Nugget Shooter Forums
frank c

NOTICE for ALL OLD POOPS

Spent a 2nd early morning at this small patch. Had the "Wake Up" call when I jumped out of the jeep and walked a few feet to survey my approach, less than 3 feet away was a Mohave Green 1st one I've encountered this summer. Needless to say I jumped back at the same time he decided to skittdattle right back into his hole instead of strike. I don't wear snake guards, BUT I do generally carry them in my vehicle. (LOL's) So I proceeded to make my wife put them on for the days hunt.

What a wake up call on my part only had 1 cup of coffee :unsure: , (I'm used to a few of them to get going) and the sun was barely comming over the mountain (the ol tired eyes weren't speckin too well yet) Its a damm good thing my other half spotted it and yelled at me as I was leading her around to advise her where to begin hunting or I quite possibly would have stepped on the lil Sh#T on my next step and gotten NAILED GOOD.

He was faster than ME fer sure this time.

WHEW!! TAKE HEED YA ALL, Summers here so its time to slow down a bit out there and pay CLOSER ATTENTION to where a person it going.

ESPECIALLY if youv'e only had 1 cup o coffee instead of yer usual 3 or 4

Aloha Frank,

Whew, that must have got your pumping!:tisk-tisk: Being in Hawaii for a week means that I can go hiking and not have to wear snake gardz. Checked on a couple of my old geocaches and left a couple of Vegas goodies in them for my fellow geocachers. Cannot believe they are still active after 8 years. Met a couple of guys out in the hills with metal detectors and actually gave them a heads up on a location that I hunted way back in the good old days of coin and cache hunting. Hope they find something good.

Nothing to report in the way of finding meteorites or gold but I sure am working on my tan and taste buds. Really going to miss all the fresh food available here once I get back to Vegas.

Aloha and stay safe out there guys.

Stan aka Kaimi

Stan, enjoy yourself and get in touch when you get back to the states.

Frank- I'm sure your Jeep appreciated you giving up your snakegardz, but I gotta tell you tho, I've never seen a Jeep that needed the protection against snakes!! Glad you avoided it, that is a VERY NASTY snake. scared[1].gifThey're also the ones with attitude, they don't even have the decency to rattle. Dave

Was out geo caching last thursday on the road to cottonwood cove. Just as we got back to the paved road I look out the right side window and there is a snake about ten feet away. My friend has never seen a live one so I pointed to it, out he jumps to check it out. I had to yell at him to stop.

post-1061-0-04413800-1311035651_thumb.jp

Snake was just a little over 2 feet so I kept him 5 feet away and never took my eye off the snake. He got to hear him rattle and as he moved around and got to see the snake follow his movement. I never mind seeing them ahead of time and watching them, it's the ones I almost step on that get the heart beating.

I saw the biggest western diamondback I ever saw just over the top of the mountain on cottonwood rd. goin to lake mohave a couple years ago right near 6 foot and fat as hell.

Enough of this National Geographics and Dr Phil- where's the gold? ;-)

Shep

G'Day Shep

Where the hell have you been? You have been awfully quiet, maybe you're the one with all the gold :inocent:

Cheers

Johnno

Enough of this National Geographics and Dr Phil- where's the gold? ;-)

Shep

:hahaha: :hahaha:

Glad you're OK Frank, and good post!

HEY SHEP HERE IT IS IT USED TO BE AT THE SNAKES HOUSE NOW ITS AT MY HOUSE :whoope:

post-562-0-97188300-1311045098_thumb.jpg

Was out geo caching last thursday on the road to cottonwood cove. Just as we got back to the paved road I look out the right side window and there is a snake about ten feet away. My friend has never seen a live one so I pointed to it, out he jumps to check it out. I had to yell at him to stop.<snip>

Cottonwood Cove was a special place to go when I was young. Starting back about 1972 we would drop the boat in at Cottonwood, load it up with a weeks worth of camping gear and then make our way upriver (uplake, actually) about 5 miles and camp out in the wilds. We would beach the boat way up in one of the deep coves, and make camp. We went for a week every Easter and Thanksgiving for many years, and even kept a boat in Searchlight. Haven't been there since 1987, but I've heard it's changed a great deal.

That was a good sized rattler, sure would have got my attention, too :WOW:

Mike

Ya'll leave those baby snakes alone and let'm grow up like this big boy from Oklahoma....

post-300-0-01729800-1311073613_thumb.jpg

Caught near Oktaha... just outside of Muskogee...just north of Checotah.

The reason for snake boots during dove season. Just under 8 foot and weighs 89 pounds.

I have only been prospecting for about 7 months now, but I have been geocaching and hunting for many years. This is the very first time in all the years I have been doing this that I have felt the need to wear snake boots. It's funny, being from smack-dab in the middle of the Mojave Desert I expected to see a lot more snakes in the past than I actually have. Last week in the Coolgardie area out here I saw 6, count em' 6, mojave greens, one speckled rattler, 2 sidewinders, 2 Coachwhips(red racers), and 3 gopher snakes. For the first time ever I had serious doubts about even getting out of the vehicle. After that day I took a trip to Bass Pro and picked up a good 16" tall set of snake boots and I wear them faithfully now

Even worse, they are really thick in the higher elevations this year, too. We went deer scouting in the Holcomb Valley area near Big Bear and the Osa Meadows area of the Eastern Sierras and on both trips spotted at least a half-dozen snakes. Be careful out there everybody. Gold is only awesome if you live long enough to enjoy it!!!

Holcomb Valley, Lucky Baldwin areas, thats where my gold fever started 1979-1980

Saw that post, didn't know it was the same outing, my bad. Nice gold, but you better get the Mrs's over some soon, or you're gonna find your honeydo list getting longer ;-).

I wear those bloody snake guards summer and winter, just habit, I guess; but they also help keep the cactus, velcro seeds, the morning dew all off.

Johnno, it's been awhile. Have gotten a few here and there since last saw you. This time of year, I'm up to my yengyang in work, besides just got trailer back to normal after last little excursion.

Frank, may get to check out the little gold buddy this weekend. Hope arm holds up.

Shep

Shep get the grandson to come for a visit. You can fit him and the puffer on the ATV and use HIS arm to activate !!!!!

Franks gold is even prettier when you get to see it in person like I did.

Great job Frank.

Patrick.....

Yikes Yikes Yikes I was scared and I'm way up here in Alaska LOL...Geo :olddude:

Seen quite a few snakes in the hills around Bullhead City, Arizona. More than I have seen the the last 10 years. New snakeguardsare on order as I type this....

I've had my guards for 6 years. Always in my prospecting bucket. This year I'm wearin them instead of storing them.

Been here short of 2 years and had two rattlers on the property. Neighbor said they were diamond back coon tail….I don’t know, except I don’t like them.

The second snake was behind the screen door that had been held open at a 90 degree angle and as the wife opened the front door to step out she could see part of it under the screen door and she nearly expired. Now, I’m the one that may expire at her hands if I don’t come up with a fix.

Last Friday took my 8 year old grand-son to spend the night at a ranch 16 miles out of town...

his two grand-ma's were getting jittery so Sat. A.M. I went and picked him up and brought him

back to the city...that afternoon a rattler bit and killed the ranch dog...now I'm sure catching

it....

Now for your problem...try keeping the screen door closed....get a snake savvy dog...get a snake

savvy wife....don't leave the house at night without a flash light...watch where you step....

and if none of this is acceptable get a new wife...

Hope this works...good luck

Buy a big bag of garlic smash the heads up and scatter them around the door areas, it works for vampires it otta work for snakes.

Seriously now there should be something that vipers dislike to use around the property.??? Maybe start eradicating all the rodents that frequent your immediate area.

I've been using rat traps and peanut butter to get rid of the ground squirrels here and thats working. If theres not much small game for the vipers they may shy away to somewhere else.

Garimpo, getting a new wife sounds exhilarating but a little impracticable at my age. (I think you stirred a few old fantasies in me).

Frank, that’s a great idea, although I know they like the little critters I didn’t put 2 and 2 together. I’ll definitely work on that….thanks guys.

Cat(s). They are the ultimate killing machines. Anything that moves. Once they clean up, nothing left for snakes to eat.

Chickens are good too. Snakes hate chickens.