Nugget Shooter Forums

Howdy Gang,

Summer is almost over and I've had a great one to remember. Looking back at July, I was pumped to attend the 99th anniversary of Holbrook organized hunt, and planned on attending, until my wife got a hold of the calendar. This was the first year all of the family was off at the same time and so we decided to head east to visit family and friends. Granted Holbrook was on the way, but it would have to wait. With that being said, my plans for the Holbrook hunt got squashed.

Our vacation was taking us through several states, with Kansas being one of them. While we were driving and making a much needed pit stop in Stratford, TX, I looked at the map to gain an understanding of where we were going. I saw the town, Haviland, KS and quite couldn't remember why that sounded familiar. After a short lunch break, I remembered Brenham!!! Now it was a quest to see the famous strewn field that housed the famous pallasite. We made our way towards Haviland and tried to find the museum, but couldn't find it in the town of Haviland. The actual museum is in the country and not the easiest to find, but we did find it. The owner, Don Stimpson, and his wife gave us the tour and discussed meteorites for about an hour or so. I could have stayed and talked for days but knew my family was not going to like it. Don is one heck of a guy and has a great treasure on his hands. My thanks go out to him and his wife. That was the highlight of the vacation, and made my year, next to the Tucson show. Our vacation was a blast and I got hunt several parks in Missouri, and Tennessee, not to mention seeing many meteors flash across the sky. But was I going to get to hunt Holbrook before summer was over?

But all was not lost. I did manage to make it to hunt the famous field and hunt a few days to find the elusive Holbrook "turds". I decided to stay in Holbrook at the America's Best hotel or Motel (which I do not recommend, due to the roaches, and the birds in the AC unit), AKA Roach Motel, the first day and got a late start to hunt the field after driving about 4 1/2 hrs. or so. I used the sun to make the meteorites stand out better and must say it was a good day, but hard to spot the tiny pieces. Day one ended with two finds and I was stoked to find them. That night I chatted with Jim (Desertsunburn) and he decided to come on down and hunt with me the next two days.

On day two, I started out bright and early, waiting on Jim to show up. I have made several finds, but by early afternoon, I needed to cool off and had to sit in the vehicle for about an hour or so. Jim showed up and we made several more finds before calling it quits for the night. The total for day two was somewhere around 18 small pieces. I was beat and Jim was pumped to hunt. I must say hunting with someone helps motivate me and the small competition also helps for the camaraderie.

Day three was an early one, and we hunted in spots south, east, and north of the field, but ended up back in the middle of it. Jim was making some cool finds and I made the big one for the day, plus a few small pieces too. An 8 gram piece that was just calling my name, sitting on the surface. It was the highlight of the trip. By the end of the day, we were both very tired and had a long trip ahead of us.

From this awesome time I came away with two great experiences, hunting Holbrook, and seeing the Brenham meteorite museum. Here are some pics of the trip to both places. Enjoy, Jason ;)

DSC07713.jpg

DSC07712.jpg

DSC07690.jpg

DSC07687.jpg

Here are my Holbrook finds. It was hard down there and sure wished I could have made the hunt. Ruben, Jim, and Wendy did an outstanding job and appreciated all the stuff they do for the hobby. Thanks for a successful hunt, and maybe next year I'll get to attend. Jason ;)

DSC07661-1.jpg

DSC07657-1.jpg

DSC07676-1.jpg

DSC07716.jpg

Jayray, Great pics! I hadnt seen the photos of the Brenham museum before so that was cool. Congrats on your Holbrook finds, I was at the hunt, and didnt do quite as well as you did. Those pesky Holbrook's are hard to spot.

Terry Scott

I wondered why you haven't been heard from or seen for awhile. Looks like a great road trip I hope the family enjoyed themselves as much as you. Congrats on the finds. You son is sure getting tall since I last saw him at the Gold Basin outing.

What a great trip, I'd love to visit that little museum some day. And you just proved all the nay-sayers who though 40 people in one weekend at Holbrook would clean it out. Not a few weeks later and it's still giving up goodies. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Jayray,

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.... Are you going to Yelland with the guys??? Let us know how you did if you do go... Man those are some fantasic Brenham finds. Congrats on the Holbrook finds. Cant wait for the weather to cool down!!

Dave

Terry, I was drooling all over the place once we entered the museum. Don and his wife have an amazing piece of history to share and are very nice people. It was a pretty cool experience. I even got a nice little piece to Brenham to add to the collection. I also showed Don some of the Franconia's I had and he was impressed with them. I was surprised to hear that...haha.

Frank, yeah back at the computer and wishing for cooler weather...Back east I was at the in-laws with no computer access or phone access. Man was I in the dumps!

Mike, Holbrook was fun and may have to go back in a few months or so. The rains have moved some of the earth around down there.

Dave, I could only wish for some meteorites the size displayed. Don actually came in from hunting to talk with us. He was using his homemade coil and his Toyota, dragging it behind the truck just like the MM guys. Although, his design is a bit different in shape. He uses a diamond shape, rather than a square, due to the land out there. Supposedly, it doesn't break that much in that configuration.

Richard, thanks and I'll call you in tomorrow about the trip.

Here are a few more pics. The display case that you can actually touch. My oldest touching a piece of space. And my youngest "seeing" her self in a Brenham. I thought all Brenham's were pallasites, but this one is solid with out the crystals.

Jason ;)

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

Hi Jason,

Congrats on your finds. Now we know why we didn't see you at the Anniversary Hunt. You were missed. Hope to see you in the field again in the future.

Ben

Jayson,

I have some nice pictures of the 8 grammer. I sent them to you a few weeks ago, but because your email was bouncing, don't know if you got them.

Anyone wants to see them, email me off list and I'll send them....they are not compressed.

Jim

Ben, I was trying real hard to make it, but the family plans worked out too. So it was a win, win situation as mentioned earlier. It would have been a blast I'm sure. It's always nice to get others perspective on hunting, finds, and such. Not to mention just the normal chit chat about meteorites.

Jim, I haven't or at least I don't think I have. My email was overflowing, with about 853 email messages. No worries though, I have the real thing to look at... :yuk-yuk:

Looking forward to the hunt soon coming up. Let's hope for finds all around.

Jason ;)

G'Day Jay

Awesome story! Great vacation and a fantastic family. Thoroughly enjoyed your report. Oh and by the way, I still use, to this present day, those knee pads you brought out to Gold Basin

Johnno, thanks! Glad those worked out for you. I may have some other stuff too, but won't know until I get the garage cleaned out...That may take some time. :nutty::yikes: :whaaaa:

Jason ;)