic it could be ????

So see who's the best haggler you or him (John Wayne VS. Scat Man Crothers) The Shootist !!! Then you can at least have it in your possession and file an area to get a look see at the inside and take some better pics to post and possibly send a piece in for lab work also get some opinions from some of the pros , which I am not. HAGGLE my friend.

It is darn tough to prove an iron meteorite is an iron meteorite. It has been my experience that if you locate the specimen in a spot that is not where it originally fell it is suspect from the beginning and may be impossible. A friend of mine has found three obvious irons but is having quite a time getting them authenticated because of this. Nice etched pattern, lots of nickel, all the elemental profiles look good, fusion crust, but the meteorite experts want to know where they can go find more. If there is no possibility of them getting a location then they are not too interested in proving anything it seems.

Looks good but then there are a lot of good looking unauthenticated iron meteorites out there. I will not be worth much unless it is authenticated I dont think, and even then finding a market may be tough.

Good luck! I hope you have one!

Will he let you test it before you buy it?

Hmmmm, let's see... Scrap iron About $8

Iron Meteorite About $3000 to $30000

Jim

What is the round thing on the lower left? Looks man made.

Jim

What is the round thing on the lower left? Looks man made.

Jim

Man you have good eyes. I could not see an artifact line anywhere. That may be one. The knobs on the left had me hooked. I like the shape but your obervation is an excellent one.

You sure know more about it than I do, and we are only looking at a fuzzy photograph. But I think that is the most likely looking specimen I have seen anyone post in a long time. At least until you pointed put where the pistons went.

If there is no possibility of them getting a location then they are not too interested in proving anything it seems.

Hey Bob I'm not sure where your getting your information about this but it isn't necessarily true. It's my understanding that if you have a meteorite with an unknown origin then you can pull a NOVA provisional number for it.

It's hard to say if thats a meteorite or not.

Del

Hey Bob I'm not sure where your getting your information about this but it isn't necessarily true. It's my understanding that if you have a meteorite with an unknown origin then you can pull a NOVA provisional number for it.

It's hard to say if thats a meteorite or not.

Del

It is not really information that is "true" or "untrue". It is just my opinion. They dont seem too interested. For whatever reasons I suppose. I dont really know how the process works or about what type of "NOVA number" they can give them. It is simply my humble opinion that if it was found out on the lone prairie where more could be found they would be a heck of a lot more interested in classifying the specimen. If'n it is found in a well, a post hole, or at an old schoolhouse they just don't seem to be so enthusiastic. It isn't a statement of fact. It is just a personal observation based on very limited experience.

Hi Dave and All

If you go back to the well you will probably find the bucket and pulley too :rolleyes: . I think it's an old iron counterweight :huh: . I guess it could on a slim chance be meteoric :shrug: ?? If it has a pattern when sliced or test higher than 4% nickel you will probably find a lab to at least look at it :hmmmmm: . Otherwise you bought an old well counterweight :whaaaa: !!

Happy Huntin John B.

The photo is terribly blurry and there's no scale reference. I can't say anything else. You have to at least cover the basics, friend. Try a google search, it's hardly "sifting". I really don't understand what you expect from posting a blurry picture.

Have I had too many beero's, or is that an apes face on the left hand side?

Patrick.....

post-23679-0-88971500-1312429350_thumb.j

Patrick.....

I just smoked a fatty and I can see the monkey too! It MUST be there.

The photo is terribly blurry and there's no scale reference. I can't say anything else. You have to at least cover the basics, friend. Try a google search, it's hardly "sifting". I really don't understand what you expect from posting a blurry picture.

1. I said it is blurry. I don't own the rock and have limited access to it right now (I have a purchasing agent meeting with the owner). It was an offhand shot from forever away.

2. I did the google search. I read. Where I don't have access to the rock, I cannot test it in any fashion (bulk density, filing, etc). I know a magnet sticks to it.

3. What I expected was sound advice about simply the *appearance* of the rock, and that being strong enough evidence to pursue purchase if the price is right. I received this advice from everyone else.

4. Thank you all so much for the advice. I hope I can arrange the purchase, even if it is a counterweight, engine block, or lump of poo. It at least bears a striking resemblance to a meteorite, and for that it'd be worth $50. I just see what appear to be palm-sized regmaglyphs that I'm having problems debunking as man-made. If I get more photos or information in the days to come, I will update this thread. However, if anyone would like to contribute more critical observations of the photo, I'd love to read it. Otherwise, we'll see how it goes!

Dave

Edit - I found this photo again, of an authenticated iron meteorite, and it's encouraging the similarities.

possiblemeteor800x600winset.jpg

Man you have good eyes. I could not see an artifact line anywhere. That may be one. The knobs on the left had me hooked. I like the shape but your obervation is an excellent one.

You sure know more about it than I do, and we are only looking at a fuzzy photograph. But I think that is the most likely looking specimen I have seen anyone post in a long time. At least until you pointed put where the pistons went.

I think I am learning to look, then walk away, come back and look again. I did not see that feature the first time. On the second look, it stood out like a sore thumb. Wonder what that is??? confused0082[1].gif Anyways, John's answer seems reasonable, I think. Doubt we'll ever see a meteorite with a thing like that on it!

Jim

Patrick.....

Yeah but did you see the one on the right? Looks like it's screaming! If you don't, smoke another one, you will!happy0193[1].gif

I THINK ALL U GUYS HAVE BEEN RIDIN THAT WACKY STAGECOACH AGAIN !!!!! :hahaha:

Yeah but did you see the one on the right? Looks like it's screaming! If you don't, smoke another one, you will!happy0193[1].gif

I see both monkeys and I also see a frog's face at the top. :spinnin:

Good luck. if you can get for $50, I would buy it just as a 70lb to 90lb interesting rock.

Skip

Hi Guys-

Wouldn't a simple chemical test for nickel help to determine of it's a meteorite? :hmmmmm: Anyway I agree with John B. What are the odds of finding a meteorite in a well? :shrug:

Steve

Hi Guys-

Wouldn't a simple chemical test for nickel help to determine of it's a meteorite? :hmmmmm: Anyway I agree with John B. What are the odds of finding a meteorite in a well? :shrug:

Steve

Not on an iron. Almost all steel is alloyed with nickel and an artifact often shows a good amount of nickel. So nickel content for an iron is not in itself a determination. The complete elemental profile can be used to make a general determination though, and that takes into account nickel and everything else and the ratio they are found.

An old rusted blob of welding slag will show positive for nickel every time but it is not from space. So will an old broken wrench shaled away from its original shape. On an iron the shape and fusion crust is more determinate than a nickel test in my opinion.

And the odds of finding a meteorite in a well are pretty good if someone found it and threw it down there. The odds of finding ANYTHING in a well are slim unless someone threw it down there. Think about it...iron is used for weight and meteorites have been found holding down sheet metal roofs on chicken houses, used as door stops and holding down stacks of plywood. Why not a counterweight for a well?

I found one sitting next to the entry of the door to an old schoolhouse. I would assume that the chances of finding one next to a door are about the same as finding one in a well. It all depends on where the finder decided to put it last. And remember we dont have any idea where this one was found. The poster said it was the story behind it and it was found many years ago, so all that is nothing but a story that may or may not be accurate.

I know of four meteortes in New Mexico that have been found in native archaeological sites buried like a warrior or a cheiftain. That probably means that they were witnessed falling and recovered and then buried with honor. I would venture to say that would be a lot more unlikely than someone finding a meteorite and using it as a counterweight for a water bucket and it winding up in the well. So when you think about it finding one in a well might not be all that unlikely.

Negotiations begin tomorrow. Will update.

Respecfully -

If this was my friend, I sure would tell him the reason I was offering to buy it. And, in reality, I would try to help him test it...at least put a grinder on part of it and then some high speed sanding prior to offering to buy it. If he did not want to do any of that, with my help, then I'd offer to buy it.

I am not saying you already did all that or not, I am just saying I would not sell a friend down the river...or well, in this case. There would be more value in helping a friend find out if he owned a meteorite.

Kind regards,

Jim

Respecfully -

If this was my friend, I sure would tell him the reason I was offering to buy it. And, in reality, I would try to help him test it...at least put a grinder on part of it and then some high speed sanding prior to offering to buy it. If he did not want to do any of that, with my help, then I'd offer to buy it.

I am not saying you already did all that or not, I am just saying I would not sell a friend down the river...or well, in this case. There would be more value in helping a friend find out if he owned a meteorite.

Kind regards,

Jim

Jim,

After reading up on this forum, I trust your opinions highly. No offense taken.

The owner of the rock completely rejected the idea. It seems that he's had it for so long that he's already decided what it is, an iron well counterweight. His attitude was more to convince my agent rather than listen to him. My agent is the person who stumbled upon it, and the first words out of his mouth was, "Fellas, that's a meteorite." At which he immediately got laughter from all present. So at this point I'm thinking it's fair game.

Dave

Jim,

After reading up on this forum, I trust your opinions highly. No offense taken.

The owner of the rock completely rejected the idea. It seems that he's had it for so long that he's already decided what it is, an iron well counterweight. His attitude was more to convince my agent rather than listen to him. My agent is the person who stumbled upon it, and the first words out of his mouth was, "Fellas, that's a meteorite." At which he immediately got laughter from all present. So at this point I'm thinking it's fair game.

Dave

Well, then. Good luck and let us know what you find out. You know if it's a wrong, it was still fun, right???happy0193[1].gif

If it were something I was testing I'd do this...

I'd first give it a really good look. I think I see a man made feature on it...and that is what I'd be looking for. What's that round feature on it??? If I could not find any man-made looking feature on it, I'd find a spot on it that was complete and butt ugly. I'd cut or grind it off. I would then polish it with a high speed sander and finish it more gently as I went. I'd then give it a really good look to determine if I could see any Widmanstatten pattern and/or inclusions. If I was not convinced at that point, I'd probably look at doing an etch, or I'd XRF it. Or, I'd have a few beers or maybe some of that top secret Meteorite Rum and say a few cuss words to it!

Or, I'd just grind and polish a small part and look for a pattern or inclusions or both.

What is the worst that can happen? You would have a chunk of iron. However, you will have gone through the process of learning to ID a meteorite...and that is not a bad thing at all! And, you may have to buy us all beers or soda pops for those gawd aweful pictures! tongue.gif

Jim

Hi DaveDigger,

You're asking for opinions, so I'd like to put my :twocents: worth:

If you don't mind filing a corner of the metal object (a square inch), you could find (or not find) Widmanstatten lines that would sway your concerns to either yay or nay of the object being a meteorite.

Try it.

1. I said it is blurry. I don't own the rock and have limited access to it right now (I have a purchasing agent meeting with the owner). It was an offhand shot from forever away.

2. I did the google search. I read. Where I don't have access to the rock, I cannot test it in any fashion (bulk density, filing, etc). I know a magnet sticks to it.

3. What I expected was sound advice about simply the *appearance* of the rock, and that being strong enough evidence to pursue purchase if the price is right. I received this advice from everyone else.

4. Thank you all so much for the advice. I hope I can arrange the purchase, even if it is a counterweight, engine block, or lump of poo. It at least bears a striking resemblance to a meteorite, and for that it'd be worth $50. I just see what appear to be palm-sized regmaglyphs that I'm having problems debunking as man-made. If I get more photos or information in the days to come, I will update this thread. However, if anyone would like to contribute more critical observations of the photo, I'd love to read it. Otherwise, we'll see how it goes!

Dave

Edit - I found this photo again, of an authenticated iron meteorite, and it's encouraging the similarities.

possiblemeteor800x600winset.jpg

Well good luck on the mystery rock whatever it is. Keep us posted