Nugget Shooter Forums

Finding Nothing In NC

Hello everyone! I live in Buncombe County, NC. I have been reading that there is placer gold in the French Broad River and Cane Creek. I have just recently started panning. I got the garret panning kit with the super sluice and 3 other pans plus a classifier, tweezers and glass combo and 2 gold vials . I have been to the French Broad River several times now. I have not had a chance to make it out to cane creek yet. I have not found even a small flake of gold. Does anyone know if the claims of gold in these rivers is true or have I been looking for something that was never there in the first place. I do have fun doing this with my girlfriend and I'm not really looking to make any money but I think it would be a lot more fun for us both to maybe find some color now and then. Thanks for any help you can provide me!

Hello everyone! I live in Buncombe County, NC. I have been reading that there is placer gold in the French Broad River and Cane Creek. I have just recently started panning. I got the garret panning kit with the super sluice and 3 other pans plus a classifier, tweezers and glass combo and 2 gold vials . I have been to the French Broad River several times now. I have not had a chance to make it out to cane creek yet. I have not found even a small flake of gold. Does anyone know if the claims of gold in these rivers is true or have I been looking for something that was never there in the first place. I do have fun doing this with my girlfriend and I'm not really looking to make any money but I think it would be a lot more fun for us both to maybe find some color now and then. Thanks for any help you can provide me!

I've read some reports of gold found in both, but no exact locations.

I would think that the further south you were on the French broad River the better your chances would be, the northern portion of the river is not exactly in the mineral belt, but the southern portion is.

I will sent you a PM with a link to where you may find further info or help with your hunt.

Skip

Join a club! :thumbsupanim

Carolina Slate Belt Chapter of GPAA

Aberdeen, NC USA

Contact Jim Jones

Ph: 1-910 215-3606

E-Mai: bedrockjim@earthlink.net

Meets 2nd Sunday of the month at 3:00 pm at Jims, Gems and Gold, 10327 E. Hwy 211, Aberdeen.

G.P.A.A. of Franklin

WNC Otto Chapter, (Franklin, NC)

E-Mail: sppressley@citcom.net

1-828-369-9853

Meets 3rd thur. monthly @ 7.30 pm

G.P.A.A. of Matthews

Matthews Chapter (Matthews, N.C.)

Ph: 1-704-299-2808

E-Mail: glenncoleman43@gmail.com

Meets 2nd Wednesday night each month. 7:30pm @ Mint Hill Historic Society, 7601 Matthews Mint Hill Rd., Mint Hill, NC.

G.P.A.A. Polly Spout

Polly Spout Chapter, (Marion, NC)

1694 Polly Spout Rd.

Marion, N.C. 28752

Ph: 1-828-738-0340

http://home.wnclink.com/gemmine

E-Mail: sorgcreations@msn.com

The next meeting will be at Golden Valley Camground, 680 NC Rt. 226, Casar, NC, for information and Directions call 828-738-0340 or 704-538-8047, or e-mail us. Bring covered dish and enjoy the meeting, bring family and friends.

G.P.A.A. of Salsibury

Piedmont ChapterPiedmont Chapter, (Salsibury, N.C.)

1-704-637-3033

First meeting April 28, 2001

Mountain Creek Prospecting Group

Ph: 1-704-463-7749

E-Mail: Mtman1849@yahoo.com

This is a group for anyone wishing to learn about prospecting in NC. Mountain Creek Gold Mine is one of Central North Carolina's best kept prospecting secrets. This is the place to come if you are looking for real North Carolina gold. Nuggets are rare the largest to date 1/2 oz. but are found on occassion. Fine gold is however plentiful. Founded Jan 26, 2004 with 61 members and growing! If you would like more information please email or call us.

Vein Mountain Recreational Miners Club

The Vein Mountain Recreational Miners Club provides, through our membership, the shared knowledge and properties for recreational prospecting. If you are new to prospecting or a seasoned miner this is the club for you. Our membership spans from the Northeast to the Midwest and through the South.

Our Club digs and Miners Meet Weekends are at the Lucky Strike Gold and Gem mine, Vein Mountain in Marion, NC. Plan a vacation to meet with us some time soon.

• 11 years later...
On 7/17/2011 at 7:26 PM, Au Seeker said:

I've read some reports of gold found in both, but no exact locations.

I would think that the further south you were on the French broad River the better your chances would be, the northern portion of the river is not exactly in the mineral belt, but the southern portion is.

I will sent you a PM with a link to where you may find further info or help with your hunt.

Skip

I would be interested in learning where you might suggest.  I lived in Otto, NC, near Franklin, and had small amounts of gold on my property. With the intention of moving back to the area, I am interested in picking up this activity again.

Thank you in advance.

5 hours ago, Valerie said:

I would be interested in learning where you might suggest.  I lived in Otto, NC, near Franklin, and had small amounts of gold on my property. With the intention of moving back to the area, I am interested in picking up this activity again.

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately all of my info on that area is on my old computer which I cannot access any longer.

Here's a link to some info for gold in North Carolina.

http://iowagold.com/WHERE_TO_FIND_GOLD_USA_PAGES/north_carolina_gold.htm

Valerie—recommend you open your own thread on this subject.  If the gold you’re interested in is on your property, then describe where you find the gold such as in a creek on the property.

I do recommend you contact a local club.  They will have better local info.  Most of us are located in the desert southwest, which the mining is a bit different—dry washing and metal detecting.