Nugget Shooter Forums

My step father was a telephone pioneer in New Mexico. He is 86 years old this year and he worked for Mountain Bell for 35 years. He brought me a gift the other day. I thought you might get a kick out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a party line in Alaska 1957, you would pick up the receiver and if someone was on, you hung up and tried later. Dave

I remember the party line from New Mexico in 1975. Everyone in rural Hidalgo Co. was on one line. That was about 5-6 phone lines outside of the Animas "mega plex". Folks that did not share a line with someone else were considered "upscale". It meant that they did not have to drive 15 miles of dirt road to get to their home.

Folks used to be 3 families to a phone. Now each person has three phones, a beeper, a computer and an ankle monitor.

And we thought we were the only kids that were deprived. We only went into town on weekends, it was an hour each way. I remember when I got my first mobil phone,the big box that sat under the car seat, what a treat being able to talk without having to find a pay phone.I think my cost was $350 per month and worth every penny. Dave

And we thought we were the only kids that were deprived. We only went into town on weekends, it was an hour each way. I remember when I got my first mobil phone,the big box that sat under the car seat, what a treat being able to talk without having to find a pay phone.I think my cost was $350 per month and worth every penny. Dave

Back in about 1982-83 they came out with the mobile phones in the truck that honked your horn. I was building homes all over the Southwest and got me one of those. Every time I stepped out of the truck and walked onto a site my horn would start honking. I couldn't get anything done and because I had the silly phone people EXPECTED YOU TO ANSWER. I hated it and it was as expensive as hell.

One afternoon I was having a very hard time with a customer. We were in an heated discussion that meant several thousand dollars. The horn kept honking. I did my best to handle the situation but every few seconds I would get another call and the horn kept honking. It was ridiculous. When the ordeal was over I went home and ripped that phone out by the roots and cancelled my service. I hired a nice girl to answer the office phone and keep me organized. It was a giant step in the right direction. I refused to own a cell phone until just recently. Now, with so many buildings across the state to manage I must have one, but I still try not to let it control my life. If I answer the phone each time it rings it DOES control my life, and if I dont then people get all offended that I didn't answer!

I remember back in the 50's being on a 3 party line.That was in Southern Kalifornia. I guess they call those the GOOD OLE DAYS.

Milk was 25 cents a gallon and the Helms truck came by everyday with fresh donuts and bread..