Nugget Shooter Forums

Volcanic activity in S California?

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting.

Paul

That area in particular is a known geothermal production area. It appears by the imaging from the radar, the producers could have been venting a well or pipeline for clean out or repair. Course then again, there was an earthquake that day, so maybe there could have been some natural venting going on. :shrug:

Its nice to belive in our news and all the other horse crap tellin us about the new i-phone, how many celebs are getting divorced or all about another country its plastered everywhere but when it come to important stuff in our backyards you dont hear donkey spit. makes you wonder how much actually gets wiped away that you never see. its nice to have a place like this to get some news. :spinnin:

Since I only live about 40 miles from Pisgah Crater I decided to take a drive out there to see what was really going on. I have explored the lava tubes and general area around the crater for years. There is nothing out of the ordinary going on at the crater. I walked to the top of it and even crawled down inside the tubes again and nothing looked any different from before.

HOWEVER, there are two things that could be the cause of the heat signature seen on the radar. Just to the west of the crater there is a HUGE Borax mining operation visible on Google Earth. While I was on top of the crater today there was some sort of blast/pressure release that occurred a few times at the mine. Not sure what it was but it was not very big.

Now for the AWESOME part................ to the southeast of the crater is Lavic Dry Lake. This dry lake bed is used by the military as a bombing range for the fighter jets out of Twenty Nine Palms. Usually they do their bombing runs in the middle of the night (10:00PM and later) but they were actually dropping ordinance today around noon or so. It actually scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting it, so when that thing went off I almost soiled myself. On the way out there was an Edison worker parked watching the runs as well. I stopped and asked him how long he had been there and he told me that he had been in that same spot for 3 days in a row working on some generators and the military had been bombing all 3 days he was there.

Maybe this is what caused the come-and-go heat signature. Just a thought.

Since I only live about 40 miles from Pisgah Crater I decided to take a drive out there to see what was really going on. I have explored the lava tubes and general area around the crater for years. There is nothing out of the ordinary going on at the crater. I walked to the top of it and even crawled down inside the tubes again and nothing looked any different from before.

HOWEVER, there are two things that could be the cause of the heat signature seen on the radar. Just to the west of the crater there is a HUGE Borax mining operation visible on Google Earth. While I was on top of the crater today there was some sort of blast/pressure release that occurred a few times at the mine. Not sure what it was but it was not very big.

Now for the AWESOME part................ to the southeast of the crater is Lavic Dry Lake. This dry lake bed is used by the military as a bombing range for the fighter jets out of Twenty Nine Palms. Usually they do their bombing runs in the middle of the night (10:00PM and later) but they were actually dropping ordinance today around noon or so. It actually scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting it, so when that thing went off I almost soiled myself. On the way out there was an Edison worker parked watching the runs as well. I stopped and asked him how long he had been there and he told me that he had been in that same spot for 3 days in a row working on some generators and the military had been bombing all 3 days he was there.

Maybe this is what caused the come-and-go heat signature. Just a thought.

By the looks of the plume in video, they musta been dropping a cluster of MOABs, if it was only ordinance.