Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
highbanker58

TSA strikes again

I flew from Arizona to Ganes Creek, Alaska last month with no problems, I packed my Minelab control box in my hand carrry. I checked the rest of the detector parts and my pick with a large 2" x 2" x 1/2" super magnet, no problems at all. They didn't even make me open the hand carry either direction. BUT........ when I got home and unpacked, almost everything was there, but my super magnet was missing. It was wrapped up in a 4 " wad of bubble wrap, just like they shipped it to me.Guess I better get another one ordered, $60. Dave

I don't understand, why would they confiscate your magnet, are magnets a new threat weapon of terrorists??? :whaaaa: :whaaaa: :whaaaa:

Skip

Maybe one of them said "Hey, this is kinda cool." and took it for him/her self. I wouldn't put anything past people nowadays.mad0229[1].gif

I flew from Arizona to Ganes Creek, Alaska last month with no problems, I packed my Minelab control box in my hand carrry. I checked the rest of the detector parts and my pick with a large 2" x 2" x 1/2" super magnet, no problems at all. They didn't even make me open the hand carry either direction. BUT........ when I got home and unpacked, almost everything was there, but my super magnet was missing. It was wrapped up in a 4 " wad of bubble wrap, just like they shipped it to me.Guess I better get another one ordered, $60. Dave

Sorry to hear about the theft. I'd turn it in and file a claim. In the meantime K&J magnetics is good to deal with.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

mick

Yes! File a complaint and follow it up. Missing properties! :*&$*(:

Even if there is a restriction on those magnets, you should have been notified of it's removal.

Magnets can mess up electronics and navigation...they have to be packed a certain way...

Guess I should have inventoried everything I took to see what was legal and what wasn't. According to airsafe.com - "items that are completely banned: Magnets-Strong magnets such as used in stereo speakers." OOPS !!!! I guess it could alter their navigation eqt. Dave

They still should have contacted you. You could have recovered the thing. :rolleyes:

They still should have contacted you. You could have recovered the thing. :rolleyes:

I just went through the suitcase again, there was nothing saying they were in there.I guess if you were going to steal something, you don't want anyone to know you were in there. Dave

Whenever they loot my luggage and take something cool they always leave a note inside the luggage. It happens almost every time I fly with checked luggage. That is why I generally take only carry on and UPS anything that has to be checked into the baggage compartment.

I usually place a book on how to grow marijuana in my checked baggage. They will insert a note saying that my baggage has been checked under the cover of that book every time. :hahaha: :hahaha:

I was a TSO transportation Security Officer with the TSA two years ago helping out. I never heard of magnets being prohibited. Perhaps things have changed since then. I did go on the TSA website and found nothing about magnets. But it was listed on the airsafe.com website. Good website to keep. If your magnet is epoxied to your pick I would think that would be ok. If your checked bag is opened a card is placed inside. Depending upon the airport and it's equipment. Checked bags are opened by alarm, suspiction, or randomly picked by computer. Other airports, all bags are opened and checked. It's a matter of the updated machines there in checked baggage.

I doubt a TSO would take something to steal. It's a federal offense for a federal employee to comprimise their position. Big time jail sentence as a possible terrorist under the Homeland Security Dep't. I'm just wondering when they pull everything out at times. If the magnet fell out onto the floor. Or the bubble wrap was opened and checked and magnetically stuck to something? Sometimes TSO's are checked for honesty and not know it. I would go back or call that particular airport and inquire with the TSA supervisor. Hope this helps.

Jim

In the last 12 years I've shipped a lot of items to the USA from Brazil and never had any

problems...just last month I shipped a sliced rock to Johnno and when he received it here

is what was includedpost-300-0-17004900-1312305578_thumb.jpg...not TSA but homeland security...

I feel certain that some of the items I've shipped have at least been electronically

inspected....when I ship gold from Brazil to the USA on the declaration form I declare

the items as"sanitized ore specimen" and never a problem....

I also order many products from the USA to be shipped to me here and EVERY package gets

opened by customs here in Brazil...no exceptions and they use their tape to re-seal

the box with and the tape is a Gov. issued item that has the customs dept. name on it....

My air travel is always International and at first I had good sturdy top of the line

luggage destroyed by the airlines....so now I use Contico trunks that are exactly the

maximum size allowed for check-in...their very sturdy but have had a couple of them

also broken....they have a hole in the front for a lock but TSA will just cut the lock

so instead I use electrical tie wraps...I have holes drilled for four ties and TSA only

replaces the four with just one of theirs and usually it also gets broken...I even

put extra ties inside on top with a note asking them to use the four but the ba$tard$

never do....

Another precaution that I do and yes it takes a little time but well worth the efffort...

is a typed list of every item in the trunk....a list of my itinerary going and coming....

and a list of their rules for anything that might cause a problem(batteries...magnets...

gold nuggets....)and all these list I tape to the inside of the lid so when they open it

they see the entire list of everything in the trunk...

A typed list from the airlines web site can also be a great help when checking in for a

flight...some of the ticket agents try to stick it to passengers by charging for over

weight or size...just be sure your within the limits and then argue like hell...

WHEW...beer time...

I know a big neo magnet will ruin a card reader or an electronic screen in a hurry. I opened a package of them at UPS and had one in my hand when I went to sign the electronic pad. The thing went SNAP to the digital equipment and fried it pronto. So I would imagine that these magnets would affect a lot of equipment in an airplane as well as in baggage near it. They will damage the card readers on an entry system, the magnetic strip on your credit cards, and degauss a GPS or digital camera too.

I would not want my laptop checked into the luggage bay with a prospector's 600# pull neo magnet in the bag next to it. So there may be several reasons besides security that the airlines would not want a powerful magnet like that on board.

Sorry Garimpo you are having problems. Maybe this info will help you.

The TSA and Customs are two different departments under Homeland Security. What customs does in your country is different here in the USA. I once went through customs in Canada. I was followed by Canadian officials due to my US security clearance in which they do not have any access too. Each country has there own set of rules or procedures.

Baggage handelers are not TSA workers. Each airport contracts out for those workers. If they hire a monkey to throw around your luggage better get Samsonite. Remember that TV commercial. LOL!

Locks: The TSO's have some seven or more keys. That will open several TSA approved locks. I suggest you get yourself some. I once placed several plastic cable ties on my luggage and the same happened to me. Now I don't bother locking them at all. It really doesn't matter as long as they are secured tightly.

Scales and weight, Here in the USA there are scales next to the ticket agent. They will tell you the maximum weight allowed for checked bags without paying an additional amount.

I remember some twenty years ago. Flying to Florida with my future wife. There were my future in-laws waiting at the GATE. Yes I said gate not baggage area. There was no security back then. For none was needed here in America. The Dep't of Homeland Security was not started until 2002. Some people now smuggle drugs and bombs in a childs teddy bear or shaving cream cans, etc., etc. Through our borders or on airplanes.

I remember all to well, the bombing of the World Trade Center (WTC). I worked very close to it. I heard the crash and seen the smoke. I am an official WTC responder. Pulling out body parts, coughing my brains out, getting hurt by an I beam. Now I am sick with documented related pulmonary and gastric problems. I take several meds and oxygen. If it takes me extra time for my loved ones to be safe going through security, so be it. I sure don't want to go through that crap again with innocent people dying.

Now where's that six pack!

Jim

Jim thanks for your help at the WTC and I hope your med. problems get better....

Through the years of going back and forth to the USA I've learned what to do and what

not to do...being prepared is the key to safe sailing...yea it's a pain in the arse

but can save more pain at the customs or ticket counter....

I've never heard about those approved locks by the TSA...what and where do you pick them

up at????

I'm with you 100% on doing what ever it takes to make a flight safe for innocent people...

Sorry about the six pack disappearing :inocent:

Thanks for the kind thoughts Garimpo. You can get those locks at Wal-Mart, Target, Ace Hardware, K Mart. Some are keyed others are combination locks. If using a hard case luggage I highly recommend using these. Even though closed they can pop open if banged hard.

Jim- 2 cans left

Jim- Thanks for your work at the WTC. Sorry to hear about your health problems, I'm sure you were exposed to some nasty s-it. I would never try to sneak something past the TSA. I want the plane to land with the same amount of tires on the ground as it took off with. The magnet was 1/2" x 2 "x 2" so if it fell out of the suitcase on a toe it would break it, if it hits the floor unwrapped it might break. It was wrapped up and taped, placed in the center of the suitcase. I live a long way from the Phoenix airport,and its very crowded, not worth the trip, I'll just buy another magnet . Dave

I know a big neo magnet will ruin a card reader or an electronic screen in a hurry. I opened a package of them at UPS and had one in my hand when I went to sign the electronic pad. The thing went SNAP to the digital equipment and fried it pronto. So I would imagine that these magnets would affect a lot of equipment in an airplane as well as in baggage near it. They will damage the card readers on an entry system, the magnetic strip on your credit cards, and degauss a GPS or digital camera too.

I would not want my laptop checked into the luggage bay with a prospector's 600# pull neo magnet in the bag next to it. So there may be several reasons besides security that the airlines would not want a powerful magnet like that on board.

My cardlock credit cards were wiped out, twice, from getting too close to a heavy magnet.

:grr01:

Jim- Thanks for your work at the WTC. Sorry to hear about your health problems, I'm sure you were exposed to some nasty s-it. I would never try to sneak something past the TSA. I want the plane to land with the same amount of tires on the ground as it took off with. The magnet was 1/2" x 2 "x 2" so if it fell out of the suitcase on a toe it would break it, if it hits the floor unwrapped it might break. It was wrapped up and taped, placed in the center of the suitcase. I live a long way from the Phoenix airport,and its very crowded, not worth the trip, I'll just buy another magnet . Dave

Take that magnet and cover it in Shoo Goo, Rhino Liner or Tool Kote. It will cushion it and keep it from breaking. If it does break the shards wont fly around causing injury and will likely just stick to the magnet and you will never know it is broken.

That is the main drawback of the neo magnets is they are very fragile. I have broken several and have found a little bit of soft plastic on the outside does wonders. I also have a set of two epoxied inside a little coil cover to mount on a detector pole. I have never had a problem with breakage when these magnets are encased. I have never kept one whole if they were not encased in sonme sort of protective coating.

It seems that each time I slide my magnet into my backpack it ruins something. I just don't do that anymore. I wonder how healthy they are for a detector that uses digital technology?

Maybe one of them said "Hey, this is kinda cool." and took it for him/her self. I wouldn't put anything past people nowadays.mad0229[1].gif

That's what I would think, I was listening to a radio program called "gun talk" and they told some stories of tsa agents helping themselves to handguns and taking them home after their shift was over. They also talked about people following up with the tsa until they were blue in the face with no results whatsoever, total stonewalling from them.