Nugget Shooter Forums

1 meteorite,1 suspect, and a definite wrong

Hi everyone, I figured a few folks watchin my posts were hoping I'd have some pics to back up my lip,so, per Bill's suggestion I signed up with photobucket and uploaded some photos. But I gotta tell ya, when it comes to "HTML" codes, and copying, and links, and pasting, I am dumber than a bag of hammers. I ended up E-mailing the pics back to myself, so here goes!

post-25539-0-13647900-1310352630_thumb.j

post-25539-0-15429600-1310352631_thumb.j

post-25539-0-71228600-1310352631_thumb.j

post-25539-0-92373400-1310361548_thumb.j

Darn near impossible to tell from the pix but my first guess is you got yourself a fine collection of leaverites and maybe a meteorwrong thrown in ... Hope I'm wrong ... Have you done all the testing? Cheers, Unc

Darn near impossible to tell from the pix but my first guess is you got yourself a fine collection of leaverites and maybe a meteorwrong thrown in ... Hope I'm wrong ... Have you done all the testing? Cheers, Unc

Hey Ron, the piece 2nd from the left is a Pyrite concretion oxidizing to limonite, 2nd from the right was my suspect, it's Fe rich, but no Ni, the ones on either end,those are the same piece. Thats my Rose City, it's pos.for Ni and it's currently at a lab in Vermont. I'm having a 30um slice cut and preped for petrographic analysis.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I figured a few folks watchin my posts were hoping I'd have some pics to back up my lip,so, per Bill's suggestion I signed up with photobucket and uploaded some photos. But I gotta tell ya, when it comes to "HTML" codes, and copying, and links, and pasting, I am dumber than a bag of hammers. I ended up E-mailing the pics back to myself, so here goes!

I've added a couple better pics of my "Rose city Aerolite"

post-25539-0-90433400-1312105229_thumb.j

post-25539-0-67139100-1312105269_thumb.j

post-25539-0-89671600-1312106135_thumb.j

post-25539-0-00409000-1312106281_thumb.j

Hey Ron, the piece 2nd from the left is a Pyrite concretion oxidizing to limonite, 2nd from the right was my suspect, it's Fe rich, but no Ni, the ones on either end,those are the same piece. Thats my Rose City, it's pos.for Ni and it's currently at a lab in Vermont. I'm having a 30um slice cut and preped for petrographic analysis.

What are the chances of taking this specimen outside in natural lighting and taking a picture of it???

Macro mode, no zoom, natural light.

I've looked at every Rose City meteorite I could find, and none of them have this smooth rounded outer surface. However, the pictures appear to be dull and in poor light.

I am very much interested in the lab results and the nickel tests too!

Thanks!

Jim

Hi Frank-

Is that the 7.6 gram specimen you recovered yourself? :hmmmmm: Nice looking piece and I like the way you have it displayed. :thumbsupanim

How was your trip last weekend?

Steve

Hey Steve, yes, set in the gold plated caliper is my "Rose City Aerolite" which is, as I write this, is still at a lab in Vermont gettin sliced,(just 2, 30um. petrographic slices), I should have from them, my itemized invoice/bill from them this week. And my trip last weekend to Allegan was ok, my friend cried bout the heat and camp conditions, but he'd never held a MD ever in his life, so with just some basic instructions, all of which he completely ignored, he dug on every signal he got, and dug up a lot of crap, he did however dig up a couple iron rich schists, a little over 400gms. each. But since I got back, did some more research and found at the american journal of science and arts an announcment to the Rochester Academy of Sciences by Henry L. Ward dated Oct 10th, 1899, a very much more detailed account of the specimen recovered, it's location, a 2nd. piece recovered nearby just northwest of the 1rst piece, and a much more accurate calculated flight path. So when I go out there again I'll be searching some other locations giving me better odds of finding something, hopefully.

What are the chances of taking this specimen outside in natural lighting and taking a picture of it???

I've looked at every Rose City meteorite I could find, and none of them have this smooth rounded outer surface. However, the pictures appear to be dull and in poor light.

Thanks!

Jim

I've come up with 2 better photos and this week I should get my itemized invoice/bill from a lab in Vermont cutting 2, "30um." petrographic slices from it for me, then another trip to MSU for some final analysis and testing to get my authenticity report. These thing take time, sorry.I will keep ya'll interested, posted!post-25539-0-80659300-1312438892_thumb.jpost-25539-0-31421900-1312438896_thumb.j

Thanks!

Jim