Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sanin92

Is This Rock an LL-Chondrite?

Rubin you can tell from a photo if the piece in question is definitely an LL type meteorite ??? That was the topic question that was asked.

A specific classification? No way, someone may be able to get close but not likely....

Sani,

Wet/Dry sand paper works pretty good. Start with something like 150 grit and work up toward 600 or 1000 grit. It takes a little time but you end up with a nice polished surface. Do that and then take your pictures outside in natural light.

You filings are likely from the outer surface. The streak should be done on your clean windowed surface. Got a coffee cup laying around? The ring on the bottom of the cup is not normally glazed. Take your window and rub it on that ring to get a color. Will take you less than 5 minutes to do.

Jim

Thanks on the tip, I did that today and it made a huge difference. I did the streak test with the windowed surface and I got a very light brown. When I polished the rock the inside started to show signs of rusting, small areas had some brownish-red spots. It really made my rock look like the one on http://www.saharamet.com/meteorite/gallery/chondrite/ ,the ll chondrite Dar al Gani 860. If you want me to post pictures tell me and I will, but I think I will put this rock to the side for now and start looking for others, hopefully I will find one that everybody will tell me is a meteorite. I dont want to waste my money on testing it if most people think it is not a meteorite. Hopefully I'll find one, do you think trying to find cold finds in the mojave desert if a good idea because thats what I want to do next.

Gotcha (and Jim), thanks for the clarification.

That was something I noticed, too, Jim, and mentioned it in my first post. The cracks on the surface do not appear to be contraction cracks, but rather the rock itself cracking apart. This is an interesting rock and it is something I wouldn't mind looking at in person, but from the pictures we have been presented I'm more inclined to say "nice meteorwrong" than anything.

Sani, I live in southern California, too. If you ever make it out by the 210/15 interchange I'm in the area and would be happy to look at your find over a beer and slice of pizza.

Thanks, would the offer still be around if I found another possible metoerite(somthing that has Large magnetic metal flecks, and passes all of the other tests), because I really just want to put this one to the side because everyone is saying its a meteorwrong. Also are there mineral stores that carry metoerites, Ive only seen meteorites online. I recall several that used to exist a couple years ago but they are all gone, are there any you know of in existence?

sanin92 heres a link to a rock shop in Arizona that has meteorites for sale.

www.artfromgod.com

Phone # is on website.

Yea, the offer is always good. It's always better to see something in person if the opportunity is available. As to where to purchase meteorites, a good place to start is looking into the IMCA, or I'd be happy to send you a few links via private message to dealers I've dealt with (or their eBay account names). I would avoid "mineral shops" since they tend to overprice meteorites.

Thanks, would the offer still be around if I found another possible metoerite(somthing that has Large magnetic metal flecks, and passes all of the other tests), because I really just want to put this one to the side because everyone is saying its a meteorwrong. Also are there mineral stores that carry metoerites, Ive only seen meteorites online. I recall several that used to exist a couple years ago but they are all gone, are there any you know of in existence?