Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yazjones

Dacite Clifts in AZ

Does anyone know about this area off of RT60 outside Apache Junction?

Is collecting allowed?

Thanks -bill

Never heard of it....Whats supposed to be there? I could only imagine maybe, agate or chalcedony

Do you mean the Dacite Cliffs out by Gold Canyon? Dave

Never heard of it....Whats supposed to be there? I could only imagine maybe, agate or chalcedony

Dacite maybe?

I have been checking out flint knapping videos on youtube and some videos mention dacite is knappable.

So I googled dacite in Arizona and came up with these clifts I guess it's by Gold Canyon as Dave mentioned.

I'm wondering if this is a Native American cultural site or can I collect some of this rock to try knapping it?

Google maps show a road and parking by the site but also some buildings, see the following location on google earth:

33deg23min43.10sec N

111deg21min11.24sec W

I might just have to ride up there (85 miles) as soon as it cools down a bit!!!!

the area you are talking about is the don's camp...the dacite cliffs are behind it...they are also in the wilderness area and are off limits to rock collecting....arizona is full of dacite that you can drive to and collect all you want..if i were you i'd look around for a easier spot

You need a grade of dacite that has no inclusions and is not fractured and "grainy". There are but a few locations that produce this quality of dacite for knapping. There are many other forms of toolstone as well and you would be light years ahead to google "lithic quarries of Arizona" or something similar.

It looks like we are on about the same path. Good luck! You will be able to find suitable knapping stone if you do your research. I was lucky enough to meet Jim Winn and he answered a few questions and set me in the right direction. I am sure that you can locate someone who can point you in the right direction as well.

I am curently working dacite, obsidian and a truckload of thick glass from a railroad salvage yard. The glass is 5/8" thick and in big broken hunks. It makes fantastic tools and knapps like a charm. Pretty too. I suggest that you work this type of material before you try spalling cobbles. You will turn a truckload into rubble quickly and have very little success. The glass is easily obtainable, free, and gives you lots of practice before you begin turning good rocks into gravel. Just my two cents.

Thanks for responding everyone.

Sorry for not getting back sooner but had a little accident at the Tucson Airport, after going thru security I didn't realize I had not zipped my laptop case all-the-way. When I bent over to pick up my shoes out of the little bin my laptop slid out and hit the floor on its top right corner. It would not power on again for the rest of my trip. When I got it home and dug into it I found a scrunched battery connector. After getting a replacement and soldering it in it finally powered up. BUT....it looked like the hard drive was mechanically damaged. Oh well, time to get a new one anyhow, it had served me well since 2002 (Think Pad R32). Just got my new one up and running a week ago and I am amazed at the speed!! Should have trashed the TP many moons ago!!

Anyhow back to ROCKS..... I found on Google under "more", a tab for books. I did a search, as BB suggested and found more info than I can digest in one sitting. Some of the books/reports can be downloaded in PDF format.

I have knapped obsidian (from a rock shop in Benson,AZ) and some local quartz - my local library had a display of points found in my area - mostly small bird or maybe lizzard points. My quartz points are very close looking to the original NA points. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Thanks again for your help. I'm off this weekend to find some new knapping stone. -bill

Thanks for responding everyone.

Sorry for not getting back sooner but had a little accident at the Tucson Airport, after going thru security I didn't realize I had not zipped my laptop case all-the-way. When I bent over to pick up my shoes out of the little bin my laptop slid out and hit the floor on its top right corner. It would not power on again for the rest of my trip. When I got it home and dug into it I found a scrunched battery connector. After getting a replacement and soldering it in it finally powered up. BUT....it looked like the hard drive was mechanically damaged. Oh well, time to get a new one anyhow, it had served me well since 2002 (Think Pad R32). Just got my new one up and running a week ago and I am amazed at the speed!! Should have trashed the TP many moons ago!!

Anyhow back to ROCKS..... I found on Google under "more", a tab for books. I did a search, as BB suggested and found more info than I can digest in one sitting. Some of the books/reports can be downloaded in PDF format.

I have knapped obsidian (from a rock shop in Benson,AZ) and some local quartz - my local library had a display of points found in my area - mostly small bird or maybe lizzard points. My quartz points are very close looking to the original NA points. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Thanks again for your help. I'm off this weekend to find some new knapping stone. -bill

If'n you ever get out this way Bill I will take you to the Jemez where there is a bunch of fine obsidian. We also have Pedernal Peak where tons of flint came from that made points all over the southwest. I have been going to a spot behind my place that yeilds a little jasper of the highest quality. I have been able to go into the woods with my little deer antler and locate a piece of jasper and create a nice arrowhead.

I am really liking the glass pile. The very best material that I have located is my railroad glass. It is smoky like light obsidian and it makes super beautiful artifacts. I can get a large knife or a big point large enough to take out a wooly mammoth from the scrap glass and I only spent an hour locating it and loading it up.

I would LOVE to see a photo of your points! Knapping is such a great thing to know and a lot of guys are real artists. Not too many fellows spend any time trying to master controlling the conchoidal fracture. I posted quite a few photos when I first started knapping a couple of months ago in the "artifact and relics" forum here. I have plenty more since then and my knapping is getting much better. Let's post a few back and forth as I know there are a lot of guys here that are fascinated with making arrowheads!

I would also love to see more examples of what you guys can do!