Nugget Shooter Forums

Mineral Collection!

Hi to all! In addition to hunting meteorites I've enjoyed gathering many different earthborn rock and mineral specimens over the years as well. So I've put together some photos of some of my nicer things. I prefer to carve specimens from the ground myself, the calcite, copper, sulpher, celestite, and fluorite I've been able to do just that, but some things from places like India, Russia, and Australia, I obviously bought at a mineral show my Geology club hosts every year. Don't know if I'll ever be able to finance a roadtrip to the Ural mntns. in Russia, let alone git access to the mines there.Anyways, I hope some folks here enjoy these pics, oh, and by the way, I got a lot of nice pure crystal sulpher crystals and can get lots more, if anybody would like to get something from me, write me and we can work something out, but here's the pics!

post-25539-0-18658200-1310537631_thumb.j

post-25539-0-78341300-1310537634_thumb.j

post-25539-0-65658200-1310537637_thumb.j

post-25539-0-05146400-1310537642_thumb.j

post-25539-0-26409200-1310537645_thumb.j

post-25539-0-79901300-1310537647_thumb.j

post-25539-0-76775000-1310537650_thumb.j

post-25539-0-48629600-1310537653_thumb.j

post-25539-0-69592600-1310537655_thumb.j

post-25539-0-26202100-1310537658_thumb.j

You have some nice specimens. I agree with you that not everything has to be aesthetic. Can't see much malachite,if any on the 4th picture.

Steve

Hey Steve, That 4th pic is definately Malachite, it's from the Prince Alfred Mine in Belron, S. Australia. I won it as a door prize at a club meeting last year. I belong to a group called "The Mid-western Mineralogical and Lapidary Society" of S. E. Michigan. It's a "micro" piece, and to really see and appreciate it one needs to hold & look at it with a 10 X triplet. And all the pics are only about 25% of my entire collection. I've never thought to photogragh and write precise labels for everything till I joined "Nuggetshooter Forums", and signed up tp "Photobucket" per Bill's suggestion. And all the picture takin, and label writin, and label writin, and picture takin..........it's a lot of work!!!! And I'm so busy with everything else I do.What we as humans need is a 36hr. day.So if we slowed the earths spin by approx. 8% we'd get 36hr. days(give or take). So we need to get the planet slowed down abit, quick, call NASA! But try to copy that pic somehow so you can zoom in on it, you'll see it, trust me.

Frank

HI Frank-

No doubt there's malachite on that specimen and I'm not questioning you at all. It's just that malachite is somewhat common and very readily observed in most specimens. I guess since it's a micro piece ,it's just hard to see it. I am very familiar with malachite specimens from Arizona and Africa so I am used to seeing mostly green on them. Neat looking though regardless.

I notice your interests include the ugly, old rocks. I read an article about how two prospectors made a small windfall traveling to some place where geologists found the oldest rocks on earth. Can't seem to remember exactly where it was although Canada seems to stand out. Anyway- they hired a helicopter to fly into that area, collected them and sold at a huge mark up. They did very well I would imagine.

I'd like to see more photos of your collection.

Maybe if a really large asteroid struck the earth counter-clockwise, the earth would slow down so we could have a 36 hour day. Just think, we could kill two birds with one stone- a longer day and a lot of meteorites... :rolleyes: ;)

Steve

HI Frank-

No doubt there's malachite on that specimen and I'm not questioning you at all. It's just that malachite is somewhat common and very readily observed in most specimens. I guess since it's a micro piece ,it's just hard to see it. I am very familiar with malachite specimens from Arizona and Africa so I am used to seeing mostly green on them. Neat looking though regardless.

I notice your interests include the ugly, old rocks. I read an article about how two prospectors made a small windfall traveling to some place where geologists found the oldest rocks on earth. Can't seem to remember exactly where it was although Canada seems to stand out. Anyway- they hired a helicopter to fly into that area, collected them and sold at a huge mark up. They did very well I would imagine.

I'd like to see more photos of your collection.

Maybe if a really large meteorite struck the earth counter-clockwise, the earth would slow down so we could have a 36 hour day. Just think, we could kill two birds with one stone- a longer day and a lot of meteorites... :rolleyes: ;)

Steve

Hey Steve ,ya my little Malachite piece has a vein of iron right through it. Next, how can you say "ugly!", slates, schists, gneisses, phyllites, quartzite, hornfels, and migmatites, just to name a few, are absolutly beautiful! (especially if one can afford to have petrographic slices cut and preped from them). And 3rd. I believe your thinking of the massive slabs of migatite and gabbro bedrock exposed on the Lake Superior shoreline, (canadian side), and also the Ierland and scottland coasts have some early earth bedrock exposed. And finally.When I make time to photograph and label more, I will definately post more pics. But right now I'm working out the logistics of another weeklong excursion Oscoda co./Ogemaw co. area to find me some more Rose City fragments.

And 3rd. I believe your thinking of the massive slabs of migatite and gabbro bedrock exposed on the Lake Superior shoreline, (canadian side), and also the Ierland and scottland coasts have some early earth bedrock exposed.

Hi Frank-

I do recall watching a program on the History channel within the past two or three years where they showed an outcropping of the oldest rocks known. It had to have been in Great Britain someplace,just not 100% sure of the exact location. They arrived by helicopter too so that fits in with the story about the two prospectors who made a killing selling those old rocks.

Steve

Hi Frank-

I do recall watching a program on the History channel within the past two or three years where they showed an outcropping of the oldest rocks known. It had to have been in Great Britain someplace,just not 100% sure of the exact location. They arrived by helicopter too so that fits in with the story about the two prospectors who made a killing selling those old rocks.

Steve

Hey Steve, I believe the series on Hist. ch. was "How The Earth Was Made", and then, on occasion science ch. will run a random episode of an older series called "Geologic Journey" and certain episodes of both series mentions , as you said England, the British Isles. Ireland, and Scottland on their eastern shores that face the north atlantic. But, I say, I say, I say, I say, I could be wrong.:thumbsupanim

Hi Frank-

No- you're right about that series. A really good one and you don't see programs on geology like that too often. I gave it a B+. :thumbsupanim Now if I just find some even older rocks in my backyard so I can make a killing....

Steve

Backyard? Killing? I'm guessin you've completely hunted yer backyard, multiple times, maybe it's time to take a few steps BEYOND yer backyard. A killing? The odds are against ya, but "making a living" is totally possible, hell, I have to drive nothing less than 200+ miles, just to even try and hunt down glacially deposited, earthborn geological/mineralogical specimens, or spaceborn meteoritic debris. I wish I could walk out to my backyard and pick up a mineral, or meteorite that wasn't there yesterday, I'm not real happy with where I live.:angry-smiley-010[1]: