Nugget Shooter Forums

Fort Sumner, New Mexico

Can anybody give me a hint where to search for meteorites in De Baca County, New Mexico?

Thanks.

sundownr

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/index.php

Just enter your search criteria and all known finds in any area you want to research comes up. It is a great place to start your research in any area.

A little futher south in Chavez, Roosevelt or Lea counties will be much better. More meteorites have been found between Portales and Roswell than any place else in the USA. There is EXCELLENT ground between Jal and Roswell and some mighty good ground from Roswell to Portales. Lots of finds there.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/index.php

More meteorites have been found between Portales and Roswell than any place else in the USA. There is EXCELLENT ground between Jal and Roswell and some mighty good ground from Roswell to Portales. Lots of finds there.

That's probably because more hours have been spent in that area looking for meteorites then anywhere in the USA. The name Skip Wilson keeps popping up in my head. Still a great area anyway you look at it.

Steve

That's probably because more hours have been spent in that area looking for meteorites then anywhere in the USA. The name Skip Wilson keeps popping up in my head. Still a great area anyway you look at it.

Steve

Actually the best (oldest) ground is far south of where Skip hunts. No doubt that he is a big factor in the sheer numbers of mets found in this area but the ground is the best in the continental US for meteorite hunting, bar none. More dry lakes and blowouts on the oldest geological age as anywhere.

Not only has Skip found a bunch of mets in this area but dozens of meteorite hunters have found mets at many locations in this area. South towards Jal especially. There is a group from some university hunting around this area at all times and many dozens of new finds waiting to be classified at UNM. I am told that there are 300 new meteorites waiting in the wings right now!

With all the meteorites that have been found in that area. it's amazing not a single lunar has been located yet. Skip has been hunting that area for a couple decades at least and zilch,nada and absolutely nothing as far as lunars go. :shrug: :hmmmmm: :???:

Steve

With all the meteorites that have been found in that area. it's amazing not a single lunar has been located yet. Skip has been hunting that area for a couple decades at least and zilch,nada and absolutely nothing as far as lunars go. :shrug: :hmmmmm: :???:

Steve

I'll bet that will change someday. There may even be one in the works as we speak. I know there is a new pallasite that has been found as well as a couple of big irons. Someone is bound to score a lunar down there sooner or later.

Thanks for the information guys... I understood Roosevelt County is better but with so much private land it is hard to search without trespassing. Fort Sumner (De Baca County) has a good state park with electricity and water with lots of open BLM land. That is why I wanted to check it out. Granted it may be a dry run but being old and decrepit I just enjoy getting out.

sundownr

Thanks for the information guys... I understood Roosevelt County is better but with so much private land it is hard to search without trespassing. Fort Sumner (De Baca County) has a good state park with electricity and water with lots of open BLM land. That is why I wanted to check it out. Granted it may be a dry run but being old and decrepit I just enjoy getting out.

sundownr

Sounds like a plan!

Keep in mind that Roosevelt Co. has about 10X the public land as DeBaca, and much better meteorite hunting. Maybe not the electricity and water in that particular State Park though.

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/more/geographic_sciences/100k_index/100k_alpha_list0.html

The yellow areas on the maps are wide open. Go to any of them and hunt, camp, or just relax. No permission needed. You will find Roosevelt has a lot more to offer. And as far as private land is concerned it is the BEST and is usually very easy to get permission. I have never had problems in any area with getting permission. You should not have any trouble hunting anywhere you want in Roosevelt Co. by making three or four phone calls if you are interested in hunting the prime ground.

And most of the choice blowouts are BLM/State land in the oil fields. I have never had any trouble just picking a spot and going to it. Just pretend that you own the place. Heck everyone else does.