Nugget Shooter Forums

99th year Anniversary Holbrook Hunt – A Huge Success!

99th year Anniversary Holbrook Hunt – A Huge Success!

Hi all,

While there are still some hunters in the field I can honestly say this has been a great success. Believe it or not, this was the most successful hunt I have personally witnessed in Holbrook. One hunter walked away with nearly a pound of beautiful - 99 year old -Holbrook meteorites. Yes, he did win the “largest find” trophy!

We had world class hunters, Nick Gessler, Bob Verish, Moni Waiblinger as well as Erik and Ben Fisler that came to share their knowledge and expertise with new hunters. A few of these future “Hall of Fame” Hunters shocked and inspired us all with the shear number and size of their finds! I have great footage of the spectacular specimens found!

Over 50 people attended and 47 participated in yesterdays hunt. Imagine this, all but 10 found one or more meteorites. However, NO ONE went home empty handed.

Except for Larry’s mutli-pound specimen of a few years ago this hunt was the most successful in the last 10-20 years – at least that I know of…..

I am currently editing footage of this hunt that will go down as one to be remembered.

I won’t spoil the surprise just yet but I think everyone will be shocked at how much was recovered and how the “Mighty Holbrook Strewn Field” is still giving up!

I’m happy to report that I witnessed NO arguing, No trash left behind, NO trouble whatsoever!

So, thanks to all that attended and thanks for making us all look good.

Stay tuned for video and photos!

Ruben, Thank you very much for the opportunity to hunt Holbrook with you and all the experts that joined you in making the rest of us novices welcome. I learned a TON from all of you! I only found one specimen, but I was absolutely tickled with that find, small as it was. It was my first "real" hunt and my first find. I am hooked, but sadly have to say, I wish I had started this as a hobby when I was much younger! :)

Thanks again.

Troy Ball, Prescott, AZ

Ruben, Thank you very much for the opportunity to hunt Holbrook with you and all the experts that joined you in making the rest of us novices welcome. I learned a TON from all of you! I only found one specimen, but I was absolutely tickled with that find, small as it was. It was my first "real" hunt and my first find. I am hooked, but sadly have to say, I wish I had started this as a hobby when I was much younger! :)

Thanks again.

Troy Ball, Prescott, AZ

Hi all,

I've just received the exact figures from Jim and Wendy Wooddell - who were keeping track.

So, here are a few numbers for you to think about as I prepare a short video about our hunt.

Over 50 people attended.

45 people hunted on Saturday.

26 people found one or more meteorites.

13 people found their first meteorite ever!

16 people found their first Holbrook meteorite ever!

19 found a good time but no meteorites. (However, everyone left with a Holbrook meteorite.)

82 total finds and 440 grams of meteorites were found on Saturday alone!

Everyone (even if they found nothing) went home with a certificate of participation, at least one meteorite and three hunters also left with trophies for spectacular finds!

I hope we'll see some photos soon from Bob, Ben, Jim, Mark and others.....

I should have the video ready by tomorrow!

Thanks to all that attended and to JIM AND WENDY - for all their help!

Stay tuned!

Wish to add my thanks to Ruben for making the Holbrook Hunt possible and very enjoyable. Also thanks to Jim Wooddell for all his work. I attended as a "newbie", having hunted for several years on my own with absolutely no luck. Erik Fisler changed all that for me Saturday morning when he answered some of my questions, and seeing I was a newbie, pointed out an area I should hunt, and more importantly "how" I should hunt. Within an hour I had found a 1.3 gram piece, and a little later two more, totaling 3.3 grams. A big thank you Erik. As Fred Mason said above, I couldn't be a happier guy.

I have to say thanks to Ruben Garcia for organizing a very enjoyable Holbrook hunt. Just the chance to spend time talking to some of the most brilliant meteorite hunters in the world was worth the trip! During the evenings I spent hours talking to Robert Verish and Nicholas Gessler about meteorites, and some of their fascinating experiences. It's not often you meet a man who found a martian meteorite! Gessler told stories of his dry lake adventures, including the time he found of hundreds of meteorites on Roach Dry lake over a three day period. I tried to glean as much information from those two men as possible about meteorite hunting and they patiently answered my questions along with everyone else's. Ruben was a gracious master of ceremonies, introducing people and holding court in the Motel 6 picnic area, along with a show and tell session on Holbrook stones to prepare people for the upcoming hunt. I also enjoyed meeting Jim and Wendy for the first time along with Erik and Ben Fisler. Jim and Wendy worked tirelessly to ensure the hunt went off without a hitch. Erik and Ben Fisler are extremely experienced Holbrook hunters, and took the time to coach and point out areas to hunt to anyone that asked. I also got to meet many other people who share our same passion for meteorites. Some people even flew in from England!

Hunt day came and all seemed to have a great time, with the hunters spreading out over the strewn field and finding some amazing stones. I found one small complete stone and Rob C. came away with two small stones. I also found three of the famed Holbrook marbles. I was able to check another strewn field off my personal find list. That evening at the award ceremony, it was inspiring to see how many people had found their first meteorite ever!! Of course it was fitting that Erik came away with prize stone as he is a resident expert along with his father Ben. Richard Garcia's 47 grammer whole stone was an amazing find in itself and was by far the best looking in my opinion. We also got to visit Meteor Crater for the first time, which was awesome!

So Thanks again to Ruben, Jim and Wendy for their time and effort, and I look forward to future hunts..

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z423/ocotilloscott/141a8c20.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z423/ocotilloscott/5a5aa018.jpg

My link My sons video is done for the hunt.Follow the my link and stay to the very end,this happened on at the Salt River bridge on Rte 77.

Hi Abe,

Wow, that is quite a video! Your son did a great job not just of filming an event, but he really captures the feel of hunting out there.

Awesome. Very professionally done.

Ben

Hi Abe,

Wow, that is quite a video! Your son did a great job not just of filming an event, but he really captures the feel of hunting out there.

Awesome. Very professionally done.

Ben

Thanks Ben, Abe really liked your comment.He worked hard to get it just right. I'm pretty proud of him.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fred. My son strives to appeal to as many people as possible and is very good at putting all the elements of the subject in his minds eye.We are at work on a huge meteorite story that should be done later this month.